NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
virtual9mm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.
Are you essentially stuck there, or are there other places that you could live you life just as easily but be safer?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

virtual9mm wrote:
As you can tell by my numerous posts on this subject, I am taking it seriously. It seems as of China and Russia are intent on pushing their boundaries since Biden was elected. Russia has massed a lot of troops near the border of Ukraine very recently. With the US at war with itself, both of them and even Iran might think now is a good time to see how much they can get away with before we respond.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Are you essentially stuck there, or are there other places that you could live you life just as easily but be safer?
We can always make a run for it but the stupidity of the Trump years has delayed my wife's green card application. Of course, we could always go to Canada since she's a Canadian citizen. But there isn't all that much that someone with my qualifications could easily do in Canada and my wife's career would be similarly shot.

The reality is that we're crossing our fingers that we won't have to leave for a couple of years and that we'll be in a much better position by then.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am
virtual9mm wrote:
As you can tell by my numerous posts on this subject, I am taking it seriously. It seems as of China and Russia are intent on pushing their boundaries since Biden was elected. Russia has massed a lot of troops near the border of Ukraine very recently. With the US at war with itself, both of them and even Iran might think now is a good time to see how much they can get away with before we respond.
I get the feeling that you might be one of the very few folks in the US who truly realize how dangerous this situation is. Yang Jiechi and others are actively testing the degree to which the US is still the US after Trump. Biden's more of a normal/real president but the damage has been done. I think that America is slowly but surely losing to the Chinese even after competent folks have taken over State and Defense.

I don't think that China will actually invade but regardless we're in for a world of shit. While we squabble about serious existential issues back at home, our economic and military security position is being seriously degraded. If Korea decides to sit out on the Quad, China's just secured its northeastern flank and will get super aggressive in the South China Sea. And that WILL have an effect on the domestic economy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think the economic war with China was lost a while ago. We aren’t doing the things we need to do to compete because we cannot agree on anything no matter how small. It’s really sad to see our downfall at the hands of ourselves. Like you said virtual, we won’t wise up until our nose has been bloodied.

I hope you stay safe virtual9mm. China has definitely been building up their military and it seems to me like Americans are paying for it every time we buy something. It seems to me China isn’t known for global aggression but, will defend itself if it feels threatened. Hong Kong is complicated and it seems China is fighting a slow siege to take control by scaring the hell out of them with their increased military presence.

Russia seems poised to attack the Ukraine with a full frontal assault and I wonder what our response will be. Republicans will automatically attack Biden’s response or lack of response. That is a given and that’s what Putin will be counting on.

I also sort of expect China and Russia would coordinate their attacks. Russia invades the Ukraine and China tries yo take over Hong Kong by force. What would be the US response? What should the US response be?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am
I think the economic war with China was lost a while ago. We aren’t doing the things we need to do to compete because we cannot agree on anything no matter how small. It’s really sad to see our downfall at the hands of ourselves. Like you said virtual, we won’t wise up until our nose has been bloodied.

I hope you stay safe virtual9mm. China has definitely been building up their military and it seems to me like Americans are paying for it every time we buy something. It seems to me China isn’t known for global aggression but, will defend itself if it feels threatened. Hong Kong is complicated and it seems China is fighting a slow siege to take control by scaring the hell out of them with their increased military presence.

Russia seems poised to attack the Ukraine with a full frontal assault and I wonder what our response will be. Republicans will automatically attack Biden’s response or lack of response. That is a given and that’s what Putin will be counting on.

I also sort of expect China and Russia would coordinate their attacks. Russia invades the Ukraine and China tries yo take over Hong Kong by force. What would be the US response? What should the US response be?
Oh -- China has been ultra aggressive everywhere (e.g. the military conflict with India), already has eliminated Hong Kong autonomy, and yet we can't agree on basic stuff like vaccines. The day is already very late.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China already ‘engaging in irregular war’ with US in the ‘grey zone’
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chin ... 00bbfad62f
“Russia and China plan on winning the Great Power Competition by undermining the US, sowing discord, and continuing a secret war until the positions in the world order are reversed,” an essay by US navy analyst Derek Bernsen argues.

“In the run-up to and during a conflict, we would expect Chinese forces to ramp up these efforts, especially against nations hosting US forces,” the West Point think-tank warns. “China could promote narratives about US military abuses of a local population, some exaggerated and some imagined, to turn the population against its government’s support to the United States.”

Beijing is trying to grind down its neighbours.
Relentless pressure is employed on its borders with India, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and Vietnam.