NBA politics, affirmative action, etc.

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
INFORMER

NBA politics, affirmative action, etc.

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:He made it pretty clear that he did not approve of Jason Collins being gay, meanwhile Rick Welts is working there as a prominent figure who is gay, and it's the SF Bay area, one of the meccas of gay culture in the US.
I don't want an openly anti-gay head coach in the NBA. I hope the Warriors get SVG or Kerr or somebody like that.
What do you mean by "anti-gay"?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Re: Around the League: May 2014

Post by Phoenix219 »

So now people aren't allowed to have their own views, morals, opinions and beliefs, nor exercise their right to free speech, if they are in a position in the NBA? :P

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:
SwingMan wrote:Just the NBA's version of Affirmative Action, is all - especially with EOTY.....
Affirmative action? How?
Quotas - like how Buford got EOTY for letting Belinelli and Pendergraph (Ayers) walk in the door and overpaying Splitter. Not based on job performance, but rather the fact that he hadn't won yet. Same with 6th man, despite the fact that Crawford started almost half the games he played (69 - started 24) this season.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:I do think they got a little lazy with the Crawford pick, but I don't think it's a travesty. I thought Taj Gibson probably deserved it the most because of his two-way impact.
Agreed - I still think that award was Markieff's, but I'm on record as saying Gibson deserved it more than Crawford.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:He made it pretty clear that he did not approve of Jason Collins being gay, meanwhile Rick Welts is working there as a prominent figure who is gay, and it's the SF Bay area, one of the meccas of gay culture in the US.
I don't want an openly anti-gay head coach in the NBA. I hope the Warriors get SVG or Kerr or somebody like that.
What do you mean by "anti-gay"?
These days, merely not endorsing the gay lifestyle, culture or agenda gets one called "anti-gay".

Same way one gets called a racist simply for not drinking Obama kool-aid these days. :lol:

SDC

Post by SDC »

SwingMan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
SwingMan wrote:Just the NBA's version of Affirmative Action, is all - especially with EOTY.....
Affirmative action? How?
Quotas - like how Buford got EOTY for letting Belinelli and Pendergraph (Ayers) walk in the door and overpaying Splitter. Not based on job performance, but rather the fact that he hadn't won yet. Same with 6th man, despite the fact that Crawford started almost half the games he played (69 - started 24) this season.
affirmative action to me means somebody getting in or getting a job over other more qualified individuals based on your skin color, gender or what your last name represents.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:So now people aren't allowed to have their own views, morals, opinions and beliefs, nor exercise their right to free speech, if they are in a position in the NBA? :P
Dude, we've gone through this a 100 times. You can not be a bigot. I'll repeat it, you can NOT be a bigot and expect to keep a high profile job in the US in 2014, unless you're a fucking politician.

You have the right to free speech, but you also have a right to get your ass fired for it. There's absolutely no difference between hating black people and minorities and being anti-gay. None.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:These days, merely not endorsing the gay lifestyle, culture or agenda gets one called "anti-gay".

Same way one gets called a racist simply for not drinking Obama kool-aid these days. :lol:
Oh for hell's sake Swing. What a damn load of bollocks.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:
SwingMan wrote:These days, merely not endorsing the gay lifestyle, culture or agenda gets one called "anti-gay".

Apologies for not being more specific - it's actually only liberal/progressive fakes who cry the above at any dissent of their groupthink.

Better? ;)

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

SwingMan wrote:
carey wrote:

Apologies for not being more specific - it's actually only liberal/progressive fakes who cry the above at any dissent of their groupthink.

Better? ;)
Exhibit A :

If the co-defensive player of the year from the nation’s best college conference is a seventh-round afterthought or not drafted, the NFL will surely be slammed with charges of homophobia.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

bigot
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

intolerance
noun
lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

tolerate
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice or act of of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference or hindrance; permit.

By definition, tolerance is associated with things that you *do not like or agree with.* But the first time i do not *like or agree with* something then i am an *intolerant bigot.* Doesn't *anyone else* see the logical fallacy here???

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

How many, P219? Hah ahaha.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

People who are racist, sexist, anti-gay, etc. seem to say things like, "Freedom of speech!" and, "You're calling me intolerant, but you aren't being tolerant of my view, so therefore YOU are the intolerant one!" But I think the cliched response is very apt here: "I don't need to be intolerant of your intolerance."

If you are racist, sexist, or anti-gay, you're my enemy. If I'm a fan, I won't give my money to your team. If I'm a player, I'm not signing there as a free agent. If I'm an advertiser, I'm not putting any ads on your games. If I'm another owner, I'll vote you out of my ownership group. All of those are legal ways to deal with people who have inappropriately discriminatory points of view.
Exhibit A: If the co-defensive player of the year from the nation’s best college conference is a seventh-round afterthought or not drafted, the NFL will surely be slammed with charges of homophobia.
That hasn't even happened yet; it's speculation. Let's wait and see.
These days, merely not endorsing the gay lifestyle, culture or agenda gets one called "anti-gay". Same way one gets called a racist simply for not drinking Obama kool-aid these days.
I don't know what "the gay agenda" is, unless you mean the "agenda" of wanting to be treated like everyone else, which seems like a fairly reasonable agenda for a group to have. And I don't hear anybody calling anybody here a racist for opposing President Obama. I do think that using loaded terms like "bIraq HUSSEIN Obama" are unnecessarily preying on anti-Muslim fears, which is racial/ethnic in nature. I also think some of the attacks on Obama, like North Korea calling him a "wicked monkey", are definitely racial in nature. Attacking his policies and actions is fair game.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:People who are racist, sexist, anti-gay, etc. seem to say things like, "Freedom of speech!" and, "You're calling me intolerant, but you aren't being tolerant of my view, so therefore YOU are the intolerant one!" But I think the cliched response is very apt here: "I don't need to be intolerant of your intolerance."

If you are racist, sexist, or anti-gay, you're my enemy. If I'm a fan, I won't give my money to your team. If I'm a player, I'm not signing there as a free agent. If I'm an advertiser, I'm not putting any ads on your games. If I'm another owner, I'll vote you out of my ownership group. All of those are legal ways to deal with people who have inappropriately discriminatory points of view.
And that's your right, just as it's others not to have to endorse one's lifestyle regardless of who they are.
Mori Chu wrote:
Exhibit A: If the co-defensive player of the year from the nation’s best college conference is a seventh-round afterthought or not drafted, the NFL will surely be slammed with charges of homophobia.
That hasn't even happened yet; it's speculation. Let's wait and see.
No, but it's indicative of the climate we're living in where "tolerance" goes.
Mori Chu wrote:
These days, merely not endorsing the gay lifestyle, culture or agenda gets one called "anti-gay". Same way one gets called a racist simply for not drinking Obama kool-aid these days.
I don't know what "the gay agenda" is, unless you mean the "agenda" of wanting to be treated like everyone else, which seems like a fairly reasonable agenda for a group to have. And I don't hear anybody calling anybody here a racist for opposing President Obama. I do think that using loaded terms like "bIraq HUSSEIN Obama" are unnecessarily preying on anti-Muslim fears, which is racial/ethnic in nature. I also think some of the attacks on Obama, like North Korea calling him a "wicked monkey", are definitely racial in nature. Attacking his policies and actions is fair game.
You obviously weren't around to see AIG's race baiting last year. :lol:

The "agenda" is similar to modern liberals/progressives in general: Demonize and silence any and all opposition - in otherwords, facism. Apologies - it's not just a gay agenda.

We all have the right to our own views, beliefs and opinions - what's lacking in today's society (gay or otherwise) is personal responsibility. If you put yourself out there, realize you're responsible for leaving yourself open to any & all reaction, good or bad. Not unlike what we do on message boards and the like. ;)

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Phoenix219 wrote:bigot
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

intolerance
noun
lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

tolerate
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice or act of of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference or hindrance; permit.

By definition, tolerance is associated with things that you *do not like or agree with.* But the first time i do not *like or agree with* something then i am an *intolerant bigot.* Doesn't *anyone else* see the logical fallacy here???
See my reply to Mori above. ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's please leave politics out of the Suns board. Please?
"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:Let's please leave politics out of the Suns board. Please?
No problem - just answering Mori's question and clarifying my position, is all.

Kind of tough though, seeing as how just about anything "gay" these days has been politicized in itself.....

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or piss anyone off... definitely not trying to antagonize. i love all you guys on here. No one is going "too far" right now, so lets keep it that way.... this is a friendly discussion, not anywhere in the realms of the defunct politics arena. Just want to keep things level... :)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Hooray Beer!
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Re: NBA politics, affirmative action, etc.

Post by carey »

I haven't checked the logs yet, but if anyone moved this that isn't Mori, you were way out of line. I'll take the rest of the discussion to PMs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!