Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Post by AmareIsGod »

Videos of car attack

Obviously graphic warning

Clear moment of impact below

Photo of impact below

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHDYO5FXsAIpUyi.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHDkxTGUwAAiK04.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHDipxZXoAANZ7p.jpg

More videos

Below: Happens at roughly 8:25

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1nAKEeqYAqXKL

Below: skip to 7:29

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLkeLygzJm
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Re: Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Post by Superbone »

Did they catch the f'n bastard?
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

About a mile away he was captured.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, the whole thing is so sad. So many misguided individuals in this world.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I really don't know the difference between these nazis and isis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's really sad. I made a post about it on my Facebook, and my conservative friends are in there defending the right to a white pride protest, saying they shouldn't have to be ashamed to be white, that it's okay to say, "White lives matter"... That the real reason there was violence was that evil liberal counter-protestors showed up. Such a sad and exhausting day.

Our country is supposed to be beyond this, but we are currently in reverse gear. America is becoming "great" again, if you consider pre-civil-rights America to be the "great" version.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's really sad. I made a post about it on my Facebook, and my conservative friends are in there defending the right to a white pride protest, saying they shouldn't have to be ashamed to be white, that it's okay to say, "White lives matter"... That the real reason there was violence was that evil liberal counter-protestors showed up. Such a sad and exhausting day.

Our country is supposed to be beyond this, but we are currently in reverse gear. America is becoming "great" again, if you consider pre-civil-rights America to be the "great" version.
So these people think the violence is justified because counter-protestors showed up? Give me a break!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's really sad. I made a post about it on my Facebook, and my conservative friends are in there defending the right to a white pride protest, saying they shouldn't have to be ashamed to be white, that it's okay to say, "White lives matter"... That the real reason there was violence was that evil liberal counter-protestors showed up. Such a sad and exhausting day.

I feel this way too. But every single POC I talk to says that only white people feel that way, because the others deal with this (usually in smaller, more private settings) every single day. I have yet to hear anyone I know, or even anyone I follow on twitter that is black say this was surprising/unexpected. That blows my mind.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:

So these people think the violence is justified because counter-protestors showed up? Give me a break!
You have to find a way to shift blame, otherwise you have to admit you are a racist. And 95% of racists honestly don't see themselves as racists.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

You have to find a way to shift blame, otherwise you have to admit you are a racist. And 95% of racists honestly don't see themselves as racists.
I was just thinking last night that I'd love to be a fly on the wall and be able to follow around one of these white supremists for a day just to try and see what motivates and influences them and how they live their lives. I imagine that they're in a constant state of hate. What a pathetic way to live.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: RE: Re: Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:

I feel this way too. But every single POC I talk to says that only white people feel that way, because the others deal with this (usually in smaller, more private settings) every single day. I have yet to hear anyone I know, or even anyone I follow on twitter that is black say this was surprising/unexpected. That blows my mind.
It shouldn't. It is because of social media that we actually talk to other communities now. They've been saying this stuff for years but now have an unlimited audience. Video cameras in every hand helps a lot too of course. Now they can also document what's been happening for years.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's ironic because Trump goes out of his way not to name these groups nor condemn them, and the thinking is that he doesn't want to alienate his "base". Thing is, these groups are such a fraction of the population that there's no way this particular "base" could win him an election. He won because of republicans, independents and some Dems who went with him as a protest vote. Now, because he's dancing around this issue, a lot of them will (should) feel like there's no way they can be associated with this kind of base and President. There was even one leader of I think the NSM who said on Saturday they didn't even support Trump because he's a capitalist and hasn't "drained the swamp". So who's he really playing to? He'd garner much wider support calling these idiots out the way he calls out Hillary, McConnell, the media, etc. But this is the Bannon/Miller faction of the White House and most everyone knows it. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they're out of there.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Agree with both of your posts Shel. Not sure which one I align with more but they are both solid points.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

LOL, why did that happen?? Can we delete one of those?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:LOL, why did that happen?? Can we delete one of those?
One of what? ;)
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bah!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Bah!
AIG seems a little crazy, doesn't he?
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

:P

Cap

Post by Cap »

Time for the guys with white coats and butterfly nets?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That reminds me. I still want to see the movie, Split. I heard it was pretty good.
"Be Legendary."