Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition »

Why did the House Managers want to call witnesses, had the vote that passed, and then completely changed their minds?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know. I don’t think it matters in the slightest bit. Maybe they didn’t want to drag out the trial when it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Witnesses or no witnesses. The GOP wasn’t going to convict Trump no matter how much evidence was presented and everyone on planet earth knows it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was looking forward to hearing from witnesses and was a little disappointed that it didn't play out. I don't understand McConnell's reasoning for his vote, when it was clearly his fault for not starting the trial prior to Jan 20th. I agree with you guys, that was pretty rich of him.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I gave up trying to figure out McConnells motives other than promoting the GOP. He wouldn’t allow the trial to start before Trump left office and then said it was too late after he left office. He made it abundantly clear he thought Trump was guilty but, under no circumstances was he going to vote him guilty. He seems to clearly not want Trump around in politics anymore. Voting guilty would have barred Trump from the office again.

It’s pretty obvious Trump is a vindictive spiteful man who holds grudges til he dies. Trump has announced the impeachment trial was a hoax witch hunt and that MAGA is just beginning. He feels totally vindicated. He was acquitted and found 100% innocent of all charges. The insurrection never happened. Trump will spend the rest of his life getting even and our Democracy is the last thing he cares about. I used to be proud to be an American. I’m not anymore. I am totally embarrassed by my country and ashamed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The GOP is going to have a problem on their hands, which side of the teeter totter will they finally land? I have a feeling that McConnell's side is going to lose this battle, and either they are going to fracture and another party is going to rise up to take it's place, or Republicans like McConnell, Haley, and Romney are going to be pushed out, imo.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think that last tweet has it backwards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Graham seems all in on Trump now, based off his most recent comments.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 am
In what way? You think that Graham is aligning with McConnell, or that Graham's credibility has collapsed inside the GOP?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:33 am
Indy wrote:
In what way? You think that Graham is aligning with McConnell, or that Graham's credibility has collapsed inside the GOP?
Graham has never had credibility in the GOP. He is a lackey, and always has been, and everyone in the GOP knows it. He finds someone that he can latch onto like a pilot fish. He did that to McCain for a dozen years. After he was cut loose, he had to find someone else. That became Trump, and he hasn't looked back yet.

So I guess it comes down to this: Does Trump have more credibility within the party, or does McConnell? One of those guys got things done, and one didn't--regardless if you support the actions. Trump didn't get hundreds of judges approved, or get 3 people on the SC or block another. That was all Mitch.

But newsmax is beholden to Trump, so they are going to call it as Lindsey=good, Mitch=bad.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Graham has never had credibility in the GOP. He is a lackey, and always has been, and everyone in the GOP knows it. He finds someone that he can latch onto like a pilot fish. He did that to McCain for a dozen years. After he was cut loose, he had to find someone else. That became Trump, and he hasn't looked back yet.

So I guess it comes down to this: Does Trump have more credibility within the party, or does McConnell? One of those guys got things done, and one didn't--regardless if you support the actions. Trump didn't get hundreds of judges approved, or get 3 people on the SC or block another. That was all Mitch.

But newsmax is beholden to Trump, so they are going to call it as Lindsey=good, Mitch=bad.
You may be right about Graham, but I can nearly guarantee that McConnell is a dead man walking(figuratively speaking) and this is the last term he will ever serve, if he even makes it the full term. I wouldn't be surprised if he is removed from office before the year is over.

Who gives a care about Newsmax? Lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

You may be right about Graham, but I can nearly guarantee that McConnell is a dead man walking(figuratively speaking) and this is the last term he will ever serve, if he even makes it the full term. I wouldn't be surprised if he is removed from office before the year is over.

The comment you posted about Graham was from Newsmax.

And why do you think McConnell will be recalled or impeached and removed? I think it is more likely that happens to Graham considering he is under investigation for election tampering in GA. McConnell just won re-election pretty easily to another 6 year term.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:28 am
Graham seems all in on Trump now, based off his most recent comments.
Graham in a nutshell. He’s against Trump until he’s for him. He’s for impeachment without a crime until he’s against impeachment without a crime. He’s against picking Judges at the end of a Presidential term until he’s for picking judges at the end of a term. In other words Graham is full of shit and none of his words have any meaning.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

The comment you posted about Graham was from Newsmax.

And why do you think McConnell will be recalled or impeached and removed? I think it is more likely that happens to Graham considering he is under investigation for election tampering in GA. McConnell just won re-election pretty easily to another 6 year term.
Oh, I see what you're saying, Emerald Robinson is with Newsmax. I don't think that this quote or tweet would change, whether Robinson was with Newsmax or some other news group.

Graham getting impeached or removed I don't think is going to happen. I think that investigation is ridiculous.

I don't think the questions and inquiries into the election results is going to go away any time soon. McConnell's win is a bit questionable, imo. It's possible that he could be removed using other legal means too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There are not a lot of ways to remove a sitting senator. Death, resignation, impeach/removed, and 14th amendment. I doubt he is going to resign, as he is really hoping to be majority leader again in 2 years.

And you think it is ridiculous to investigate a sitting senator for election interference? Or just in Graham's case?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 am
There are not a lot of ways to remove a sitting senator. Death, resignation, impeach/removed, and 14th amendment. I doubt he is going to resign, as he is really hoping to be majority leader again in 2 years.

And you think it is ridiculous to investigate a sitting senator for election interference? Or just in Graham's case?
I think the case is silly, not investigating a sitting senator.

I agree that I doubt that he would resign, unless something really incriminating comes to light(not saying that it would). And you're right, there are not a lot of ways to remove a sitting senator. There is another option legally that could happen, but I'm not going to get into that right now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

can you enlighten me as to the other legal ways to remove a sitting senator?

Indy

Post by Indy »

And do you agree that IF there is some evidence a senator asked a Secretary of State to interfere in an election, that it should be investigated?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree that if there is actual evidence, than it should be investigated, but I disagree that what Graham did was interference into the election.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm
I agree that if there is actual evidence, than it should be investigated, but I disagree that what Graham did was interference into the election.
You investigate to find evidence once you have reason to believe a crime may have been committed--like when someone credibly accuses it of happening. You don't wait for evidence to show up and then start to look for it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm
You investigate to find evidence once you have reason to believe a crime may have been committed--like when someone credibly accuses it of happening. You don't wait for evidence to show up and then start to look for it.
That's fine.