Election Day 2016 Megathread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SDC

Re: Election Day 2016 Megathread

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:
SDC wrote:whoa...

Add: 'Bass claimed her attack was part of the surge in hate crimes following the election of Donald Trump a week earlier'

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... lty_1.html
He lit some fireworks at the protest. Wow. Real criminal. You're such a troll man. You make me sick. I'm grateful for not having the real you in my life because your board presence really gives me lost hope for humanity. As if it weren't already low these days. You'll get a pass from others for whatever reason on here. But I'm done. Wiping my hands clean of your disgusting graces around these parts. Haven't used the ban feature because even bad seeds have grown that I've met. Deuces.
if you have nothing intelligent to say, it's better to stay silent than to open one's mouth and let the world know. the degenerate that was arrested was VP tim kaine's son.
Kaine and four others were arrested on suspicion of second-degree riot. He was released from the Ramsey County jail Tuesday morning pending further investigation.

Sen. Tim Kaine release a statement Tuesday night to the Pioneer Press:

“We love that our three children have their own views and concerns about current political issues,” he said. “They fully understand the responsibility to express those concerns peacefully.”
tim kaine himself is not coming at this with clean hands

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/01/ ... ets-trump/

is the senator encouraging violence?

SDC

Post by SDC »

He lit some fireworks at the protest. Wow. Real criminal. You're such a troll man. You make me sick. I'm grateful for not having the real you in my life because your board presence really gives me lost hope for humanity. As if it weren't already low these days. You'll get a pass from others for whatever reason on here. But I'm done. Wiping my hands clean of your disgusting graces around these parts. Haven't used the ban feature because even bad seeds have grown that I've met. Deuces.
so you feel microaggressed and violently triggered that you want to ban me over tim kaine son's hijinks? that's the straw that broke the camel's back? why not avoid the Politics forum completely?

update: hey! maxine waters is right for once

SDC

Post by SDC »

donald trump played by a woman, and hillary clinton played by a man

[youtube][/youtube]

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicat ... ersal.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
SDC wrote:whoa...

Add: 'Bass claimed her attack was part of the surge in hate crimes following the election of Donald Trump a week earlier'

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... lty_1.html
AIG, make life easy on yourself. Here's what I see:

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

see, we have different approaches. i've never put anybody on ignore in this forum, even the idiots. you confront them if they give you an opening.

SDC

Post by SDC »

this is worth pondering.
The fact that two different speeches triggered violence at two different campuses within the space of a month suggests that we may be entering into a new and more dangerous phase of the anti-free-speech movement. Free-speech advocates, particularly the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, have done a great job pushing back against overweening college administrations that try to curtail the speech of students and professors. But these are actions coming from the students. Who do you sue to keep a mob of students from resorting to the heckler’s veto, or their fists, to combat ideas they don’t like?

I reached out to Greg Lukianoff, the president of FIRE, to ask him that question. Greg agrees that while it’s early to call this a trend, there are definitely some warning signs. Hitting people with sticks and starting fires “does seem to us to be a new and scary thing,” he says.

Why is it happening? He points to one possible contributing factor. “One thing we really noticed that things had changed was the progression of ‘safety’ into meaning ‘perfectly comfortable,'” he said. Once you’ve defined words as being equivalent to assault, then you’re plausibly justified in using violence to repel the threat.

That’s basically the logic of the editorials that the Berkeley student newspaper published in defense of the rioters.
Well, people who have never learned to think or argue can’t use their words. So, like a toddler, they scream. Funny, you never see these freakouts at trade schools.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/259072/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC, you're on thin ice here. I don't like deleting posts or silencing posters, but you are actively making the Politics area worse. You are posting too frequently, and your posts and links often contain inflammatory content. You gleefully post a link to some insult on Twitter or Breitbart, followed by an interjection such as "Boom!" That does not contribute anything useful to this thread or discussion board area, and in fact makes it worse.

I am not asking you to alter your political views, but I do ask you to please consider how you have been expressing them here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://thehill.com/regulation/325963-tr ... sting-rule
President Trump repealed the so-called “blacklisting rule” Monday that required federal contractors to disclose labor violations.

The Obama-era rule was intended to prevent the government from contracting with businesses responsible for wage theft or workplace safety violations at any point within the last three years. But business groups feared it gave unions the upper hand at the bargaining table.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Show me one normal citizen who wanted Trump to do that. Obviously that kind of law change is just a victory for rich companies and lobbyists.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Show me one normal citizen who wanted Trump to do that. Obviously that kind of law change is just a victory for rich companies and lobbyists.
You are assuming normal people are not in favor of wage theft and/or workplace safety violations.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Show me one normal citizen who wanted Trump to do that.
One of his campaign promises way to undo literally every regulation established under Obama, and he won.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Congress just killed your Internet privacy protections
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/28/technol ... index.html
The House of Representatives voted Tuesday to repeal Internet privacy protections that were approved by the Federal Communications Commission in the final days of the Obama administration.

The Senate voted along party lines to undo the rules last week. The resolution now goes to Trump's desk. The White House said Tuesday it "strongly supports" the repeal.

The rules, which had not yet gone into effect, would have required Internet service providers to get your permission before collecting and sharing your data. The providers have data on your web browsing history, app usage and geo-location.
Providers would also have been required to notify customers about the types of information collected and shared.
The privacy rules were intended to give consumers extra control over their personal data online at a time when everything from smartphones to refrigerators can be connected to the Internet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump dramatically changes US approach to climate change
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/27/politics/ ... index.html
Specifically, the order rescinds at least six Obama-era executive orders aimed at curbing climate change and regulating carbon emissions, including Obama's November 2013 executive order instructing the federal government to prepare for the impact of climate change and the September 2016 presidential memorandum that outlined the "growing threat to national security" that climate change poses.

"To the extent that the economy is strong and growing and you have prosperity, that is the best way to protect the environment," the official said.
The executive order also represents the greatest fears climate change advocates had when Trump was elected in November 2016.
"These actions are an assault on American values and they endanger the health, safety and prosperity of every American," Tom Steyer, the president of NexGen Climate, said in a statement. "Trump is deliberately destroying programs that create jobs and safeguards that protect our air and water, all for the sake of allowing corporate polluters to profit at our expense."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is what we get for electing a "business man" to the highest position in America.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

More like a crook

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Right. That's what I implied with the quotation marks.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Oh, gotcha!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He's one of the most unpopular Presidents ever at this time in his term. But that doesn't mean much unless that discontentment translates into votes, both in the 2018 midterms and in 2020.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »