Election Day 2016 Megathread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Election Day 2016 Megathread

Post by Indy »

I wish v9 were in here giving us his thoughts on the issue.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/14/509780474 ... ere-announ

Gen. Michael Flynn, President-elect Trump's pick to be national security adviser, did speak to Russian ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak by telephone on Dec. 29, the same day the Obama administration announced measures retaliating against Russia for interfering in the 2016 presidential campaign, two Trump transition officials confirm to NPR.

This is different timing than the Trump transition had announced to reporters Friday morning. Transition spokesman and incoming White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said then that Kislyak texted Flynn on Dec. 28, asking to talk. Spicer also said the text messages showed they wished each other Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and added they spoke by phone later that day, the 28, meaning they couldn't have discussed the retaliation measures or Russia's response.

But now, the transition officials, including Spicer, confirm to NPR that was not correct. The phone conversation, initiated by the Russian ambassador, actually didn't happen until the next day, Dec. 29, the same day as the retaliatory efforts were announced

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Honest question. Does Donald Trump make it a year as President? Does he get impeached before then? I wonder if there is a Vegas betting line on this.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:Honest question. Does Donald Trump make it a year as President? Does he get impeached before then? I wonder if there is a Vegas betting line on this.
There was an article I read about a betting market in Europe that puts his chances of being in office for 1 year at 48%.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think he actually wants to do the job of being President. But he also strongly wants to be seen as a "winner" and would hate to suffer the embarrassment of losing the job or being impeached or resigning or anything like that. I think he will probably try to stay all 4 years even though the details of the work will not interest him much.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think he actually wants to do the job of being President. But he also strongly wants to be seen as a "winner" and would hate to suffer the embarrassment of losing the job or being impeached or resigning or anything like that. I think he will probably try to stay all 4 years even though the details of the work will not interest him much.
I would much rather have Trump as president for 4 years than Pence. That guy scares me more than Trump.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think he actually wants to do the job of being President. But he also strongly wants to be seen as a "winner" and would hate to suffer the embarrassment of losing the job or being impeached or resigning or anything like that. I think he will probably try to stay all 4 years even though the details of the work will not interest him much.
I would much rather have Trump as president for 4 years than Pence. That guy scares me more than Trump.
Trump actively using Twitter to immediately denounce, slander and attack opposition regularly without hesitation worries me. We're going to further and further isolate ourselves from the rest of the world and create large scale wars and wars with countries and populations larger than our own. I'm terrified by the prospects of Trump as our POTUS and Commander in Chief.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I would rather have Pence. I agree that he is scary, but he's just a regular scary Republican. I think at least he is not stupid enough to divide our nation, incite violence, and rile up our enemies.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Trump actively using Twitter to immediately denounce, slander and attack opposition regularly without hesitation worries me. We're going to further and further isolate ourselves from the rest of the world and create large scale wars and wars with countries and populations larger than our own. I'm terrified by the prospects of Trump as our POTUS and Commander in Chief.
Not to mention that he holds the fortunes of many companies in his hands. His tweets have had massive effects on various companies' stock market values.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't knows that much about Pence but, he sure seems to be a lot more rational than Trump. I also think he would just be normal scary Republican instead of outlandishly crazy like Trump. Trump is great at BS. If he wanted out he could say he was ill and was unfit for office, which is true. He is sick in the head.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Trump isn't irrational. He just knows what works, and what works isn't facts and logic. The "crazy" things he says are actually very calculated, and they do seem to have the effect of getting him what he's after.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here are the crazy things he tweets being said by Mark Hamill's Joker. Utter brilliance.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bleh. I will always root for biased media to fail.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pravda is a Russian Newspaper loyal to Putin. Jus sayin....

The point of NATO's existence is to force Europe to fund USA -
http://www.pravdareport.com/world/europ ... _europe-0/

This one claims that the Ukraine is escalating the fight, not Russia.
http://www.pravdareport.com/hotspots/co ... alation-0/

USA concerned about China's possible contact with extraterrestrials -
http://www.pravdareport.com/news/societ ... j3IXr.dpuf

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One of Putin's biggest desires is to weaken NATO. He is ecstatic that Trump is feuding with Mexico, a key NATO ally. A weak NATO hurts the USA and helps Russia's other goals.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:USA concerned about China's possible contact with extraterrestrials -
http://www.pravdareport.com/news/societ ... j3IXr.dpuf
I just saw that movie the other night. Anyone know if Amy Adams is actually a linguist?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't think so.

http://nautil.us/blog/the-scientist-who ... in-arrival

I wonder if this is true.

John Hertz, former chairman of the board of trustees of the US-based SETI Institute (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) said in an interview with the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, that sending signals to alien civilization was dangerous.

The expert added that it would be even more dangerous if China received a response from an extraterrestrial civilization. Chinese researchers announced earlier that China would take part in Breakthrough Listen project to search for alien civilizations. Hertz suggested limiting the power of world's major transmitters.

A chaiman of the board at US-based SETI would suggest limiting the powers of transmitters around the world to ensure that nobody else (China) makes contact with an alien civilization?

SDC

Post by SDC »

"you fascist, loofa faced shit gibbon", referring to Trump
http://www.phillyvoice.com/pennsylvania ... -s-gibbon/

SDC

Post by SDC »

so what has all the virtue signalling prove?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... rump-line/