"Kids today"

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Ghost

Re: "Kids today"

Post by Ghost »

SDC wrote:i'm glad the Paleo-Left is finally leading this anti-free speech fight against their own creations.
For years, conservatives have railed against the suppression of free speech and increasing authoritarianism on college campuses — and they've been largely written off by the liberal establishment in academia.

But now, the culture that has been cultivated by liberal ideologues has turned against them, and they're fighting back.

The latest example comes from professor Edward Schlosser (a pseudonym), who wrote an article titled: "I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me."
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/were- ... le/2565566
So, you just posted a link to an article that basically just points back to the article Dan originally posted? And that's somehow reinforcing the original point in the article? Because what, someone read it? Haha... You're funny.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

SDC wrote:arent LIBERALS to blame for this? they're the ones running the schools and brainwashing the kids to behave in fascist ways, right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /28264153/
Only according to paranoid idiots.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Give me the young, impressionable kid. That one can be molded into something.
Exactly. I have had MUCH better success with hiring new grads. Actually, it is probably 3 fold better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why do you bother?

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I don't know. I need an intervention.

SDC

Post by SDC »

came out just today:

[video][/video]

Jerry Seinfeld avoids doing comedy on college campuses because, he says, overwhelming political correctness often stifles humor. Guys Friday Bernard McGuirk and Greg Gutfeld gave their perspectives. "For the past 40 years the politically correct movement has waged a war on language," Gutfeld groused, "and now comedians are figuring it out. This reminds me of prohibition, but instead of booze it's now language. There should be places on campus called 'speak easies,' where comedians and students could let the language flow." McGuirk took aim at the students and teachers who enforce the PC rules on campus. "These are pampered, brainwashed little jerks. These are people who worship Mumia Abu Jamal, they spit on cops, and they want to perpetuate the 'hands up, don't shoot' lie. It starts at the top with professors."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think political correctness has much to do with the idea of wanting cops not to gun down unarmed black people.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't think political correctness has much to do with the idea of wanting cops not to gun down unarmed black people.
That's because you are not racist.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So, the take away from all this is to only hire young people if you are Ghost or Indy and if you are Dan, never hire young people.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I'm not in HR, so if the ones they brought in were the best of the best . . . wow.

Mike Rowe is so great.

Last week at a policy conference in Mackinac, I talked to several hiring managers from a few of the largest companies in Michigan. They all told me the same thing - the biggest under reported challenge in finding good help, (aside from the inability to “piss clean,”) is an overwhelming lack of “soft skills.” That’s a polite way of saying that many applicants don’t tuck their shirts in, or pull their pants up, or look you in the eye, or say things like “please” and “thank you.” This is not a Michigan problem - this is a national crisis. We’re churning out a generation of poorly educated people with no skill, no ambition, no guidance, and no realistic expectations of what it means to go to work.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

So new applicants are often unprepared for their first interview? I have a hard time believing that wasn't an issue 30 years ago.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Nodack wrote:So, the take away from all this is to only hire young people if you are Ghost or Indy and if you are Dan, never hire young people.
My takeaway is that confirmation bias is exceptionally strong and very hard to identify when you are suffering from it.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Atlantic has an even-handed view related to "the younger generation" and related issues ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... on/394535/
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

LazarusLong wrote:The Atlantic has an even-handed view related to "the younger generation" and related issues ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... on/394535/
Great article, Laz. Thanks!
Ghost wrote:
Nodack wrote:So, the take away from all this is to only hire young people if you are Ghost or Indy and if you are Dan, never hire young people.
My takeaway is that confirmation bias is exceptionally strong and very hard to identify when you are suffering from it.
Bingo.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Blast from the past bump . . .

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nd/399356/

There’s a saying common in education circles: Don’t teach students what to think; teach them how to think. The idea goes back at least as far as Socrates. Today, what we call the Socratic method is a way of teaching that fosters critical thinking, in part by encouraging students to question their own unexamined beliefs, as well as the received wisdom of those around them. Such questioning sometimes leads to discomfort, and even to anger, on the way to understanding.

But vindictive protectiveness teaches students to think in a very different way. It prepares them poorly for professional life, which often demands intellectual engagement with people and ideas one might find uncongenial or wrong. The harm may be more immediate, too. A campus culture devoted to policing speech and punishing speakers is likely to engender patterns of thought that are surprisingly similar to those long identified by cognitive behavioral therapists as causes of depression and anxiety. The new protectiveness may be teaching students to think pathologically.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is creating a culture in which everyone must think twice before speaking up, lest they face charges of insensitivity, aggression, or worse.
I am a little confused that this is a bad thing. Shouldn't people think about what they say before saying it, especially if it is going to be divisive? I guess, unless you are Trump.

And maybe I am completely out of touch since I don't actually work/live/experience on-campus life anymore, but we bring in dozens of interns from all over the country every summer. I haven't seen this type of behavior very often, if at all.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Did you read the whole thing?

There's a world of difference between a professor trying to instruct on rape law and Trump. Totally different context.

What industry are you in? Most of the examples cited in the article seem to be law or humanities, although there's one incident in accounting that is just insane.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:Did you read the whole thing?

There's a world of difference between a professor trying to instruct on rape law and Trump. Totally different context.

What industry are you in? Most of the examples cited in the article seem to be law or humanities, although there's one incident in accounting that is just insane.
I did. There were some examples of some students acting stupid. I just wonder how prevalent this is. Like I said, I know it isn't a huge sample, but I have worked with close to 100 students over the past 8-10 years. I haven't seen a noticeable difference in how they act from 2005 to now... besides the fact that they keep getting younger (or I am just getting older).

We seem to see 'articles' like this every generation saying how the next generation is a bunch of babies that don't know what hard work is and they are sheltered. I think it goes back thousands of years, honestly.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

We seem to see 'articles' like this every generation saying how the next generation is a bunch of babies that don't know what hard work is and they are sheltered. I think it goes back thousands of years, honestly.

I don't know, I think it's different when you have the heads of various schools modifying their business practices. At that point it's not anecdotal, it's a trend.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:We seem to see 'articles' like this every generation saying how the next generation is a bunch of babies that don't know what hard work is and they are sheltered. I think it goes back thousands of years, honestly.

I don't know, I think it's different when you have the heads of various schools modifying their business practices. At that point it's not anecdotal, it's a trend.
Wait, maybe my comprehension isn't as good as it should be. Where in the post did you find that heads of various schools are modifying their business practices?