Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Nodack »

The only way to get Republicans to care would be if the shooter was woke.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really like that Dave Chappelle bit where he says that all black people need to register ... for a firearm. So the Republicans would change the laws.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

YAMS (Yet Another Mass Shooting) in Maine. Ho hum. The answer is more guns.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Got to meet our quota for the year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

22 dead in this one. Very sad.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Why we still don't have mental health checks for gun owners is ridiculous...

Not so fun fact.... I was gifted a shotgun one year from my in-laws for bird hunting... Long story short, as soon as I went on disability my depression was really bad. Suicidal thoughts were creeping in... Don't think I would have done anything but the fact I had those thoughts I knew I needed to sell that gun, so I did. Not everyone is lucky enough to have the ability to know to do that and am thankful I did, but regardless going through that experience alone told me how important mental health was a part of being a responsible gun owner. Irritating our politicians don't view it this way.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:45 am

Not so fun fact.... I was gifted a shotgun one year from my in-laws for bird hunting... Long story short, as soon as I went on disability my depression was really bad. Suicidal thoughts were creeping in... Don't think I would have done anything but the fact I had those thoughts I knew I needed to sell that gun, so I did. Not everyone is lucky enough to have the ability to know to do that and am thankful I did, but regardless going through that experience alone told me how important mental health was a part of being a responsible gun owner. Irritating our politicians don't view it this way.
Domestic violence is a much better predictor of this kind of thing than mental illness. The shooter in this case had a history of domestic violence. These are the people that need to be stopped from having guns, not bipolar people.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Cap wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:01 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:45 am

Domestic violence is a much better predictor of this kind of thing than mental illness. The shooter in this case had a history of domestic violence. These are the people that need to be stopped from having guns, not bipolar people.
I had heard he was dealing with mental health issues.... but you're absolutely right about that too.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think everyone on planet earth is different. People are born healthy and some not so healthy. Everyone’s mental capacity is different and shaped by events in their lives. Some are born with mental disabilities. Some develop then later. A serial killer is a bad evil person. Does he think he’s a bad evil person or does he think he is doing the right thing? Is he evil or is he suffering from a mental issue?

I am not a Trump fan at all but it is clear to me that he has some serious mental issues. He has no empathy or morals. Why is that? Is he just a bad person or is his capacity for empathy and morals non existent because that is the way his brain is wired? When people do bad things we punish them by incarcerating them? Does that make them better people? Does being in prison with a thousand other people who did bad things rehabilitate them in any way?

Treating mental health issues costs money. Nobody wants to increase taxes to pay for that. I guess there are suicide hot lines to call. John Doe was abused as a child by his father and now he is an abuser too. Put him in jail and be done with it? Freddy was raped by a priest when he was young and now he is a rapist. Put him in jail and be done with it. Our blanket answer is to incarcerate bad behavior and if bad enough end their lives and be done with it. We don’t try to understand the human brain and deal with it from that standpoint.

What makes someone go on a rampage? They got fired from their job and they come back to make everyone pay. Their girlfriend left them for a woman so they target gay people. They saw some politician on tv they admire say this group of people are bad so they go out and kill them thinking they are doing good. Their religion says a group of people are bad people so they go out and kill them in the name of god thinking they are doing a good thing. Johnny was relentlessly picked on in school for being different and one day after getting beat up he snapped and went on a killing spree. Charles was always different and decided he liked eating people and making furniture out of their bodies. Are these people all just bad people or are they just messed up in the head? Does putting them in a small jail cell for the rest of their lives makes them better or does it just get them out of the way of civilization?

I think we need to put a lot more effort into figuring out the human brain and treating mental health issues instead of just locking people up. There are warning signs in a lot of cases that goes unnoticed until it’s too late.

And selling firearms that are specifically designed to kill as many people as fast as possible is a bad idea. That should only be in the hands of the military or law enforcement. We already know this. We already know half the country doesn’t want that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The NRA will never let it happen.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That city on Maine continues to be in a lockdown as they hunt for the killer. I thought if we all just armed ourselves, we'd be super safe? Why a lockdown??

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wait, don't they want the speech to be safe? Wouldn't it be safer if everyone at the speech were packing heat??

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not really domestic terrorism. Just terrorism.

Federal government investigating multiple hacks of US water utilities
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/2 ... s-00128977
Iranian hackers suspected to be behind attacks targeting facilities that use Israeli-made equipment.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:46 am
Not really domestic terrorism. Just terrorism.
Barely even that. “None of the hacks caused significant disruption,” per the article. I don’t think anyone was terrorized, just annoyed. Annoyism?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Foreign enemies attempting to mess with our water supply in an attempt to hurt us is a little more than annoying to me.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am
Foreign enemies attempting to mess with our water supply in an attempt to hurt us is a little more than annoying to me.
But they didn’t mess with our water supply. They didn’t do much more than make some “You’ve been h4x0r3d” messages appear on some control screens. If anything, they did us a favor by revealing a vulnerability without doing any real damage. This seems more like the work of some Iranian script kiddies showing off than a hostile nation or terrorist organization intent on real harm.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's a relief. But just because it wasn't 100% successful doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous. I keep hearing that bad guys like China / Russia could basically break or shut down our power grids or our communications infrastructure if they wanted to. That seems bad. I hope we have good people working to prevent such things.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:16 pm
That's a relief. But just because it wasn't 100% successful doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous. I keep hearing that bad guys like China / Russia could basically break or shut down our power grids or our communications infrastructure if they wanted to. That seems bad. I hope we have good people working to prevent such things.
I wouldn’t know about that. Maybe China or Russia does have the capacity to mess with our water supply. Cyber Av3ngers apparently does not.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They didn’t mess with out water supply. They tried to mess with our water supply. I know it happens all the time from various entities across the globe. Some are lone wolf attacks by citizens and some are sanctioned by governments. We have our own hackers too. I was merely pointing out the latest from Iran.