Trump's various media feuds

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Trump's various media feuds

Post by Mori Chu »

I kind of hate talking about this stuff, but it's all over the place. The latest is his rude spat with Mika from Morning Joe, and his messages against CNN and the media in general.

What do you think about such stuff? I personally worry about how much he is pitting the media as the enemy of American citizens. It's a tactic often employed by bad rulers, dictators, tyrants, etc. in countries to suppress the media and freedom of speech. The media has a crucial role as a check on governmental power and as an outlet to dispense the truth to the people.

Superbone

Re: Trump's various media feuds

Post by Superbone »

It's far from presidential. I'll tell you that. The man is a 7 year old in a 70 year old body.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Well, "presidential" is subjective. The kind of people who act this way (and there are a lot of them) are thrilled to have a POTUS who does too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

President Tr*mp posts video of himself punching "CNN" logo. In general such a thing doesn't offend or bother me, and it's even a bit funny. But the general pattern of demonizing the American media is extremely concerning. Making the citizens reject media and facts and information is a classic tactic of oppressive governments and authoritarian regimes. The media has a crucial role in this country as a check on power and as a distributor of facts, information, and analysis. It is quite dangerous to have our leader so openly inciting violence against the media.

Also, bonus: The person who made this video has also posted a bunch of racist and anti-Semitic content, including a large chart of every Jewish employee at CNN, anti-Muslim content, and more. There is a sinister underbelly to a lot of this stuff and it's leaking out.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fo0VwdY2kJo/mqdefault.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... eeted-cnn/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... acist.html

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Also, bonus: The person who made this video has also posted a bunch of racist and anti-Semitic content, including a large chart of every Jewish employee at CNN, anti-Muslim content, and more. There is a sinister underbelly to a lot of this stuff and it's leaking out.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fo0VwdY2kJo/mqdefault.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... eeted-cnn/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... acist.html
Nothing new. During the campaign, Trump made a habit of posting memes from Stormfront, and attacking anyone who reported on their Stormfront origins.

He didn't dispute the accuracy of such reports, but nonetheless called them a disgrace, because they make him look racist, and he's the least racist person in the world.

60 million voters heard that and said, "Good enough." Or better.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Fake President.

carey

Post by carey »

Did anyone see Last Week Tonight on Sunday? The segment on how this giant media corporation is buying hundreds of local news channels at a time & forcing them to run right wing slanted propoganda stories. This is how the right is winning.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gregg Popovich: Donald Trump a 'Soulless Coward' for Comment on Fallen Soldiers
OCTOBER 16, 2017
San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called the sitting president a "soulless coward" Monday.

Dave Zirin of The Nation reported the news, noting Popovich's comments were in regard to Donald Trump claiming former presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush failed to call the families of soldiers who had died.

According to Kevin Liptak of CNN, Trump said Monday he wrote letters to and planned on calling the families of four American soldiers who died in Niger in early October.

"Other presidents did not call, they would write letters, and some presidents didn't do anything," Trump said, per Liptak.

Zirin said "I have never heard this man so frustrated, so fed up, and so tense with anger than today" when discussing Popovich and shared the coach's quotes in full:

"I've been amazed and disappointed by so much of what this President had said, and his approach to running this country, which seems to be one of just a never ending divisiveness. But his comments today about those who have lost loved ones in times of war and his lies that previous presidents Obama and Bush never contacted their families, is so beyond the pale, I almost don't have the words.

This man in the Oval Office is a soulless coward who thinks that he can only become large by belittling others. This has of course been a common practice of his, but to do it in this manner–and to lie about how previous Presidents responded to the deaths of soldiers–is as low as it gets. We have a pathological liar in the White House: unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day. The people who work with this President should be ashamed because they know it better than anyone just how unfit he is, and yet they choose to do nothing about it. This is their shame most of all."

Liptak noted Trump's comments Monday were the first time he's publicly spoken about the four deaths. Liptak also explained "the tradition of presidents reaching out after US servicemen are killed in action is long-established," despite Trump's assertion his immediate predecessors didn't take as much action as he did.

This is not the first time Popovich—who served in the Air Force—has criticized Trump.

He previously said "our country is an embarrassment to the world," after Trump continuously used public platforms to verbally attack NFL players who chose to protest racial inequality and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem, per Melissa Rohlin of the San Antonio Express-News.

Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News shared the Spurs coach's comments after Trump tweeted he withdrew the invitation for the Golden State Warriors to attend the White House:

Popovich notably compared the president's actions to those of a sixth grader and called his behavior "disgusting" and "comical."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good for Pop standing up to Trump's bullshit and not letting him get away with his own fake news.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Pop's been one of Trump's biggest critics but picks and choose his spots and his words carefully. Trump hasn't started in on Pop yet and I've been interested to see if he'll respond.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pop is a well respected winner who is a hero in Texas, was in the Air Force and could probably kick Trump's ass. Starting a pissing contest with him doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. On the other hand, Trump hasn't been the sharpest tool in the shed in that regard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Pop is a well respected winner who is a hero in Texas, was in the Air Force and could probably kick Trump's ass. Starting a pissing contest with him doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. On the other hand, Trump hasn't been the sharpest tool in the shed in that regard.
Trump has recently started a pissing contest with Senator McCain so does that answer your question?

McCain is a well regarded war hero while Trump avoided the draft due to "bone spurs".
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This whole thing is really shameful of Trump. Doesn't call the family of fallen soldiers, then when criticized about it, claims that neither did evil Obama. He's fact-checked and it's pointed out to him that this is totally incorrect, and blames the incorrect information on his generals. Finally calls the widow, but now he says, "He knew what he was signing up for." Awful! Hard to think of a worse thing to say.

https://www.local10.com/news/politics/t ... id-johnson

And before you say, "Well, he's right," read this. Soldiers do not sign up expecting to die or thinking that their death is what they "signed up for."

This guy is completely unqualified for his job. The damage he's doing to our country and the world will be felt for decades. He needs to be out ASAP.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's coming to Korea in a few weeks. I've already apologized to my co-workers and friends for the inevitable dumb shit he's going to say.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This whole thing is really shameful of Trump. Doesn't call the family of fallen soldiers, then when criticized about it, claims that neither did evil Obama. He's fact-checked and it's pointed out to him that this is totally incorrect, and blames the incorrect information on his generals. Finally calls the widow, but now he says, "He knew what he was signing up for." Awful! Hard to think of a worse thing to say.

https://www.local10.com/news/politics/t ... id-johnson

And before you say, "Well, he's right," read this. Soldiers do not sign up expecting to die or thinking that their death is what they "signed up for."

This guy is completely unqualified for his job. The damage he's doing to our country and the world will be felt for decades. He needs to be out ASAP.
I do think this says a lot to his mindset when he was trying to get out of serving. If he feels like it's a good possibility that he could die, then he will probably try his best to get out of it. I think Pop then probably spoke a lot of truth by calling him a "coward". No one wants to die, at least not needlessly, but most people that serve do so thinking they are serving a larger purpose and are willing to die for something greater and worth dying for, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass