Partisan Politics Good For America?

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Dan H

Re: Partisan Politics Good For America?

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. More troops in Iraq? And of course they wait until right after the midterms.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli ... y-n1919710

"I always tell my friends on the Democratic side, we will rue the day when we helped create this uber presidency," he said. "What the Democrats are creating is something very very dangerous. They're creating a president who can go at it alone and to go at it alone is something that is a very danger that the framers sought to avoid in our constitution."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

As a followup to above, wow.

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/11/17/th ... challenge/

Cue the left calling Turley a RWNJ in 3. . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:As a followup to above, wow.

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/11/17/th ... challenge/

Cue the left calling Turley a RWNJ in 3. . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
This will be interesting, especially if the suit inevitably stretches well into the next presidency.

And who do you consider the left? Just curious, because to me, there is a huge difference gap between each of MSNBC, CNN, and Fox. I can't see anyone less left than MSNBC saying that about him.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

MSNBC, essentially. Although it's been interesting to see how the media has turned on Sharyl Atkisson. They gave her awards for going after the Bush admin and she's been ostracized for doing the same thing to Obama.

Indy

Post by Indy »

From what I can tell from reading her wikipedia page (I know...) she received awards for all kinds of journalism up through 2012, which included many non-politicized issues, but then plenty of political ones too. None of them appear to have anything to do with Bush or his administration. Many have to do with Obama (TARP, Fast and Furious, Clinton). But she did just write a book about how she was oppressed by CBS news because of Obama. Not sure there is any evidence of this, but she is trying to sell a book about it. Again, not passing judgment, but she does have years of award-winning journalism, including plenty of stuff against Obama, so I am not sure about the statement of them turning on her or not recognizing her reporting.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Book is pretty interesting on how 'the sausage is made' in the news business. Give it a whirl from the library if you don't feel like buying.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dan H wrote:http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli ... y-n1919710

"I always tell my friends on the Democratic side, we will rue the day when we helped create this uber presidency," he said. "What the Democrats are creating is something very very dangerous. They're creating a president who can go at it alone and to go at it alone is something that is a very danger that the framers sought to avoid in our constitution."
Every party says things like this when they are not in power, because they feel like the President is overstepping his bounds and doing a bunch of things they don't want done. People said it plenty about W Bush, such as when he went to war in Iraq without cause. I think we all want the President to do more when he's "our guy" and want him to do nothing at all when he's from the "enemy" party.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu wrote:

Every party says things like this when they are not in power, because they feel like the President is overstepping his bounds and doing a bunch of things they don't want done. People said it plenty about W Bush, such as when he went to war in Iraq without cause. I think we all want the President to do more when he's "our guy" and want him to do nothing at all when he's from the "enemy" party.
One problem with your assertion - Turley is a Democrat.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Just like with Obamacare, Obama and his party go to every length humanly possible to reach across the isle.

Oh wait :
Obama has invited Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the leaders of the congressional Asian, Black and Hispanic caucuses, said the aides, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the plans.

Obama did not invite GOP leaders to the meeting, according to aides.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... s-tonight/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

One problem with your assertion - Turley is a Democrat.
From what I've read, Turley wouldn't ascribe to a party (unlike most of Americans) and has a specific agenda to ensure Presidents don't overstep their authority. He even says "the democrats" instead of "we".

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Indy wrote:From what I can tell from reading her wikipedia page (I know...) she received awards for all kinds of journalism up through 2012, which included many non-politicized issues, but then plenty of political ones too. None of them appear to have anything to do with Bush or his administration. Many have to do with Obama (TARP, Fast and Furious, Clinton). But she did just write a book about how she was oppressed by CBS news because of Obama. Not sure there is any evidence of this, but she is trying to sell a book about it. Again, not passing judgment, but she does have years of award-winning journalism, including plenty of stuff against Obama, so I am not sure about the statement of them turning on her or not recognizing her reporting.
http://humanevents.com/2014/11/20/fast- ... attkisson/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:
Indy wrote:From what I can tell from reading her wikipedia page (I know...) she received awards for all kinds of journalism up through 2012, which included many non-politicized issues, but then plenty of political ones too. None of them appear to have anything to do with Bush or his administration. Many have to do with Obama (TARP, Fast and Furious, Clinton). But she did just write a book about how she was oppressed by CBS news because of Obama. Not sure there is any evidence of this, but she is trying to sell a book about it. Again, not passing judgment, but she does have years of award-winning journalism, including plenty of stuff against Obama, so I am not sure about the statement of them turning on her or not recognizing her reporting.
http://humanevents.com/2014/11/20/fast- ... attkisson/
I'm a little slow tonight. Where in there did it show the liberal media turning on her?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The White House going to a reporter's boss to shut down her stories is a nothing burger? A'ight then.

Indy

Post by Indy »

No, I get that. I think that happens at every level of government at every level of journalism. Probably even more in the corporate world. Happens from corporate sponsors of journalists all the time. Look at ESPN.

You said the media turned on her as soon as she started reporting on issues affecting the White House. I'm trying to see where this happened. Having the targets of her criticism turn on her isn't the same thing.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Fair enough. She went from having regular guest spots on 60 Minutes to having her stories relegated to their web page. She'd show on CBS Nightly News several times a week only to get shut out. Like I said, she goes into it more in depth in the book.

See here:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 84836.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is this recent Dan? She was still winning awards for her journalism in 2012.