Trump's various cabinet appointees

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Trump's various cabinet appointees

Post by Mori Chu »

Y'all been tracking the various appointment hearings? DeVos had a pretty bumpy set of questionings in her Sec of Education confirmation hearing. Tillerson has some possible ties to Russia and is an Exxon boss. Carson looked like he knew almost nothing in his hearing to become Sec of HUD.

Thoughts on each nominee or ones who seem particularly good/bad?

Nodack

Re: Trump's various cabinet appointees

Post by Nodack »

All I can think is that in less than 24 hours a dark chapter in American history is about to commence. I basically feel like every pick was meant to do the most harm possible.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:All I can think is that in less than 24 hours a dark chapter in American history is about to commence. I basically feel like every pick was meant to do the most harm possible.
You think he picked people to "harm" the services their departments provide? I think he made them thinking these people will be the ones to drastically scale back the Federal Government, saving trillions in tax dollars, and get the Federal Government back to being a very small part of the oversight in American's lives.That is basically what Republicans have been advocating for since the 1930s.

And I completely disagree with the nominees he chose (really he didn't choose any of them; his advisers chose them). I think it will do much more harm than good for the country, but will likely be very beneficial for those people already very well off.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's some quote I like that goes roughly, "Republicans believe government doesn't work, and when you elect them, they go to great lengths to make that so." I think these picks will definitely help the government work less successfully going forward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... n-history/

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think, philosophically, they believe the federal government should have less control than local and state governments. So they try their best to reduce the size. They generally think the purpose of the federal government is to protect the states from outside threats, and that is about it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:There's some quote I like that goes roughly, "Republicans believe government doesn't work, and when you elect them, they go to great lengths to make that so." I think these picks will definitely help the government work less successfully going forward.

I think that can go both ways. There are even recent examples of when one party dominates the entire political landscape of a region, where it's declined.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:There's some quote I like that goes roughly, "Republicans believe government doesn't work, and when you elect them, they go to great lengths to make that so." I think these picks will definitely help the government work less successfully going forward.

I think that can go both ways. There are even recent examples of when one party dominates the entire political landscape of a region, where it's declined.
It does. It is a bad idea for any one group (party/ethnicity/social status) to control the government at any level. When you are in control, you become uncontrollable--the whole "absolute power corrupts absolutely" thing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the current problem with the government is that everyone has become so much more polarized and unwilling to work together and compromise. This is not just me bemoaning the state of things; it's documented by actual data. Here:

http://thehigherlearning.com/2015/05/03 ... as-become/

And when we get more polarized and can't compromise/agree, everything gets gummed up. The government stops being able to do anything. This actually greatly helps the Republicans/conservatives, because a big part of their whole ethos is that government is bad, wasteful, and doesn't get anything done. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as they help to make the government just as useless as they claim it to be.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess we'll see if it starts working now. The Reps are in power and should be able to start to limit and cut back Gov, as they claim.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the last time the GOP controlled the Senate, House, White House and most governorships, it was the 1920s. I hope we have a better outcome this time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:I think the last time the GOP controlled the Senate, House, White House and most governorships, it was the 1920s. I hope we have a better outcome this time.
No $h!t, haha!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:I think the last time the GOP controlled the Senate, House, White House and most governorships, it was the 1920s. I hope we have a better outcome this time.
We're due for another Great Depression and World War. Throw in some 4-degree climate change. History's been getting dull lately. Suffering and death on massive scales will help keep future students engaged.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hey, we're the middle children of history man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:Hey, we're the middle children of history man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
Speak for yourself, I'm living the dream... ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:Hey, we're the middle children of history man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.