Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by AmareIsGod »

This is driving me fucking nuts. Every time I read about this, which gets even more difficult as more and more information comes out, I have to ask defenders of gun rights: WHAT FUCKING REASON DOES AN 18-YEAR-OLD HAVE FOR AN AR-15!?! And 300+ rounds of ammunition?!? Seriously?

Is it as simple as going on a website that sells guns, putting in your Driver's License information and waiting a couple of days for a background check (which consists of who knows what the fuck)? Then they mail off a couple of AR-15's to your home?

We can't create some jobs and hire people to do comprehensive background checks, even if it means some poor 18-year-old must wait a month? As part of that background check, looking into someone's social media history, asking the person a couple of fucking questions? We have no problem requiring people to take a test to get a driver's license, but God forbid you ask a pro-gun American to be required to take a few classes (where maybe the instructor can get to know the person wanting this kind of gun and be a part of the yes or no on the background check as well)? Again, WHY DO 18-year-old's need to purchase AR-15's? Anyone?

I'm disgusted. I have a 2 1/2-year-old. At this rate, what do we do when she's old enough to go to school? How do I start explaining to her regularly that there's been another school shot up by a deranged fuck with a gun and let her know she's going to be okay? She's going to be safe at school. There were parents for an hour pleading with police officers to do something while gun shots rang out and children screamed. Small children a week away from summer vacation. Gone. Just gone.

I've had it with this country and their infatuation with guns. I'm all for responsible people that are properly vetted that have properly taken the right measures to show they are capable of owning a gun. But even then, why in God's name do people need AR-15's and similar guns? To protect their families? To be prepared to rise up in case anarchy ensues?

It kills me that this keeps happening. People are posting all over Facebook and everywhere a list of schools that have had school shootings and I was scrolling for a full minute. It's a wall of text. When does our right to bear arms meet with a proper set of checks and balances to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't keep happening? Yep, the bad guys will get the guns if they really want to go through the black-market. I get it. Maybe it's time we put time and energy into fixing this broken system along with figuring out how to infiltrate and keep tabs on these black-markets. The government and the NSA have no problems at all knowing what's going on with remote terrorist cells around the world but you're telling me that can't figure out how to shut down these black-markets if they need to?

Sadly, we'll always deal with this problem because $ makes this country and much of the world tick far more than the value of the lives that live within it. Putting a bunch of checks and balances around guns will decrease gun sales and hurt too many people financially that have a stake in things.

I don't know the answers folks. But what we've got going on right now sure as fuck isn't working.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 pm
This is driving me fucking nuts. Every time I read about this, which gets even more difficult as more and more information comes out, I have to ask defenders of gun rights: WHAT FUCKING REASON DOES AN 18-YEAR-OLD HAVE FOR AN AR-15!?! And 300+ rounds of ammunition?!? Seriously?
Probably not what you were looking for here, but there may be reasons, even if it is just "it is my hobby." I may not agree with that, but it is what it is.

My big problem is that we have a party being paid off to make it easier for these people to get these weapons designed to create as much damage as possible to the human body. The people that I know that are serious collectors or even hobbyists, don't have a problem completing paperwork or interviews or even classes to own the weapons they want to own. (They do have a problem with the costs of some of the ATF stamps, but that is another issue.)

There is a reason the vast majority of Americans support restrictions on who can buy weapons, just like there are restrictions on who can drive a car, or a motorcycle, or a boat, or a commercial vehicle. The only reason for congress not to support his is greed. Which means they value being able to run an extra commercial or hire a couple extra pollsters than to limit these murders.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This is America. We will just hope and pray it away…

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:49 pm
This is America. We will just hope and pray it away…
But nobody is actually doing that. They just say that. Ted Cruz isn't hoping it all stops. He is hoping for a higher office, or at least higher publicity, and he is willing to sacrifice children to do it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mass shootings account for less than 1% of the roughly 40,000 people killed by guns each year in this country,

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The rest of the world thinks that we Americans (and specifically the GOP) are stupid. In the case of the GOP, they're correct.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's no compromising with soulless pieces of shit like this.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Husband of slain Uvalde teacher dies of heart attack after visiting memorial at school
Joe Garcia, Irma Garcia’s husband of 24 years, ‘passed away due to grief,’ a family member said.

In a tweet, a family member confirmed that Joe Garcia, Irma Garcia’s husband of 24 years, “passed away due to grief.” They were high school sweethearts and parents to four children.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... l-shooting
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I don't know how I could live or go on if my child or wife were gunned down.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 pm

Is it as simple as going on a website that sells guns, putting in your Driver's License information and waiting a couple of days for a background check (which consists of who knows what the fuck)? Then they mail off a couple of AR-15's to your home?

We can't create some jobs and hire people to do comprehensive background checks, even if it means some poor 18-year-old must wait a month? As part of that background check, looking into someone's social media history, asking the person a couple of fucking questions? We have no problem requiring people to take a test to get a driver's license, but God forbid you ask a pro-gun American to be required to take a few classes (where maybe the instructor can get to know the person wanting this kind of gun and be a part of the yes or no on the background check as well)? Again, WHY DO 18-year-old's need to purchase AR-15's? Anyone?

I'm disgusted. I have a 2 1/2-year-old. At this rate, what do we do when she's old enough to go to school? How do I start explaining to her regularly that there's been another school shot up by a deranged fuck with a gun and let her know she's going to be okay? She's going to be safe at school. There were parents for an hour pleading with police officers to do something while gun shots rang out and children screamed. Small children a week away from summer vacation. Gone. Just gone.

I've had it with this country and their infatuation with guns. I'm all for responsible people that are properly vetted that have properly taken the right measures to show they are capable of owning a gun. But even then, why in God's name do people need AR-15's and similar guns? To protect their families? To be prepared to rise up in case anarchy ensues?

It kills me that this keeps happening. People are posting all over Facebook and everywhere a list of schools that have had school shootings and I was scrolling for a full minute. It's a wall of text. When does our right to bear arms meet with a proper set of checks and balances to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't keep happening? Yep, the bad guys will get the guns if they really want to go through the black-market. I get it. Maybe it's time we put time and energy into fixing this broken system along with figuring out how to infiltrate and keep tabs on these black-markets. The government and the NSA have no problems at all knowing what's going on with remote terrorist cells around the world but you're telling me that can't figure out how to shut down these black-markets if they need to?

Sadly, we'll always deal with this problem because $ makes this country and much of the world tick far more than the value of the lives that live within it. Putting a bunch of checks and balances around guns will decrease gun sales and hurt too many people financially that have a stake in things.

I don't know the answers folks. But what we've got going on right now sure as fuck isn't working.
Thank you. It’s not just the politicians. There’s an entitlement that many people in this country have. They won’t sacrifice their “rights” one iota even if it’s for the greatest good. We saw it play out when people threw conniption fits because they were asked to suffer the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in a crowded place indoors during a deadly pandemic. There’s a similar mindset happening with some gun owners. They’re so afraid of their war weapons being taken away that they’ll ignore all evidence and logic that the collective ownership of these weapons does massive damage to this country. “It’s not my problem.” Until it is.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If my hobby of watching basketball was killing tens of thousands of people each year, I would stop watching basketball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:42 am
If my hobby of watching basketball was killing tens of thousands of people each year, I would stop watching basketball.
It almost killed me last year. ;) And this year may have been worse. :P
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The problem isn't guns, it's ... single moms?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Lee is a shit bag.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm
The problem isn't guns, it's ... single moms?

First of all, this has some serious racial overtones. Second of all, it's rich that they'll force potential single moms to have a baby and then blame them when the kid doesn't turn out OK.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lee is the worst