NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:24 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 pm
Morey seems informed on what China is doing. He might not be informed of NBA policy dictating 100% support of China’s policies. lebron is well informed on China ass kissing.
pretty sure nike controls lebron more than the NBA.
Nike makes a lot of shoes in China. They are also pretty famous for running sweat shops. They even make all the NBA uniforms now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:24 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 pm
Morey seems informed on what China is doing. He might not be informed of NBA policy dictating 100% support of China’s policies. lebron is well informed on China ass kissing.
pretty sure nike controls lebron more than the NBA.
Nike makes a lot of shoes in China. They are also pretty famous for running sweat shops. They even make all the NBA uniforms now.
Exactly. If the Chinese government were to impose a ban of selling NBA merch and US-based basketball shoes, Nike would lose billions. Nike has reported 6.2B in sales expectations for 2019 in China alone.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Money talks...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Money talks...
certainly more than people when it comes to politics and corporations.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Having lived in Hong Kong for nearly a decade now -- and having somehow found myself in the position of having connections to the protesters, the cops, the media, and even the government -- I'm regretfully finding myself knowing more about the protests than I would really like. To make a long story short, what started out as a movement to push against exactly the kind of Chinese heavy-handedness that the NBA situation represents has now devolved into senseless violence.

Next up is terrorism -- my estimate is that Hong Kong will become the new Belfast or at least a new Barcelona (in the best case scenario). They're blowing up remote-controlled IEDs now.

But under no circumstances should the NBA cave into the kinds of nonsense that is being requested of it. Look what happened to Cathay Pacific and HSBC. This is the future if American businesses don't take a stand.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This is a scary situation. It is my understanding that Hong Kong doesn’t want to become part of China and that China wants Hong Kong to be a regular part of China. It sort of reminds me of when China decided to crack down on Tibet. In a way they are like the Borg. They won’t give up until they have accomplished their goal. If China wants to really crack down and make it happen I don’t know what Hong Kong can really do to stop it.

If this continues to get worse I don’t see how the NBA can stand by and pretend everything is fine. They will be forced to take a stand or face harsh political repercussions I think.

carey

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:This is a scary situation. It is my understanding that Hong Kong doesn’t want to become part of China and that China wants Hong Kong to be a regular part of China. It sort of reminds me of when China decided to crack down on Tibet. In a way they are like the Borg. They won’t give up until they have accomplished their goal. If China wants to really crack down and make it happen I don’t know what Hong Kong can really do to stop it.

If this continues to get worse I don’t see how the NBA can stand by and pretend everything is fine. They will be forced to take a stand or face harsh political repercussions I think.
That's pretty much it. Until 1997 HK was under British rule but then they became part of China only they had more rights and autonomy than mainland Chinese. Recently a new bill was proposed that would allow extradition to the mainland for certain things. Naturally there is heavy resistance with HK residents wanting to keep the status quo of “one country two systems.”
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The kinds of shit that China is doing in terms of censorship and repression are pretty scary. One kid I know who played tourist at one protest site for one evening got caught -- he's a mainlander who was initially sympathetic towards the protests (as most mainlanders in HK were at the beginning). Provincial and local security forces have been interrogating his folks and hassling him every time he crosses the border. This kid's life is being ruined because the Chinese have a zero tolerance policy in place.

Not so long ago, I taught political economy for an elite US university in their Shanghai campus, was very vocal about the perceived weaknesses of the system both locally and internationally, and I felt fine about it. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this today. And if American companies don't take a hard line against China with these kinds of tactics, this is the future all over the world.

Not to say that I support the HK protests in their current form. The kids who are blowing shit up and stabbing cops no longer have the support of most pro-democracy folks.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virt, I appreciate your unique take on the situation based on your circumstances. You have unique insight into the whole thing.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:25 pm
virt, I appreciate your unique take on the situation based on your circumstances. You have unique insight into the whole thing.
Thanks -- wish I hadn't been in position to see it firsthand, though.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes thanks virtual9mm!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There are now people buying big sections in NBA games and packing them with people wearing pro Hong Kong shirts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -protests/

Silver said earlier in the week that Chinese officials urged the NBA to fire Morey over his since-deleted tweet in support of the protest movement in Hong Kong. The Chinese government denied making that request. The CCTV commentary declared Silver had “defamed” China and had “problems in his character.”

Hours later commentary that aired on state broadcaster CCTV warned that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver would receive “retribution sooner or later,” according to the South China Morning Post. “To please some American politicians, Silver has fabricated lies out of nothing and has sought to paint China as unforgiving,” it said.

This isn’t going away any time soon.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:34 pm
It did. When was the last time you heard about it. I'm not saying the covid issue was conveniently timed but I'm not saying it wasn't either. Just saying food for thought.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JJ Slim wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:14 am
Nodack wrote:
It did. When was the last time you heard about it. I'm not saying the covid issue was conveniently timed but I'm not saying it wasn't either. Just saying food for thought.
Still hasn't gone away. But electoral victories cool tempers as folks realize that their people have power within the government.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 am
JJ Slim wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:14 am
Nodack wrote:
Still hasn't gone away. But electoral victories cool tempers as folks realize that their people have power within the government.
thanks for the local perspectives here

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm months late to this discussion, but if anybody still wants to talk about it, I can probably also offer some more insights. I'm not exactly on the ground like v9m, but I guess I'm a lot closer to it than most of the guys on this board.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We all seem to be getting closer to it by the day.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China signals plan to take full control of Hong Kong
https://www.greenwichtime.com/news/arti ... 285627.php

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

COLD FRONT China deploys two new aircraft carriers to stoke tensions with US after warning of a ‘new cold war
https://www.the-sun.com/news/881173/chi ... -cold-war/

Chinese state media has threatened Australia with economic devastation if it supports the United States, warning it "may feel more pain than the US".

This will be the first time China's new aircraft carriers deploy together for the first time and the move has sparked fears in Taiwan of a possible invasion of its Pratas islands - which could then be used as a staging point for an attack on the mainland.

It comes after Beijing threatened to "reunify" Taiwan in response to Donald Trump saying he could "cut off the whole relationship" with China.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 pm
COLD FRONT China deploys two new aircraft carriers to stoke tensions with US after warning of a ‘new cold war
https://www.the-sun.com/news/881173/chi ... -cold-war/

Chinese state media has threatened Australia with economic devastation if it supports the United States, warning it "may feel more pain than the US".

This will be the first time China's new aircraft carriers deploy together for the first time and the move has sparked fears in Taiwan of a possible invasion of its Pratas islands - which could then be used as a staging point for an attack on the mainland.

It comes after Beijing threatened to "reunify" Taiwan in response to Donald Trump saying he could "cut off the whole relationship" with China.

I made an error when I said the Daily Mail is a Murdoch paper - it's actually a Murdoch-style paper.

The Sun is a Murdoch paper.

While I can bring myself to click on Mail links occasionally, I refuse to click on Sun links at all, largely in support of the city of Liverpool / Liverpool Football Club, arguably the biggest club in the UK...:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/why-the-su ... 7tllvac6fb

...and also its contribution to Brexit - the Sun not being read in Liverpool was one of the reasons the city chose Remain, rather than Leave, like most of Northern England did, trumped up on WWII nostalgia, immigrant xenophobia and Brexit lies.