Election Day 2016 Megathread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Cap

Re: Election Day 2016 Megathread

Post by Cap »

Anybody who names Joe Arpaio, Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich and Rudi Giuliani to his cabinet is obviously not serious about eliminating corruption. More like he's determined to rehabilitate the reputations of Harding and Nixon by showing us it could be worse.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ugh Joe Arpaio, scum of the earth.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn't hear about him picking Joe. I guess he needed a job now that he has been ousted. Joe has a history of holding grudges just like Trump. I'm not religious but, God help us.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The history of draining the swamp goes back a long time.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_vall ... swamp.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /92377656/
Speaking for the second time in two days about his ethics plan, Trump called for:

• A constitutional amendment imposing term limits on members of Congress
• A ban on federal employees lobbying the government for five years
• A ban on members of Congress lobbying for five years
• Tighter rules about what constitutes a lobbyist, instead of letting people call themselves consultants
• Campaign finance reform limiting what foreign companies can raise for American political candidates
• A ban on senior government officials lobbying for foreign governments

We have to give new voices a chance … so we can have a government that works again and can function properly …” Trump said.

New voices like Giuliani, Christy, Gingrich and Arpaio not to mention the rest of the cast who are all old Washington insiders and lobbyists.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:I don't have any first hand experience dealing with Trump or even being a customer at one of his properties, but it sounds like you have. As far as cleansing corruption, according to the pristine record of wikileaks, he's already booted out the alleged most corrupt political family to ever be in DC.
:roll: keep trollin' along, buddy.
Why the face, an eye roll? That Informer's trademarked response you're stealing. Besides, who trolling who?
I was stating an honest opinion. You responded with a snarky response about personally having done business with Trump. Come on man!
You can't have an honest opinion without having personally done business with him, just like minorities can't be persecuted with murderous robot sentinels.

Snark is generally supposed to have a point. I don't know what point In2 is trying to make, other than that he's an a******.
Thanks Cap. I appreciate your honest opinion of me, and I'll try better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Has Trump released the names to his cabinet positions or is this just speculation? I do not want to see Sheriff Joe in any position there.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How prophetic!

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

His cabinet isn't set in stone yet, but they are working on it. Campaign CEO Steve Bannon is working on it? The leader of Breitbart? That is crazy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Drudge in charge of something important.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-el ... rs-n682341

Vice President-elect Mike Pence will take charge of Donald Trump's transition to the White House, the president-elect's team announced Friday.

Pence will take the reins from New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who was originally tapped to run the transition effort. Christie will still be involved, becoming one of several vice-chairs.

The transition team includes campaign CEO Steve Bannon, Silicon Valley titan Peter Thiel, RNC chair Reince Priebus, three of Trump's children — Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, Ivanka Trump — and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Kushner and Bannon will whittle down names for Cabinet positions, campaign sources told NBC News.

But despite Donald Trump's campaign pledge to "drain the swamp" in Washington and his outsider campaign, many of the prospects are clear Washington insiders.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How easy would it be to have all outsiders on the transition team? How realistic is that? Just put together the best team, and tackle the issues that benefit all the country.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Any team that involves Rudy Giuliani is automatically disqualified from being regarded as the best in anything, except at being an asshat.

Oh, and same for Bannon. I wish bad things upon both.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:How easy would it be to have all outsiders on the transition team? How realistic is that? Just put together the best team, and tackle the issues that benefit all the country.
How realistic is it that Trump, a guy who has never held ANY office becomes President? That is what his followers liked the most about him. He attacked career politicians including those on his own side and said he would drain the swamp of all those career politicians. Picking Giuliani, Christy, Gingrich, three career politicians and horrible human beings as his top guys is the opposite of draining the swamp. Picking Bannon as the CEO of your campaign and helping to head up the transition team is scary as hell. Have you ever read Breitbart? It's extremist right wing headquarters. They make FOX News look like a liberal news outlet. I was banned from there after 1-2 posts. I expect Matt Drudge and David Duke to be picked to head something along with Assange is he wasn't wanted for rape and in hiding.

They are in charge and there is nothing we can do about it. Maybe they aren't as insane as I think they are. Maybe they aren't as horrible of human beings as I think they are. One thing is for sure. We will find out pretty shortly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My Facebook has been really sad this whole week. It's hard to get over this election. Acts of violence breaking out across the country. Trump announcing absolutely moronic choices for important and powerful cabinet positions. I'm scared. I think he has the ability to do damage that will take us decades to fix.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:My Facebook has been really sad this whole week. It's hard to get over this election. Acts of violence breaking out across the country. Trump announcing absolutely moronic choices for important and powerful cabinet positions. I'm scared. I think he has the ability to do damage that will take us decades to fix.
Has he actually named his cabinet yet? I can't find any confirmation of that .

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think he has the ability to do damage that will take us decades to fix.
That's optimism. When it comes to climate change, he has the ability to do damage that can never be fixed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think he has the ability to do damage that will take us decades to fix.
That's optimism. When it comes to climate change, he has the ability to do damage that can never be fixed.
I did read that because of polution, we've delayed the next ice age that would have occurred in 50,000 years by another 50,000 years.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought this was interesting, although a little like MisterRadient.
Viewers beware

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That WAS interesting. Thanks for the link.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:

Of all the things to worry about with trump, climate change is something I selfishly couldn't care less about.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
I did read that because of polution, we've delayed the next ice age that would have occurred in 50,000 years by another 50,000 years.
Oh, you read that somewhere? OK, I'm convinced. Pollution is good.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Oh, you read that somewhere? OK, I'm convinced. Pollution is good.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/14/world/ice-age-postponed/
No need to get all snarky and salty. I didn't say that pollution was good.