Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:19 pm
You could be right, but she seems well qualified and no need to get whipped up into a frenzy of rhetoric, hyperbole, and name calling.
I appreciate your willingness to give her a fair appraisal and not be reflexively partisan about it. She does seem to have a small amount of judicial experience, but so did Kavanaugh and Barrett; in fact I read that she has more than they did when they were nominated, so, meh. I read that she has background as a public defender, which is rare for a justice. Usually they're former prosecuting attorneys. The argument is that having a formber defender on the Court will make it more sympathetic to the point of view of the accused, more sympathetic and open-minded, etc.
I'm certainly not opposed to that. It at least let's her see a different perspective on Constitutional issues in respect to rights and freedoms. Or at least in theory you would think it would.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:20 pm
I think she will get 2-3 GOP votes.
Collins. Murkowski. Just maybe Romney, who really is more of a center-right guy, just not a treasonous one.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This seems like good news. I almost made an "The Economy" thread, but, meh. I read elsewhere that 90% of the jobs lost during the pandemic have been restored by now, but not sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mostly think polls don't carry much weight right now since we're so far from an election. But I do think it's likely that Biden's numbers will climb if folks continue to see the Ukraine effort as being well handled and if COVID continues to decline. Those are two obvious areas of concern to many voters. These might be offset if inflation continues and gas prices go up, but we'll see.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How high do you guys think gas prices will go up to? What is the ceiling on this? I'm essentially a 1 income family(my wife works about 5 hours a week), so this particular issue might hit me harder than some of the fat cats here.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:02 am
How high do you guys think gas prices will go up to? What is the ceiling on this? I'm essentially a 1 income family(my wife works about 5 hours a week), so this particular issue might hit me harder than some of the fat cats here.
what percent of your monthly income do you currently spend on gasoline?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:20 am
In2ition wrote:
what percent of your monthly income do you currently spend on gasoline?
I think it's about 10% gross.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Are you a truck driver? Or do you drive a 10 mpg vehicle and commute +50 miles each way each day?

Because the average household income in AZ is ~60k. That would mean 6k per month in fuel costs. At the $3.00 per gallon over the last year, that would be 45 gallons per week.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Long-term, gas is going to get crushingly expensive. Within our lifetimes it will become completely impractical to drive a vehicle powered by gas. It may happen this year, or it may happen 5 or 10 years from now. But it won't hold for 30 years. And when it happens, it won't be the fault of some President or Congress. It's just the truth about this very finite resource on our planet running out.

It wouldn't surprise me to see gas be north of $8 a gallon by 2025.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 am
Are you a truck driver? Or do you drive a 10 mpg vehicle and commute +50 miles each way each day?

Because the average household income in AZ is ~60k. That would mean 6k per month in fuel costs. At the $3.00 per gallon over the last year, that would be 45 gallons per week.
Well, I have 2 cars in my family. One is a 2000 buick lesabre(a bit of a gas guzzler) and a 2012 dodge grand caravan that my wife drives. I'm not sure what the 20 questions in regards to my personal life is leading, Indy. Do you have a point?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:31 am
Indy wrote:

Well, I have 2 cars in my family. One is a 2000 buick lesabre(a bit of a gas guzzler) and a 2012 dodge grand caravan that my wife drives. I'm not sure what the 20 questions in regards to my personal life is leading, Indy. Do you have a point?
I don't have a point to make--I was trying to learn how how someone can spend >6k on gas when you said you are the only one working (more than a handful of hours per week). I assumed you had an awful commute each day or you drove for your job. I just didn't want to assume and wanted to confirm.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:43 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:31 am
Indy wrote:

I don't have a point to make--I was trying to learn how how someone can spend >6k on gas when you said you are the only one working (more than a handful of hours per week). I assumed you had an awful commute each day or you drove for your job. I just didn't want to assume and wanted to confirm.
My wife only works about 5 hrs a week. I work over 40-50 per, like most people. My work commute isn't bad, but my youngest son goes to school outside our district, so that's my main commute problem. I do not drive for a living. I work in IT.

Indy

Post by Indy »

My daughter's daily practices moved from 4 miles from our house, to 40 minutes away. That has definitely upped our fuel costs. I wish there were good electric vehicle options.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:27 am
In2ition wrote:
Long-term, gas is going to get crushingly expensive. Within our lifetimes it will become completely impractical to drive a vehicle powered by gas. It may happen this year, or it may happen 5 or 10 years from now. But it won't hold for 30 years. And when it happens, it won't be the fault of some President or Congress. It's just the truth about this very finite resource on our planet running out.

It wouldn't surprise me to see gas be north of $8 a gallon by 2025.
Ugh, $8+ is going to be rough.

The push for zero emissions is quite a goal. What does that mean exactly? Will all power be coming from hydro-electric, wind generators, nuclear, & solar? Did I miss some?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think I spend less than $50 a month on gas…thank goodness for a short commute

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:30 am
with the increased prices, we are probably right around $100 a month.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
I'm extremely jealous.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:36 am
Split T wrote:
I'm extremely jealous.
I live 2 miles from work and I work 3 12’s…so my 12 miles a week commuting is basically nothing

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I guess I'm a single fat cat. I'm willing to pay whatever to punish Russia. I hit my record fill up of $85 a few times in the last couple months. My car takes premium gasoline.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Almost all cars will be electric in the next ten years as per the auto makers statements. Gas prices are super high as a result of many things happening in the news. I see what is going on in the Ukraine and what the Russians and the Ukrainians are going through and I feel lucky that my problems are high gas prices. It could be a LOT worse.