Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm
There can only be one. Obama was my all time favorite President. Sometimes white people are qualified though.
Not saying white people are not qualified. Just disappointing that the choices are so limited.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's pretty sad that Kamala and Booker will not be there but Steyer will be. Similarly, Bloomberg won't drop out but Booker may. Boo. Rich old white guys buying a seat at the table is not the way the party is supposed to work.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:14 am
It's pretty sad that Kamala and Booker will not be there but Steyer will be. Similarly, Bloomberg won't drop out but Booker may. Boo. Rich old white guys buying a seat at the table is not the way the party is supposed to work.
Maybe not, but the DNC is the one to blame here. They set the rules for how to get on the stage, and much of it is predicated on how many commercials / targeted ads you can run in various markets across the country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:10 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:14 am
Maybe not, but the DNC is the one to blame here. They set the rules for how to get on the stage, and much of it is predicated on how many commercials / targeted ads you can run in various markets across the country.
I also think it's dumb that literal billionaires need to ask working-class people for small donations for their campaigns. The poor and middle-class should not be required to fund vanity campaigns run by the rich. Trickle-up economics at its worst.

jonh

Post by jonh »

The more I learn about Yang, the more I wish he was a front-runner.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yang is my second place guy after Buttigieg.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am
Yang is my second place guy after Buttigieg.
Is that literal? wasn't sure if you were being cute and meant you have a women ranked higher.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not being cute. I like Yang because he sees the big picture and comes across as genuine. His idea of a salary for all Americans is ahead of it’s time and he was ridiculed for it. Yang and Pete come across as genuine calm rational people that would treat the job as President with respect and not do any stupid things.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

What an oxymoron...... salary for all Americans, and not doing any stupid things. He very well SHOULD be ridiculed for it. It would bankrupt the country. create resentments, raise taxes and diminish motivation. Big Pass.

In reality, the economy continues to boom, and another 200,000+ jobs were created last month.

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy/art ... -positions

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The universal basic income is just a trojan horse. They will use it as an excuse to take away other existing social programs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yangs Universal Basic Income is ahead of time. It seems painfully obvious to me that at some point we won’t need humans. Unfortunately they will still get hungry.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:49 pm
In reality, the economy continues to boom, and another 200,000+ jobs were created last month.

Those jobs stats are lower than Obama's. And the economy isn't fully booming; wages are stagnant and many in the country are deeply in debt or cannot afford basic needs like housing and health care. The only lens through which the economy is booming is if you only look at Wall Street and rich corporations, who are doing great under this crooked president and his lack of proper regulations.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Technically the economy is doing fine. Dems will never give Trump any credit for it. The economy was doing fine under Obama too. He inherited the second worst economy in US history and brought us back... and no Republican gave him any credit for it. Welcome to America.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:49 pm
What an oxymoron...... salary for all Americans, and not doing any stupid things. He very well SHOULD be ridiculed for it. It would bankrupt the country. create resentments, raise taxes and diminish motivation. Big Pass.

Thanks for speaking up! I appreciate having a different perspective--I'd be curious to know about how you feel Trump is doing as a president.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The US economy looks like it's doing well because it's doing the equivalent of splurging on a BMW on credit card debt. I've been looking at analyses of the stock market and the funds have been net withdrawers from the markets -- the reason that the indices have been going up is because the corporations are gobbling up the zero-interest debt to buy back their equity. The national debt is skyrocketing and the overall trade deficit is not going down -- it's just reallocating away from China towards SEA. When this thing crashes back to earth, we're going to hit the ground hard. Like Depression hard.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:13 am
The US economy looks like it's doing well because it's doing the equivalent of splurging on a BMW on credit card debt. I've been looking at analyses of the stock market and the funds have been net withdrawers from the markets -- the reason that the indices have been going up is because the corporations are gobbling up the zero-interest debt to buy back their equity. The national debt is skyrocketing and the overall trade deficit is not going down -- it's just reallocating away from China towards SEA. When this thing crashes back to earth, we're going to hit the ground hard. Like Depression hard.
Or using it on buying other companies. We just spent 5B on a company, completely financed, at a much lower rate than any individual could get a mortgage.

If things go well, I could afford to retire (to start a 2nd career, working when I want) in 12 years. But I worry every day about where to keep/move the money I have because I am expecting another bad few years starting pretty soon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:13 am
Or using it on buying other companies. We just spent 5B on a company, completely financed, at a much lower rate than any individual could get a mortgage.

If things go well, I could afford to retire (to start a 2nd career, working when I want) in 12 years. But I worry every day about where to keep/move the money I have because I am expecting another bad few years starting pretty soon.
Yep, the correction is coming. It's not a matter of if but when.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

If VIX goes below $10 I need to move half a million dollars there and hopefully time it right...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:03 pm
If VIX goes below $10 I need to move half a million dollars there and hopefully time it right...
I had to look up what VIX was:
The CBOE Volatility Index, known by its ticker symbol VIX, is a popular measure of the stock market's expectation of volatility implied by S&P 500 index options. It is calculated and disseminated on a real-time basis by the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and is commonly referred to as the fear index or the fear gauge.
"Be Legendary."