Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by 3rdside »

"No single person — not Reagan, not Cheney, not McConnell, not Trump, not Q — has contributed more than Limbaugh to the mass-derangement of white America".

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... a-1129222/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What is going on in NYC? I would like to know the context of this beating and hope to hear an update. The people that are ambivalent to what is happening is disturbing to me.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It amazes me how people just walk by as if nothing is happening. Violence happens all day every day in every part of the planet. I don’t think it only happens on one street corner in NYC.

Then again some big guy with a bat is pretty intimidating to most people.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:03 pm
It amazes me how people just walk by as if nothing is happening. Violence happens all day every day in every part of the planet. I don’t think it only happens on one street corner in NYC.

Then again some big guy with a bat is pretty intimidating to most people.
NYC is pretty big, and this is an isolated incident on one corner, so I'm not saying that things don't happen elsewhere. Have you seen this happen in your neighborhood in Scottsdale today or recently? If not with a bat, what type of violence has happened on your corner? I would hope that most people would intervene if they saw this happening, not just one guy.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Re: Acts of domestic terroris

Post by Nodack »

I don’t live in Scottsdale. I have seen acts of violence driving around. I once saw two guys going at it on the corner of Scottsdale and Shea. I saw two cars exit the 51 freeway at Greenway and at the stop light the guy behind the first got out of his car and started attacking the other driver. Played a lot of bar gigs where violence broke out between two people all the time. I was once at an after hours club in the mid west waiting in the car for it to open in a parking lot with a girl and another couple. The lot was full of other people waiting and some were dancing outside their cars. Some guy came over, beat on the window and accused me of laughing at his dancing and threatened me with a gun. I was saved by our rather large bass player who I had no idea was there. I saw two messengers of the company I worked for standing by in down town LA get into a fight. I went to a cowboy bar in Scottsdale with the husband of my ex wife's friend and as the bar emptied and we came to his truck and some guy and his girlfriend were making out leaning against his truck. He made a big stink and started a fight with the guy. I was at a Raiders/ Steelers game in LA right before the kickoff and some Steelers fan decked out in Steelers attire was waving a Steelers program over his head taunting the Raider crowd. He made it to the front row railing and started yelling towards the football field at what I assumed was a Steelers player. Just then some Raiders fan walked up behind him and clocked him upside the head and he went down. The crowd cheered. They ended up taking the unconscious guy on a cart like a football player to the ambulance. I later learned he was in a coma.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was a block paragraph of nastiness!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 pm
That was a block paragraph of nastiness!
Exactly. Humans suck sometimes. We do like our violence.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, there is violence. My point wasn't to say that there isn't any violence, nor that you've never seen it, because I am sure you have and most everyone has. My point was that it doesn't happen "all the time" "everyday" "on every corner". It was also how some violence, like one guy with a bat, beating another without one to the point of unconsciousness or death is not normal everyday occurrences. I also found it a little disturbing that people would just ignore it and walk by a man getting beaten to death for we have no idea why. That's not normal, that I know of.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Fear is normal. A large crazed man with a bat beating the hell out of someone is a scary sight. I have a feeling people walking by were thinking self preservation. Fight or flight. Not their fight and they are unarmed. They might have gotten to their car and called the police. Someone did film the interaction. One man did step in late.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A Capitol rioter said he posed as 'Antifa,' feds say, then boasted he beat police who 'got exactly what they deserved'
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/a ... 992531.php
WASHINGTON - The day before a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Capitol, William Robert Norwood III texted a group of friends and family to boast that he had traveled to D.C. with a plan to fool the police.

"I'm dressing in all black," Norwood texted a group chat on Jan. 5, according to screenshots included in a federal criminal complaint filed last week. "I'll look just like ANTIFA. I'll get away with anything."

Then, after joining in the mob, assaulting police officers and storming the Capitol rotunda, federal agents said, Norwood texted the group again to boast that his ploy had been a success.

"It worked," Norwood texted, along with photos of himself wearing a police officer's vest that he allegedly took from the Capitol. "I got away with things that others were shot or arrested for."

Federal agents buttressed the criminal complaint against Norwood with text messages he allegedly sent about joining in the riot -- including contradictory messages taking credit for attacking police, while also blaming the violence on antifascists.

In texts sent on Jan. 7 allegedly recounting his role in the riot, Norwood claimed that he "fought 4 cops" and "got a nice helmet and body armor off a cop for God's sake and I disarmed him." He then sent a selfie that allegedly showed him posing in a stolen tactical vest.

"The cops who acted s----- got exactly what they deserved," Norwood texted. "The ones who were cool, got help."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US narrows in on organized extremists in Capitol siege probe
https://apnews.com/article/capitol-sieg ... 932f321e40
“I need you fighting fit” by the inauguration, one Ohio member, Jessica Watkins, told a recruit in November, according to court documents. “If Biden becomes president our way of life as we know it is over. Our Republic would be over. Then it is our duty as Americans to fight, kill and die for our rights,” she said in another message later that month.

As Jan. 6 neared, they discussed stationing a “quick reaction force” outside Washington that could bring in weapons “if something goes to hell,” according to court documents. Days before the attack, one man suggested getting a boat to ferry “heavy weapons” across the Potomac River into their “waiting arms.”

“I believe we will have to get violent to stop this,” that man, Thomas Caldwell of Virginia, said in a November message to Watkins. On Jan. 1, he took to Facebook to decry what he viewed as a rigged election, saying “we must smite them now and drive them down,”

There were plans for some Oath Keepers to be there in “grey man” mode without identifiable militia gear so they could blend in with the crowd.

“For every Oath Keeper you see, there are at least two you don’t see,” said a Jan. 4 email sent to members.

“If we’d had guns I guarantee we would have killed 100 politicians. They ran off and were spirited away through their underground tunnels like the rats they were,” Caldwell said in a message to a friend.

Proud Boys planning for Jan. 6 had discussed using non-members, or “normies,” like Gieswein to “burn that city to ash” and “smash some pigs to dust,” prosecutors said.

Nine people linked to the Oath Keepers have been indicted on charges that they planned and coordinated with one another in the siege. At least 11 leaders, members or associates of the Proud Boys charged in the riots are accused by the Justice Department of participating in a coordinated attack.

Several from both groups remain in federal custody while awaiting trial.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am sure that is all lies or they were just pretending to be trump supporters.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There are some messed up people in the world/country. Who knew?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They arrested a Trump political appointee for being in the Jan 6 riot. Federico Klein is his name.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/0 ... iot-473825

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm glad they arrested that fool.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I wanted to revive a discussion about the recent shootings. The one in Boulder CO that leaves 10 people dead, including a cop, is really saddening. How messed up is it that we are starting to get back to "normal" post-COVID by starting back up with the mass shootings? Ugh.

President Biden is using the incident to urge the Senate to pass gun control measures including an assault weapons ban. My guess is that'll go nowhere so long as the filibuster is in place. When are they going to enact filibuster reform so they can finally pass HR-1, gun laws, DC statehood, and so much more? Just do it already.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I read that the CO one is the 7th mass shooting in as many days...

Also, 70% of the US population is in favor of background checks on all firearm purchases, and banning criminals from buying/owning firearms.

I honestly don't care if they keep selling assault weapons, but they should be verified sales and taxed like crazy, have extensive back ground checks (like they do with security clearances) and include manufacturer liability for their use in a crime if the person attained the weapon outside of these means.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I read that a CO judge just struck down a law that would have prevented exactly this shooting. The fact that a person can go buy an AR-15 and, on the same day, use it to mow down 10 people is nuts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wasn't there a Simpson's episode like almost 30 years ago where Homer goes to buy a handgun, and the owner tells him he has to wait 5 days. Homer's response: "Five days!? But I'm mad now..."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I saw this for the 7 mass shootings and looked them up.

I read that the shooter bought the gun a week ago. The video of it while it was active was kind of crazy.