Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:18 am
The ads get ridiculous and way over the top. I keep seeing political ads attacking Mark Kelly in our state. They basically call him a Chinese operative. A NASA space shuttle commander a Chinese operative? Sure...
Excuse me? Everyone knows Science = Communist.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I was finding The Lincoln Project a little over the top but after the last few messages I realise that's just how it goes.

This one from them is genius:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wait... Jon Voight was serious?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was hilarious! But I had no idea about Voight. I just lost a ton of respect. Pretty good actor though.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A Hollywood actor came out in support of Trump. For that you get a big shiny medal from Trump himself.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kanye West made a tweet yesterday declaring that he's running for President. It's always hard to tell whether to take him seriously. Does this help any of the other candidates? Does he pull black supporters away from Biden? Do some Trump voters instead vote for Kanye because he's openly MAGA-aligned? Or do most people just ignore this as a stunt and he gets almost no votes?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've been thinking more about what Voight actually said on video:

"President Trump is the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln."

What kind of wacko would think that? What does he think Trump has done to make him better than the other 43 presidents other than Lincoln? Granted, I didn't live through all of them but there is no question in my mind that Trump is the worst ever by a country mile. There is only one other person in the world that I know of that thinks what Voight said is true and I don't think even he really believes it.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:55 am
Kanye West made a tweet yesterday declaring that he's running for President. It's always hard to tell whether to take him seriously. Does this help any of the other candidates? Does he pull black supporters away from Biden? Do some Trump voters instead vote for Kanye because he's openly MAGA-aligned? Or do most people just ignore this as a stunt and he gets almost no votes?
Probably a stunt since he has an album coming out soon.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 pm

What kind of wacko would think that? What does he think Trump has done to make him better than the other 43 presidents other than Lincoln? Granted, I didn't live through all of them but there is no question in my mind that Trump is the worst ever by a country mile. There is only one other person in the world that I know of that thinks what Voight said is true and I don't think even he really believes it.
I have heard the argument that 1-2 other Presidents could be as bad or worse than Trump. Andrew Johnson did a wretched job of handling the Civil War reconstruction after Lincoln was killed. James Buchanan supported the Confederacy too much in the 1850s and was corrupt and incompetent. George W Bush bungled our responses to 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, led us into multiple wrongheaded wars in the Middle East, eroded our rights with the Patriot Act, wiretapped and spied on our citizens, and destroyed our economy in 2008.

But I think Trump is the very worst ever. He is the only US President in history who actively does not have the interests of the USA at heart. He has accomplished almost nothing positive in his four years; his proudest accomplishments are monuments to bigotry, xenophobia, and corruption. I think history will remember him as the worst ever.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 pm

There's probably a few things combined that could give legitimacy to the comment for Trumpers.

It's laughable for those living in reality:

He's an economic genius - look at pre-virus stock market and employment rates

Looks good on paper and it's why he's now saying "the virus is temporary" .. whereas in reality all he did was juice the market with his imbalanced tax cuts that further undermined USA's ability to deal the virus (which magnified USA's structural issues in the process).

And the post-financial crisis doctrine of paying govt debt down in the good times in order to have cash reserves in the bad times was not adhered to (not that he would have done that anyway as spending is a great way to ensure re-election, as short sighted as it is).

He's tough on China

"Nobody's been as tough on China as I have". This is only true in theory - China needs to be stood up to and while Trump has made the right noises, the reality is so far removed from his fiction (see article below) it's hard to believe this idiot is the most powerful man in the world.

Spoiler: show/hide

He's saving America from the woke left

He's a law and order guy and Antifa are going to destroy this country. It's true that the woke left are slowly destroying the world (probably about as equal threat as the fascist right at the moment I guess, though it seems easier to clamp down on hate than woke-ism), but to say the Democrats are the woke left is ridiculous but that's Trump's argument and it's believable for the Trumpers

He's racist

Abhorrent for normal people, not for all the insecure white dudes who see 'mexican rapists' taking over USA (and in my dad's case Muslims taking over the world). Trump is the man to stop this with his wall and racist overtures.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Anyway, that clip with Jon Voight says it all perfectly.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump was a victim of 'child abuse' at the hands of his father, who 'caused him terror that would scar him for life', claims President's niece who describes him as 'Frankenstein without the conscience' in explosive memoir
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -book.html

I preordered this book. According to the book, Trump like a lot of children was F’ed up by his fathers abuse. His mother was incapacitated early in Trumps life and his father who apparently was mean, had no empathy or morals was left to raise him and didn’t give a F about raising kids. Trump like most abused kids turned out just like his father.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:30 am
EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump was a victim of 'child abuse' at the hands of his father, who 'caused him terror that would scar him for life', claims President's niece who describes him as 'Frankenstein without the conscience' in explosive memoir
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -book.html

I preordered this book. According to the book, Trump like a lot of children was F’ed up by his fathers abuse. His mother was incapacitated early in Trumps life and his father who apparently was mean, had no empathy or morals was left to raise him and didn’t give a F about raising kids. Trump like most abused kids turned out just like his father.
This starts to bring a little sense to his behavior.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The same book alleges that Donald Trump hired somebody to take his SATs for him, which helped him get into Wharton college. Hmm. It sounds like the author has some family grudges (fights over inheritance and other things), so it may be good to take it with a grain of salt. If the stuff in there is true, it's pretty damning. But nobody seems to care when damning stuff comes out about Trump any more, so, meh?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I have no interest in reading any book about Donald Trump. I made up my mind about him nearly 15 years ago.

These kind of stories from his niece and John Bolton are equivalent to gossip tabloids in my mind. There's probably at least a sliver of truth in the stories, but I've long passed the point of reading anything that will change my mind about him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:53 pm
The same book alleges that Donald Trump hired somebody to take his SATs for him, which helped him get into Wharton college. Hmm. It sounds like the author has some family grudges (fights over inheritance and other things), so it may be good to take it with a grain of salt. If the stuff in there is true, it's pretty damning. But nobody seems to care when damning stuff comes out about Trump any more, so, meh?
Just because there is animosity doesn't mean it isn't all true.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And she was there, not just some author making it up from some hearsay. She grew up around him and is a professional psychologist.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Can't make this stuff up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllan ... n-between/

Kanye West is running for President as a member of the Birthday Party (so it will feel like your birthday when he's elected, according to him).

He will get all of his campaign advice from Kim Kardashian and Elon Musk (speaking of which, fuck Elon Musk. The dude has so many screws loose).

He got Covid-19 in February and is anti-vaccination.

He plans to run the country like Wakanda, a fictional city from Black Panther, the Marvel film.

ON VACCINES
“It’s so many of our children that are being vaccinated and paralyzed… So when they say the way we’re going to fix Covid is with a vaccine, I’m extremely cautious. That’s the mark of the beast. They want to put chips inside of us, they want to do all kinds of things, to make it where we can’t cross the gates of heaven. I'm sorry when I say they, the humans that have the Devil inside them. And the sad thing is that, the saddest thing is that we all won’t make it to heaven, that there’ll be some of us that do not make it. Next question.”
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are SO doomed....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like he's just being silly to promote his about-to-release clothing line and album. Presumably he'll withdraw from his "campaign" before Nov.