Nike recalls shoes amid racial concerns

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Nike recalls shoes amid racial concerns

Post by In2ition »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-rec ... 1gbd0noiom

This isn't necessarily a Political topic, because it's something that I believe all fair minded people in this country believe, that Racism is wrong, no matter what party you are a part of. It's really sad that a overtly racist organizations are able to adopt USA symbols in our history and then have them immediately tainted. Racism is disgusting and shouldn't be promoted in any way. It doesn't matter what form of it either, it's all wrong. It's hard for me to think that Betsy Ross was sitting in her chair creating and stitching up this flag for this fledgling country and thinking, "This is for all of us protestant white European settlers, who enjoy and LOVE the institutionalization of slavery! Screw you Britain for trying to take that away."
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Re: Nike recalls shoes amid racial concerns

Post by Mori Chu »

Honestly who cares about this at all? This is the kind of culture war garbage that right-wing media outlets love to amp up. Nike cancels American Flag shoe! Political Correctness run amok! Colin Kaepernick is at it again!!

Who cares? Why do you not care that thousands of kids are in cages dying on the border, but you rush here to post about this irrelevant garbage? Do you see how right wing media manipulates you into caring about things that do not matter, into getting riled up over culture wars to make you hate the other side, the evil Dems and PC liberals that blocked your precious USA flag Nike shoe?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sorry to get all riled up about it. It's just that I see my right-wing friends constantly mad about some shoe, some liberal college campus speech thing, some alleged bias in social media like Twitter. This is the most inane unimportant stuff. Trump is killing immigrants. He's over at the G20 smiling with Putin and Kim and MBS. He's having a dictator-like July 4th parade with tanks down the street and a GOP-run VIP area, turning our most patriotic and nonpartisan holiday into a Republican event. He's hosting diplomatic events at his hotels and pocketing millions. He's positioning his princess daughter to be the next President despite her having no formal job or title. He's ignoring the climate crisis that will probably exterminate our species within our lifetimes. Nazis and the KKK are back in power and they love our current President. And you're worked up about political correctness over an effing shoe? Seriously, why is this what you focus on?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am
Honestly who cares about this at all? This is the kind of culture war garbage that right-wing media outlets love to amp up. Nike cancels American Flag shoe! Political Correctness run amok! Colin Kaepernick is at it again!!

Who cares? Why do you not care that thousands of kids are in cages dying on the border, but you rush here to post about this irrelevant garbage? Do you see how right wing media manipulates you into caring about things that do not matter, into getting riled up over culture wars to make you hate the other side, the evil Dems and PC liberals that blocked your precious USA flag Nike shoe?
What the heck are you talking about Marty? I heard this on sports radio this morning, and I was talking about symbolism and how they are being made out to be something that they never were. It wasn't some Right wing media show I was watching or listening to.

Do you seriously have a problem with me or feel like you are so superior to me that you feel the need to talk down to me?

Say the same things, but change it to "left wing media", and say it in the mirror to yourself and tell me how that makes you feel, please. I just think these things are sad, but honestly I don't care about a shoe or if it got discontinued or not.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 am
Sorry to get all riled up about it. It's just that I see my right-wing friends constantly mad about some shoe, some liberal college campus speech thing, some alleged bias in social media like Twitter. This is the most inane unimportant stuff. Trump is killing immigrants. He's over at the G20 smiling with Putin and Kim and MBS. He's having a dictator-like July 4th parade with tanks down the street and a GOP-run VIP area, turning our most patriotic and nonpartisan holiday into a Republican event. He's hosting diplomatic events at his hotels and pocketing millions. He's positioning his princess daughter to be the next President despite her having no formal job or title. He's ignoring the climate crisis that will probably exterminate our species within our lifetimes. Nazis and the KKK are back in power and they love our current President. And you're worked up about political correctness over an effing shoe? Seriously, why is this what you focus on?
Honestly, I don't know what to say. I don't post tons and tons of stuff that never gets mentioned on here, so...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm sorry I went off on you. I have been really upset about the immigrant kids in cages stuff lately and lost my cool. I respect you and your opinions and appreciate your posts here, whether we agree on any particular issue or not.

As for this specific issue, I need to read more about it before I decide what I think. I don't know the history or usage of that specific flag icon or whether it has any racial connotations. In general I'm not super invested in the issue but it is interesting to read about.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty, clearly you are sensitive to that subject. I don't blame you. It congers up horrible images of kids hanging from the ceiling sitting in the own feces in cages too small for them to even stretch out from in a cold and damp building with concrete and dirt floors. I'm sure that's what it was meant to do, to whip us into a frenzy.

Maybe I'm naive, which could totally be the case I admit, but have you been there? Do you know all that is to know about what's happening on the border, why policies are created, the entire history of the policies, and know all the answers to fixing every single issue in relation to those policies?

My understanding is that you live in Silicon valley and work as a professor at Stanford in computer engineering. I may not be giving you enough credit for your expertise in this particular subject "border crossings and government involvement". God knows I don't know enough. If that's your passion, I get how you are making this topic into a fight for what you believe in, but I don't understand how I became your punching bag in regards to it. Is it because I'm conservative in general in relation to you(but probably more libertarian leanings in actuality) and you feel like I don't have compassion for my fellow man because of that leaning?

Do I dare suggest that you volunteer your time to go down to the border and help these poor souls and children and let us know what we should be doing about it?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

IDGF about a damn shoe.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 am
It's hard for me to think that Betsy Ross was sitting in her chair creating and stitching up this flag for this fledgling country and thinking, "This is for all of us protestant white European settlers, who enjoy and LOVE the institutionalization of slavery! Screw you Britain for trying to take that away."
Neither was the creator of Pepe the Frog.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

My understanding is that the 13 stars flag is used by some white supremacists. Until today I had never heard of such a thing and I would never disrespect the flag (and that is a version of our American flag) just because someone said they wanted to use it to symbolize something I disagree with.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I believe that flag belongs to America, not white supremacists. If they flew the AZ flag would we have to get a new one? I think pulling the shoe line is going too far. The Rebel flag belonged to the South and represented pro slavery. I can see why that flag and the NAZI flag are taboo, but not Bestie Ross’s flag.

You are singled out In2ition sometimes because you are the only person that posts from the right here. There was a few others but we chased them all away over the years. It gets boring arguing with people that always agree with you so don’t let it scare you off.

I don’t think you can just go to the border and volunteer. Even prominent politicians weren’t allowed to visit and were turned away without a weeks notice.

It is my understanding that we did catch and release with illegals before Trump unless they were found guilty of a serious crime, then they were held. As I understand it now we are incarcerating everybody now and that is why there is so much over crowding and separation of families. That is totally taxing the system that isn’t designed for this.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/ ... camps.html

I think Trump thinks detaining them all and treating them like shit would have the effect of making less people want to come here. Instead there has been more people coming lately. To be honest I don’t know why that is. Maybe conditions have gotten worse in those countries.

We should really be trying to ask why are these people so desperate? Why are the conditions in their countries so bad that they are willing to risk everything to come here? What can the US do to help those countries? I don’t think many people like leaving their own country unless things are really bad. We are treating the symptoms but not the cause. Maybe there is nothing we can do. Maybe there is. We don’t ever seem to think about the cause, only treating the symptoms. It reminds me of health care in the US to.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodak, I totally agree with you. It would help everyone if their country was so terrible to try to help them where they live. My understanding is that people generally don't want to leave their home, and it would cost far less to help improve where they live. Of course, there are those places that just aren't willing to allow the US to cime in and help.

I always thought the best and easiest way to come in, depending on where you are from, is to come in on a tourist visa to visit and then not leave. Obviously, many communist countries for instance aren't going to offer visas out, and many more only get so many, from my limited understanding.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1146224587664973824

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There are lots of photos of the squalid conditions in the cage centers (concentration camps). I don't need to go there myself to know that. It's an atrocity.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s always election time anymore and both party’s are looking for things to be enraged about to fire up their base. The shoe thing is kind of a non story for me.

The immigration thing was kind of a non story for me as well but has now gotten out of control. I don’t even know what’s the right or wrong thing to do.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This guy has kids in cages in his own state, and he doesn't talk about that. Instead:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I can’t fault him for talking about Nike. There are many subjects out there to talk about. You can talk about more than one subject at a time even if you have kids in cages in your home state that you should be ashamed of.

Having said that Cruz is a putz. He and other Republicans have ignored the reasons given for the protests over and over. These people are protesting police brutality on blacks, not the military and yet Republicans always make it about disrespecting the military and never ever mention the police as a reason. The FOX narrative is that they hate America and hate our flag and that’s why they are protesting. That’s dishonest of course and par for the course.