Polls

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
jonh

Re: Polls

Post by jonh »

Agreed, but I do think that there is a big difference between 70 and 78, when you think about them being in office for potentially the next 8 years. For example, if he served 2 terms, Sanders would be nearly 90 by the time he finishes, whereas Warren would be Sanders age NOW (which I would still be worried about her age). At what point do you start losing your mental faculties, especially when dealing with the rigors of being the president? Its not a disqualifying feature, but it is the biggest mark on Sanders and Biden.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:30 pm
Agreed, but I do think that there is a big difference between 70 and 78, when you think about them being in office for potentially the next 8 years. For example, if he served 2 terms, Sanders would be nearly 90 by the time he finishes, whereas Warren would be Sanders age NOW (which I would still be worried about her age). At what point do you start losing your mental faculties, especially when dealing with the rigors of being the president? Its not a disqualifying feature, but it is the biggest mark on Sanders and Biden.
I think both of those guys have shown a lack of being able to control themselves mentally during the early stages of the campaign. We know how grueling all of the travel and prep for speeches can be--non-stop, 7 days a week with little sleep. Then you win and it goes on the same way for at least 4 years (unless you are the current president that doesn't work). It is a lot to ask of someone at nearly any age.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Notice how much presidents gray while in office. It has to be draining. As much as I dislike Trump, I can’t even fathom the pressure he is under right now.

I am concerned with Biden, Sanders and Warren’s age. If they get the nomination I will be forced to vote for them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Age affects everyone differently. To me it's not just about a number but also about how the person takes care of themselves and how they act. As Indy says, the way Warren acts is much more alert and present than the other two old dudes. Bernie still has good energy at his age, but you can see the signs of wear and tear. And Biden just seems only about 60% present most of the time. I'm worried about his ability to serve a 4-year term.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Don’t know where to put this so putting it here.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Some FiveThirtyEight poll tracking on impeachment.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... -month-in/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Today I found myself wondering when the various state primaries will be for the Dems. Here is the schedule:

https://www.270towin.com/2020-election-calendar/

Iowa is first on Feb 3.
Then New Hampshire on Feb 11.
Nevada on Feb 22.
South Carolina Feb 29 (leap day!).
Then the huge Super Tuesday comes on Mar 3, with around 14 states all on the same day.

(Side note: I kind of hate how we let these particular states dictate so much about our primary process. Why does Iowa get to go first every time? Why not have more clumped days like March 3, to give more states a weight and importance in the primary?)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 am
Today I found myself wondering when the various state primaries will be for the Dems. Here is the schedule:

https://www.270towin.com/2020-election-calendar/

Iowa is first on Feb 3.
Then New Hampshire on Feb 11.
Nevada on Feb 22.
South Carolina Feb 29 (leap day!).
Then the huge Super Tuesday comes on Mar 3, with around 14 states all on the same day.

(Side note: I kind of hate how we let these particular states dictate so much about our primary process. Why does Iowa get to go first every time? Why not have more clumped days like March 3, to give more states a weight and importance in the primary?)
Iowa doesn't get to go first if any other state wants to go first instead. Federal elections are governed by the states, so they can basically do whatever they want.