Terrorist Attack in NYC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Terrorist Attack in NYC

Post by ShelC »

There was a terror attack in downtown NYC yesterday. Some have discussed it in the Nets gameday thread as the Suns were staying in a hotel nearby and Superbone's in NYC at the moment. 8 are dead, 11 others injured when an ISIS inspired lone wolf rented a truck from Home Depot and ran into pedestrians. The only "weapons" he had on him were a paintgun and pellet gun, so he was probably hoping to be shot and killed by cops. He was shot in the stomach and arrested.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.3602094

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... ailyNewsTw

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/nyre ... &smtyp=cur

Mori Chu

Re: Terrorist Attack in NYC

Post by Mori Chu »

Really frightening stuff. Glad to hear that it seems everybody who posts here who lives in/near NYC is okay. What a tragic loss of life. And now we get to watch it be politicized and prompt anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's so sad that a deranged individual can take it upon himself to kill many innocent people in the name of religion. I hope there is a special place in hell for him and the group that encouraged this act of terror. 5 innocent Argentinians who were visiting the US, a Belgian mother, and two Americans were killed in the attack. So unbelievably sad and senseless.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have not yet read about the motivations behind the attack. I know the guy shouted "Allahu Akbar" but I didn't know why he said it or what his various affiliations or motives were.

I do think that whoever he is or whatever his deranged opinions are, it is important not to paint an entire group as being evil just because of one crazy extreme member.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Motivations? It was an ISIS attack. Their motivation is always the same. We are their enemy and they are promoting their cause/cult. Getting on the front page and scaring Americans is what they want. They acheived their goal. I’m sure recruitment just went up 2%. We attack them. They attack us. It’s a war.... I don’t even want to give ISIS the benefit of me reading about the attack. It’s over and we move together on. The British were bombed every night during parts of WWII. They said FU to Germany and refused to give up. The Japanese sent air balloon incendiary bombs to the US. The US media was asked to keep a lid on it and they did. The Japanese assumed their bombs didn’t work and stopped sending them. In todays market that isn’t going to happen. They know if the pull off an attack that it will be the front page of every site around the world.
mori wrote- I do think that whoever he is or whatever his deranged opinions are, it is important not to paint an entire group as being evil just because of one crazy extreme member. do think that whoever he is or whatever his deranged opinions are, it is important not to paint an entire group as being evil just because of one crazy extreme member
I think there are lots of young impressionable men out there filled with testosterone who aren’t happy with the way things are for them and are swayed into joining ISIS because ISIS has convinced them that joining them to fight the evil Satan the West is the right thing to do. They get sucked in and turned into vicious killers. I’m sure most of the ISIS members believe they are the ones with god on their side. Lumping these guys in with all Muslims is like lumping in the Oklahoma bomber with all Christians. They pervert the religion. The Crusades was an example of pillaging in the name of religion.

I’m Agnostic so all religions are cults to me. People have been perverting religions for thousands of years. What to do about it? Live my life and hope none of you weirdos attack me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How do you know that it was an ISIS attack? I am Googling it, and while the man did appear to have some affection for ISIS (watching some ISIS videos or something), I can't find any info to say that he was actually part of ISIS. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm just asking if you have a link or source for your claim that he is an ISIS member.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think you're right Marty. It looks like he was swayed by ISIS, and even wants an ISIS flag in his hospital room, ISIS is staying quiet as to whether or not he is affiliated with them. Usually, they are on top of it taking claim. Does this mean he's not ISIS if they don't take claim? And are all claims by ISIS legit, that they should be attributed credit? I had heard/read that ISIS claimed the Vegas shooter was their doing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

It appears to be an ISIS-inspired attack, but not an ISIS-coordinated attack.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I heard ISIS claimed the Vegas shooter was ISIS. I don’t beleive that for a second.

This guy claims he did it for ISIS and like In2ition said wants an ISIS flag in his room.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/02/us/new-yo ... index.html
He was inspired to carry out the attack after watching ISIS videos and closely followed the ISIS playbook for an attack, according to the complaint.
Saipov had about 90 videos and 3,800 images on his cell phone featuring ISIS propaganda, including video of a beheading, according to the complaint.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:I heard ISIS claimed the Vegas shooter was ISIS. I don’t beleive that for a second.

This guy claims he did it for ISIS and like In2ition said wants an ISIS flag in his room.

He was inspired to carry out the attack after watching ISIS videos and closely followed the ISIS playbook for an attack, according to the complaint.
Saipov had about 90 videos and 3,800 images on his cell phone featuring ISIS propaganda, including video of a beheading, according to the complaint.
You may be right, but ISIS hasn't developed a reputation of taking claim for something that they never had anything to do with. That's why I'm wondering...What is the truth?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:I heard ISIS claimed the Vegas shooter was ISIS. I don’t beleive that for a second.

You may be right, but ISIS hasn't developed a reputation of taking claim for something that they never had anything to do with. That's why I'm wondering...What is the truth?
Any moron can claim to be ISIS and if he/she successfully kills people they will gladly acknowledge him/her, even if there was no contact whatsoever.
As for ISIS falsely taking claim for killings, yes it happens all the time but it's hard to disprove as the killers often end up dead...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Zeratul wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Any moron can claim to be ISIS and if he/she successfully kills people they will gladly acknowledge him/her, even if there was no contact whatsoever.
As for ISIS falsely taking claim for killings, yes it happens all the time but it's hard to disprove as the killers often end up dead...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 01046.html
I thought this was interesting.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think the guy was trained by ISIS in the MidEast and then came here under orders. He was seduced by ISIS propaganda on the internet and carried out the attack on his own. Does that make him an official a ISIS member? I don’t think it matters.

The internet has been a great place for propaganda. ISIS, Russian trolls on Facebook, FOX News, MSNBC, etc.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Does it matter if ISIS coordinated this or not? Either way their goals are being achieved (at least short term ones).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Does it matter if ISIS coordinated this or not? Either way their goals are being achieved (at least short term ones).
Exactly. What's the argument here?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think there's more weight to it if it's ISIS planned and coordinated.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:Does it matter if ISIS coordinated this or not? Either way their goals are being achieved (at least short term ones).
I think it matters because the President wants to make changes to foreign policy and immigration policy in the name of fighting ISIS, citing this particular terrorist incident as an example of what we need to stop. But if the guy isn't actually an ISIS member, that diminishes the use of this incident for that political purpose.

I hate what the guy did in NYC and have no tolerance for ISIS or terrorism. But I also don't want to make bad policy decisions and pass overly restrictive or discriminatory laws that harm Muslims or immigrants or other groups based on a false premise.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I think it matters because the President wants to make changes to foreign policy and immigration policy in the name of fighting ISIS, citing this particular terrorist incident as an example of what we need to stop. But if the guy isn't actually an ISIS member, that diminishes the use of this incident for that political purpose.

I hate what the guy did in NYC and have no tolerance for ISIS or terrorism. But I also don't want to make bad policy decisions and pass overly restrictive or discriminatory laws that harm Muslims or immigrants or other groups based on a false premise.
too late