DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Post by In2ition »

Looks like a lot of truckers are refusing to deliver to NYC now. There may be enough to keep Manhattan from starving, but if this really turns into a crisis, Hochul will issue the National Guard to facilitate deliveries.

On top of that, O'Leary is making the claim that given the choice, who would want to take the chance on developing in NY?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What fraud? The fraud he was found guilty of in a court of law.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There was no victim in this crime, so who gets the restitution of the $350 million? Who was at a loss and needs to be repaid?

Maybe you aren't understanding what he's saying, or maybe you didn't even listen to him. He's saying that in every city in the country and every business in NYC does exactly what Trump was accused of. Therefore, they could all be arbitrarily gone after and ruled against, if the judge and DA decide that they are public enemy #1 at the moment. This is another version of the 'Two Minutes of Hate' from 1984.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The everyone else cheats so, why am I punished excuse? If it doesn’t matter why did he feel the need to cheat? I’ve just decided my house is worth $1,000,000,000. I should be able to get a good rate from the bank with those numbers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 am
The everyone else cheats so, why am I punished excuse? If it doesn’t matter why did he feel the need to cheat? I’ve just decided my house is worth $1,000,000,000. I should be able to get a good rate from the bank with those numbers.
You realize that you can claim whatever you want, but the bank also does assessment of your house's worth too before they decide that you are not a risk to lend to, right?

I'm not making the excuse that you say I am. I'm saying that these other businesses are worried that they could be targets too. Why take the risk to be targeted?

Who, as in victim, gets repaid with the $350 million? Someone must have lost out on $350 million that they were cheated out of. Who is it?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They all know it’s illegal. Many take the risk to save money and get a good rate. I come back to the car pool lane thing again. Half the people in the car pool lane aren’t allowed to be there but they know enforcement of the law is pretty much nonexistent so, they cheat because they know they can get away with it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:38 am
They all know it’s illegal. Many take the risk to save money and get a good rate. I come back to the car pool lane thing again. Half the people in the car pool lane aren’t allowed to be there but they know enforcement of the law is pretty much nonexistent so, they cheat because they know they can get away with it.
No, no one is doing it with the knowledge of it being illegal. They do it, because they believe that it's the correct value of their assests, and the bank agrees or does not agree. In Trump's case, the bank actually came to his defense, but that didn't matter to the arbitrary value that the judge assigned. That's why the judge valued Mar a Lago at only being worth $18 million, which is insane, because the judge is suffering from some mental disorder.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t agree. They ALL do it with the knowledge that they are intentionally inflating their values just like at tax time they ALL do the opposite and claim their property isn’t worth much less than they claimed for the banks. Trump totally did this. One astronomical number for the banks and then divide that by 100 to get the tax time valuation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:13 pm
I don’t agree. They ALL do it with the knowledge that they are intentionally inflating their values just like at tax time they ALL do the opposite and claim their property isn’t worth much less than they claimed for the banks. Trump totally did this. One astronomical number for the banks and then divide that by 100 to get the tax time valuation.
Tax valuation isn't done by Trump. That's done by the State & City. Just like your property taxes are done. I'm assuming that you didn't create your own tax valuation with the city of Scottsdale.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:19 pm
Nodack wrote:
Tax valuation isn't done by Trump. That's done by the State & City. Just like your property taxes are done. I'm assuming that you didn't create your own tax valuation with the city of Scottsdale.
Incorrect... Trumps valuations he did were for his business and anyone can have their property appraised outside of what the counties do (I did this for a living :P).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:45 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Incorrect... Trumps valuations he did were for his business and anyone can have their property appraised outside of what the counties do (I did this for a living :P).
I know he can get an appraisal on his own properties, but would the government not do one themselves?

So, specifically which one would the city, county or state use for the valuation? Would it be considered tax fraud if the valuation was too low, and was he charged with tax fraud?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:42 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
I know he can get an appraisal on his own properties, but would the government not do one themselves?

So, specifically which one would the city, county or state use for the valuation? Would it be considered tax fraud if the valuation was too low, and was he charged with tax fraud?
I don't know about NY law but AZ law only has the counties appraise property for valuation and tax purposes and the method to which we value property is very hand tied to a certain calendar time frame in order to determine valuations. Property appraisal for purposes of determining ones over all wealth or for real estate purposes are done by different time guidelines. So for the 2024 property valuations, county assessors have to look at sales from all of 2022 and the first half of 2023 because we'd have to have time to validate sales before putting them into a valuation. When a real estate appraiser does it, they're looking for the most current sales they can possibly find in order to determine a market value. Typically the county tries to always error on the side of caution to avoid appeals so we have a rule of setting values at 82% of market values. Just helps maintain appeals.... Back in 2008, it was an utter nightmare because we couldn't increase fast enough the previous year, and couldn't reduce fast enough the following year. We had SO MANY APPEALS :(.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Depends on their law.... if the county's do it there, the county would set the value. You'd have to show that the florida county appraised it for that much.. I GUARANTY if they did, his tax bill would be so ridiculous and he'd be saying it's a worthless piece of swamp land.

Fun fact... Sarver pulled some bullshit rent a cow shenanigans I tried like hell to stop; but that's a whole other story. I could write a book on it but don't want to be "Don Boles'd".

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Depends on their law.... if the county's do it there, the county would set the value. You'd have to show that the florida county appraised it for that much.. I GUARANTY if they did, his tax bill would be so ridiculous and he'd be saying it's a worthless piece of swamp land.

Fun fact... Sarver pulled some bullshit rent a cow shenanigans I tried like hell to stop; but that's a whole other story. I could write a book on it but don't want to be "Don Boles'd".
Is that anything like his rent a goat shenanigans?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:07 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Is that anything like his rent a goat shenanigans?
Ha ha. That's what I was thinking of.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I don't know about NY law but AZ law only has the counties appraise property for valuation and tax purposes and the method to which we value property is very hand tied to a certain calendar time frame in order to determine valuations. Property appraisal for purposes of determining ones over all wealth or for real estate purposes are done by different time guidelines. So for the 2024 property valuations, county assessors have to look at sales from all of 2022 and the first half of 2023 because we'd have to have time to validate sales before putting them into a valuation. When a real estate appraiser does it, they're looking for the most current sales they can possibly find in order to determine a market value. Typically the county tries to always error on the side of caution to avoid appeals so we have a rule of setting values at 82% of market values. Just helps maintain appeals.... Back in 2008, it was an utter nightmare because we couldn't increase fast enough the previous year, and couldn't reduce fast enough the following year. We had SO MANY APPEALS :(.
Thank you for the information.

So we don't know for sure if he set the tax valuation through his appraisal or the city/county/state did, right?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:34 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:

So we don't know for sure if he set the tax valuation through his appraisal or the city/county/state did, right?
From what I've heard, read he set this number himself; hence the fraud issue. If the municipality had set it, there wouldn't have been a case.

Now what would be hilarious and something I always clamored to do when I was in litigation but our county attorney/assessor were chicken shit... Use the taxpayers information against him. If he's claiming it's worth that much.... as the Assessor, you could theoretically put the value to that (in certain situations) and once he got his tax bill.. Damn, he'd be getting creamed in taxes.

One issues I dealt with a lot is people claiming to have properties in agricultural use to get the property valuation set to that which is a FAR lower number than the market valuation we'd set. Tons of fraud went on with this stuff. Tons. I saw a lot of big developers and land barons play this game... Sarver was one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:34 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:

From what I've heard, read he set this number himself; hence the fraud issue. If the municipality had set it, there wouldn't have been a case.

Now what would be hilarious and something I always clamored to do when I was in litigation but our county attorney/assessor were chicken shit... Use the taxpayers information against him. If he's claiming it's worth that much.... as the Assessor, you could theoretically put the value to that (in certain situations) and once he got his tax bill.. Damn, he'd be getting creamed in taxes.

One issues I dealt with a lot is people claiming to have properties in agricultural use to get the property valuation set to that which is a FAR lower number than the market valuation we'd set. Tons of fraud went on with this stuff. Tons. I saw a lot of big developers and land barons play this game... Sarver was one.
This is very interesting. I don't set my own valuation of my home, so this is curious.

So everyone in NYC set their own valuation for tax purposes? That's a lot of businesses in Manhattan alone.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump’s Company Paid Bribes to Reduce Property Taxes, Assessors Say
Five former city employees and a former Trump Organization employee say the company used middlemen to pay New York City tax assessors to lower building assessments and pay less taxes in the 1980s and 1990s.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... essors-say

Trump says Mar-a-Lago is worth $1.8 billion. Not long ago, his own company thought that was over $1.7 billion too high.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-mar- ... -too-high/
After a New York judge ruled on Tuesday that Donald Trump and his company had for years used fraudulent methods to value his properties, Trump zeroed in on the ruling's section about his home: Mar-a-Lago.

"This highly partisan Democrat 'Judge' (All the Clubs, etc.) just ruled that Mar-a-Lago was WORTH just 18 Million Dollars when, in fact, it may be worth 100 times that amount," Trump wrote. In fact, the judge had cited Palm Beach County Property Appraiser valuations putting the property at between $18 million and $28 million, depending on the year, from 2011 to 2021. Trump might think Mar-a-Lago is worth $1.8 billion, but in 2020, his own company said the Palm Beach appraiser was right. That year, the county valued Mar-a-Lago at $27 million.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 am
Trump’s Company Paid Bribes to Reduce Property Taxes, Assessors Say
Five former city employees and a former Trump Organization employee say the company used middlemen to pay New York City tax assessors to lower building assessments and pay less taxes in the 1980s and 1990s.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... essors-say

Trump says Mar-a-Lago is worth $1.8 billion. Not long ago, his own company thought that was over $1.7 billion too high.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-mar- ... -too-high/
After a New York judge ruled on Tuesday that Donald Trump and his company had for years used fraudulent methods to value his properties, Trump zeroed in on the ruling's section about his home: Mar-a-Lago.

"This highly partisan Democrat 'Judge' (All the Clubs, etc.) just ruled that Mar-a-Lago was WORTH just 18 Million Dollars when, in fact, it may be worth 100 times that amount," Trump wrote. In fact, the judge had cited Palm Beach County Property Appraiser valuations putting the property at between $18 million and $28 million, depending on the year, from 2011 to 2021. Trump might think Mar-a-Lago is worth $1.8 billion, but in 2020, his own company said the Palm Beach appraiser was right. That year, the county valued Mar-a-Lago at $27 million.
One of the images our instructors loved to use in appraisal school was this one….

They’ll need an updated one for trump.