2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:36 am
Black, Gay Republican Heckled With Slurs at MAGA Event
https://www.newsweek.com/black-gay-repu ... nt-1853595
"Last night in Phoenix, I was confronted and surrounded by some White Supremacists that don't like gays or blacks in the Republican Party," Smith wrote in the post.

"They shouted 'n*****' and 'f*****' at me to make their point. However, I served in Iraq. I never back down. Ever."
That's absolutely disgusting. I did see this video earlier, and thought it was gross. I was there, as was my wife, my mother-in-law, and many others I know. No one saw anything like this there, and no one would have thought that was anything indicative of the people there. I know there have been inflitrations of bad actors though, as I saw that myself.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 am
Here are five random tweets proving that black people love Trump!!
Those are just 5, how many do you want? I even preferenced them prior, but here we are again.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So it was all fake. It didn’t happen and if it did the guy must have been an actor who hired all those fake Republicans to shout racial and gay slurs at him just to make the video. Everyone knows minorities are super welcome in MAGA and no Republican would ever say anything bad about minorities or lgbtq.

Random tweets by random people off the street is hardly scientific. I can make any point you want me to make based off of random X tweets. Go ahead, ask me to defend or attack anything you want and I will post dozens of Tweets proving my point. Apartheid is good or bad. Putin is a great guy or horrible monster. Is Covid real or fake? Did Trump win or lose? Pick one or make up one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:12 am
So it was all fake. It didn’t happen and if it did the guy must have been an actor who hired all those fake Republicans to shout racial and gay slurs at him just to make the video. Everyone knows minorities are super welcome in MAGA and no Republican would ever say anything bad about minorities or lgbtq.

Random tweets by random people off the street is hardly scientific. I can make any point you want me to make based off of random X tweets. Go ahead, ask me to defend or attack anything you want and I will post dozens of Tweets proving my point. Apartheid is good or bad. Putin is a great guy or horrible monster. Is Covid real or fake? Did Trump win or lose? Pick one or make up one.
I agree that tweets by random people off the street is hardly scientific, and it was also why I linked an article by politico and another poll that was done by Fox. I think you're missing the point or perhaps I'm not explaining it well enough.

As far as the video, I will take it at face value and think it is real, and it has no defense.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I appreciate that. I could easily find tweets of Dems saying bad things about minorities too.

Your point being some blacks have turned into Trump supporters is most likely true. Lots of people that would normally be pro Biden and Dem are now not nearly as pro as they were. Biden’s support of Israel has cost him support with the college crowd. I don’t think they like Trump either. They just hate the US government and that aligns them with Maga.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:30 am
Right; it's super rare for an incumbent to step aside. The race is basically Biden vs Trump. I think it's fine to just accept that and decide accordingly whom to vote for. And when one candidate's flaw is that he literally says he will be a dictator, and the other one's flaw is that he is old, the decision is pretty easy to me.
Then you better accept President Trump 2024, because it’s happening. Sigh. Don’t want to hear any shock, disgust, threats to move to a different country. Because you were part of the problem, not the solution. You had an airplane destined to crash and you were content to let it fail instead of course correcting to save the passengers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't have any crystal balls, but my reading of the situation is that something will happen that removes Biden from running in '24. It feels like there is a bit of panic in the air, and perhaps they will have an actual cognitive assesment and make it public that shows him to not be fit any longer, which then invokes the 25th amendment. This is purely hypothetical, and a thousand different type scenarios could play out, but from my POV, it doesn't seem like Biden will ultimately be the nominee. But like I said, I'm no prophet or fortune teller, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:09 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Right; it's super rare for an incumbent to step aside. The race is basically Biden vs Trump. I think it's fine to just accept that and decide accordingly whom to vote for. And when one candidate's flaw is that he literally says he will be a dictator, and the other one's flaw is that he is old, the decision is pretty easy to me.
Then you better accept President Trump 2024, because it’s happening. Sigh. Don’t want to hear any shock, disgust, threats to move to a different country. Because you were part of the problem, not the solution. You had an airplane destined to crash and you were content to let it fail instead of course correcting to save the passengers.
I don't get this thinking at all. I don't think I am "part of the problem." The problem is Trump and Trump supporters wanting to bring fascism to the US. The only practical thing I can do about that is vote for Trump's opponent. I assume that his opponent will be Joe Biden, and if it is him, I will vote for him. If for some reason some other Democrat becomes the nominee, I will vote for that person, too.

FWIW I actually think Joe Biden has been just fine as President. I think he is mentally and cognitively fit to serve, and I'm totally fine voting for him for a second term. I agree that he is slower in his old age, but I don't think he has slowed down to a degree that makes him unable to govern. And if I look at his policies and record, I am mostly happy with what he's done as POTUS. I can always wish for more/better, but overall I am very happy with the way things have turned around after getting Trump out of office. I think most of the "Joe must go" talk is just optics because people think he acts old. But he and his cabinet have done a lot of good things in the past 3 years. I'll take 4 more of that, please.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am
I don't have any crystal balls, but my reading of the situation is that something will happen that removes Biden from running in '24. It feels like there is a bit of panic in the air, and perhaps they will have an actual cognitive assesment and make it public that shows him to not be fit any longer, which then invokes the 25th amendment. This is purely hypothetical, and a thousand different type scenarios could play out, but from my POV, it doesn't seem like Biden will ultimately be the nominee. But like I said, I'm no prophet or fortune teller, so take it with a grain of salt.
I would bet you a large sum of money that this will not happen. There is absolutely positively no way that the 25th Amendment will be invoked to remove Joe Biden from office. Too many people would be acting against their own (and their party's own) self-interest by doing that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:39 am
In2ition wrote:
I would bet you a large sum of money that this will not happen. There is absolutely positively no way that the 25th Amendment will be invoked to remove Joe Biden from office. Too many people would be acting against their own (and their party's own) self-interest by doing that.
Oh no, I'm not confident enough to put my hard earned money on the line. I thought I made that clear multiple times, lol.

Tell you what, I'll make a gentleman's bet and buy drinks when you are in town if he makes it on final the ballot.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:51 am
Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:36 am
Black, Gay Republican Heckled With Slurs at MAGA Event
https://www.newsweek.com/black-gay-repu ... nt-1853595
"Last night in Phoenix, I was confronted and surrounded by some White Supremacists that don't like gays or blacks in the Republican Party," Smith wrote in the post.

"They shouted 'n*****' and 'f*****' at me to make their point. However, I served in Iraq. I never back down. Ever."
That's absolutely disgusting. I did see this video earlier, and thought it was gross. I was there, as was my wife, my mother-in-law, and many others I know. No one saw anything like this there, and no one would have thought that was anything indicative of the people there. I know there have been inflitrations of bad actors though, as I saw that myself.
They were probably Antifa and CIA undercover. If no one saw it, it didn't happen.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Yeah, thanks a lot Marty! Those passengers are on your hands!

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
We will see. Maybe you are. Although, it would be better for him to step down rather going out that way if it were to happen.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:55 am
Oh no, I'm not confident enough to put my hard earned money on the line. I thought I made that clear multiple times, lol.

Tell you what, I'll make a gentleman's bet and buy drinks when you are in town if he makes it on final the ballot.
Sure, one drink purchase as a gentleman's wager. Next time I'm in PHX we'll see to it. I actually haven't gotten to Phoenix in some time (though I visit Tucson to see family 2-3 times a year), so I'll have to drive up for a .net get-together at some point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Will probably be overturned by the US Supreme Court:

Colorado Supreme Court, in landmark ruling, bans Trump from state’s ballot under insurrection clause
https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-supreme ... 00028.html?

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I want Trump gone very bad, but I don't like these state laws trying to bar him from being on the ballot. He hasn't been convicted of anything yet in federal court, and I think folks will feel that he is being barred from the state ballot without due process (though I think he did have a hearing/trial there, fwiw, and lost?). Republicans will point to this if Biden wins and say that the Dems rigged the election. Or it'll justify in their minds any malfeasance that they may want to commit in 2024.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:05 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Don’t be an ass, control yourself

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:53 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:05 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Don’t be an ass, control yourself
Relax, dude. It was a hypothetical and it was a joke.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In his defense, my avatar is an inflatable pilot. (named Otto)