Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Split T »

I’m vaccinated and the Red Cross took my blood for the record.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:23 pm
3rdside wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:49 pm
Your man In2..
In what way is the pastor in that video In2's man? Are you trolling him, or did he endorse that pastor in some way?
Is it a troll?

Absolutely.

I'm no academic but I've done a Masters degree and In2's approach to arguing and citing credible sources is so bad it would get him laughed out of any self respecting academic institution let alone be worthy of reply.

That you guys continue to is a testament to you, even though I'm surprised you haven't just ignored it.

But I don't know In2 that well so perhaps I feel less obligation to tolerate it, and with that said I have tried to push him in the direction of basic 'academic credibility' which continues to go entirely disregarded, adding further insult to the drivel-I'm-subjected-to-reading injury on this otherwise very credible message board.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2 - I propose a serious question here:

You've mentioned in the past that you're not financially comfortable (and I don't say this as an attack, simply repeating what I believe you've said in the past).

There is a a theory called Attribution theory as relating to the issue of Self Serving Bias - that is, to take credit for one's success but to blame others for one's failures.

Do you blame the US government, specifically the Democrats, for your lack of financial success?

It's just a theory so if I'm off the mark then please ignore, I just don't understand how you can continually post what you do and not listen to a word of what we're trying to tell you about how fucking brain washed you sound.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Washington (CNN)Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Tuesday compared officials carrying out President Joe Biden's latest Covid-19 vaccination push to Nazi-era "brown shirts," just weeks after apologizing for her comments comparing Capitol Hill mask-wearing rules to the Holocaust.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/politics ... index.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Disputes over mask mandates comprise 75% of FAA’s unruly-passenger complaints on planes
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/06/dispute ... anes-.html
Roughly 75% of the unruly-passenger reports since Jan. 1 have started with people who didn’t want to wear their masks and escalated from there into profanity, shouting matches, even physical violence, the agency said Tuesday.

The FAA implemented a “zero tolerance” policy at the beginning of this year with hefty fines that was aimed at curbing unruly passengers after an uptick in incidents, but that hasn’t stopped travelers from swearing at airline workers, disrupting flights and even knocking two teeth out of one flight attendant’s mouth.

“It’s out of control,” said Paul Hartshorn, spokesman for the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents American Airlines’ more than 20,000 cabin crew members. “It’s really coming to the point where we have to defend ourselves.”

American Airlines cancels flight from North Carolina to Bahamas after group of 46 Boston teens refuse to wear their masks
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... masks.html
American Airlines was forced to cancel a flight from North Carolina to the Bahamas after a group of teenagers refused to wear face masks - and they were then forced to sleep in the airport overnight because they were too young to check into a hotel.

Flight 893 was scheduled to depart from Charlotte Douglas International Airport enroute to Nassau on Monday when passengers say the group of teens from Boston started being 'very obnoxious'.

'It was bad. Firstly they were yelling, they were cussing. They were being very obnoxious,' Malik Banks, who was sitting next to the group, told WSOC-TV.

It wasn't all of them... I'd say 75 to 80 percent of them were being terrible kids.'

He said they were forced to wait six hours before they were told what was happening with the flight.

Another passenger, Christina Randolph, said: 'All they had to do was follow the rules, put the mask on, sit there, no smart mouth comments. They couldn't do it.'

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They should all be banned from air travel for a long time.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Fox has quietly implemented its own version of a vaccine passport while its top personalities attack them
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media/fo ... index.html

Fox News has spent months portraying the notion that people might be asked to show vaccination status as dangerous to personal freedom and anti-American.
Fox has also hyped the rejection of vaccine passports by Republican elected officials like Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Fox Corporation, the right-wing talk channel's parent company, has quietly implemented the concept of a vaccine passport as workers slowly return back to the company's offices.

Fox employees, including those who work at Fox News, received an email from the company's Human Resources department in early June that said Fox had "developed a secure, voluntary way for employees to self-attest their vaccination status." The system allows for employees to self-report to Fox the dates their shots were administered and which vaccines were used.

Employees who report their status are allowed to bypass the otherwise required daily health screening, according to a follow-up email those who reported their vaccination status received.
"Thank you for providing FOX with your vaccination information," the email said. "You no longer are required to complete your daily health screening through WorkCare/WorkMatters."

The concept, which was first reported Monday by Ryan Grim on The Hill's morning streaming show, is known internally as "FOX Clear Pass."
While the "Fox Clear Pass" is voluntary for employees, and other companies have similar tools, it is still remarkable, given how vocal Fox's top talent has been in criticizing the concept of vaccine passports.

It's not the first time that Fox has been so brazenly hypocritical about coronavirus precautions.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:41 pm
Fox has quietly implemented its own version of a vaccine passport while its top personalities attack them
you don't say

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So, um, COVID-19 is back like bellbottoms, kids. Florida alone had 20.6k cases yesterday, highest since February (which was before the vaccines were widely available). All the anti-vax BS has really hampered our ability to reach something like herd immunity and stop the rise of cases.

Delta variant does not mess around. That leaked CDC presentation says it is as contagious as chicken pox. CDC thinks it is likely to become an endemic disease, in the sense that everyone on Earth may eventually get it. Scary stuff.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All these changes in mask stuff is confusing and annoying a lot of people. Now they say wear a mask in enclosed public places even if you were vaccinated. I was just at the grocery store. Half the employees wore a mask. About a third of the customers did. The day before I went to the dentist. I brought my mask and was going to wait to see what everyone else was going. The receptionist didn’t wear one so, I didn’t. Then a young lady came in and wore a mask. Then I was uncomfortable thinking, should I put on a mask?

The new strain of the virus I guess is a lot worse than the others and more easily transferred to other people. Vaccinated people are getting it. The vast majority don’t get sick. They might not know they have it and give it and pass Covid along.

Damn you Mother Nature!

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I took the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back in June. However, I still think people should take supplements for immune health. Vitamin C & D3, zinc, and ginger. IMO those supplements should be sold out or close at every grocery store. You have to build your immune system up, cause I don't think the vaccine alone is going to be enough.

Stay safe !
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sounds about right for Texas.

North Texas Hospitals’ Request For Emergency Staff Denied By State
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/08/03/tex ... ied-state/
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Hospitals in North Texas say they need hundreds of additional staff to deal with a surge of COVID-19 cases, but the state has denied their requests for emergency personnel.

“We’ve got a very fatigued workforce,” said Stephen Love, President/CEO of the Dallas-Fort Worth Hospital Council. “These frontline people, they are really heroes. They’ve been at this 18 or 19 months. Many of tired, many are leaving the profession.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans are getting their own voters killed. I guess that's one way to win elections.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:53 am
Republicans are getting their own voters killed. I guess that's one way to win elections.
Probably even more effective than gerrymandering.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This is the closest to a health care thread so…

U.S. Health System Ranks Last Among 11 High-Income Countries
https://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/ ... -countries
Among contributors to the poor showing by the U.S. is that half (50%) of lower-income adults and 27% of higher-income adults say costs keep them from getting needed health care. "In no other country does income inequality so profoundly limit access to care," Blumenthal said.

I was just watching John Olliver and he showed a video of a woman getting pinned between the platform and the subway car getting off a subway car in NYC. She begged for them NOT to call an ambulance because it’s $3000 for a ride and she couldn’t afford it. Obamacare was a step towards Universal Health Care for the US but was neutered and isn’t Universal Health Care. What will be done about it? Nothing. I am so embarrassed by my country right now. We are rotting from the inside out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

'Easy money': How international scam artists pulled off an epic theft of Covid benefits
Russian mobsters, Chinese hackers and Nigerian scammers have used stolen identities to plunder tens of billions of dollars in pandemic aid, officials say.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ea ... d-n1276789
Russian mobsters, Chinese hackers and Nigerian scammers have used stolen identities to plunder tens of billions of dollars in Covid benefits, spiriting the money overseas in a massive transfer of wealth from U.S. taxpayers, officials and experts say. And they say it is still happening.

Among the ripest targets for the cybertheft have been jobless programs. The federal government cannot say for sure how much of the more than $900 billion in pandemic-related unemployment relief has been stolen, but credible estimates range from $87 million to $400 billion — at least half of which went to foreign criminals, law enforcement officials say.

Those staggering sums dwarf, even on the low end, what the federal government spends every year on intelligence collection, food stamps or K-12 education.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:13 am
'Easy money': How international scam artists pulled off an epic theft of Covid benefits
Russian mobsters, Chinese hackers and Nigerian scammers have used stolen identities to plunder tens of billions of dollars in pandemic aid, officials say.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ea ... d-n1276789
Russian mobsters, Chinese hackers and Nigerian scammers have used stolen identities to plunder tens of billions of dollars in Covid benefits, spiriting the money overseas in a massive transfer of wealth from U.S. taxpayers, officials and experts say. And they say it is still happening.

Among the ripest targets for the cybertheft have been jobless programs. The federal government cannot say for sure how much of the more than $900 billion in pandemic-related unemployment relief has been stolen, but credible estimates range from $87 million to $400 billion — at least half of which went to foreign criminals, law enforcement officials say.

Those staggering sums dwarf, even on the low end, what the federal government spends every year on intelligence collection, food stamps or K-12 education.
It feels like it was designed that way, Dack.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The internet and computers have been awesome and has changed the way everything works now. It has been great for thieves too that know how to manipulate those things. In the past couple of years things like this scam, ransomware, identity theft, fake propaganda asking for money and scam calls claiming to be IRS etc. have really taken off. At this point in time I just assume everyone I come in contact with is trying to scam me.
It feels like it was designed that way, Dack.
You mean the software? Designed to allow hackers access? The Federal checks were just sent to everyone weren’t they? The States were the ones where you filed for unemployment and filled out the lengthy application updated weekly. I was on it for awhile. I had never filed for unemployment before but, since I was a gig worker and there were no gigs I signed up. They asked for 10-99’s from all my employers. I suppose each state did their own thing and hired their own software designers.

I think we as a country/world need to figure out how to secure our data. It sounds like hackers today can break into anything they want and there is almost nothing we can do about it. Change your 72 passwords often and never use the same one twice is very annoying. I have an app for my passwords with a password.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I have the setting on my phone set to send unrecognized phone calls straight to voicemail. I get about 3 calls a week about a fictional car warranty coming to an end.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I also get a lot of texts from people wanting to buy my home. They usually say my name and address in the text. 90% of the time the address and name are wrong. I just go to info and block that number.

“Your Netflix account will be locked because your payment was declined”

I don’t have Netflix.

“More Biden strings being pulled by his dark money donors- this time it is the teacher unions and the CDC "science" on school closings. Get the truth here> https://americansforpublictrust.org
-Americans for Public Trust”

“I'm Jim Lamon. I'm running for U.S. Senate in Arizona to stop the liberal insanity. Will you chip in Sue and join my campaign? http://act.gop/J