Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:02 pm
The death rate of Omicron in the US has been 0.3% of confirmed cases. Infections are usually estimated to be about three times confirmed cases (and the US has had an increase in at-home rapid testing which isn't reported plus difficulty obtaining tests in general, which probably makes it more than three times). So that is a 0.1% infection fatality rate at most, in the United States. In other words, the same estimate the CDC gives for influenza.
But it isn't a rate thing. You can't say "I am happy to let 0.1% of people die from XXX because that is the same rate as the flu" without saying "I am happy to let 10x the number of people die from XXX than the flu."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 am
Yeah, it is "don't tell me what to do" even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths.
Covid restrictions do not prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths: https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files ... tality.pdf

The only thing that could prevent deaths is China-style lockdowns. So if you are opposed to China-style lockdowns, then you are saying "'don't tell me what to do' even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths."
That 'meta' analysis conveniently only looked at lockdowns, instead of including the #1 mitigation strategy of vaccinations. Everyone knows that only doing a lockdown won't work, because too many people think their desires are more important than the health and safety of their neighbors.
If you are opposed to China-style lockdowns, then you think your desires are more important than the health and safety of your neighbors.
You continue to change your argument.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:40 am
Sarah Palin out and about in NYC, unvaccinated, known to be COVID-positive, maskless. Going to restaurants and other public places in defiance of local mandates.

How many times have you voted for this guy?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:35 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sarah Palin out and about in NYC, unvaccinated, known to be COVID-positive, maskless. Going to restaurants and other public places in defiance of local mandates.

Is that Gavin Newsom? Was he out in public maskless while known to be COVID-positive?

I absolutely think all these folks should be wearing their masks, and I'm happy to criticize Newsom, Abrams, etc. for not doing that. But there is a huge difference between doing that, and doing that WHILE KNOWING THAT YOU ACTIVELY HAVE COVID.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:01 pm
ShadowHawke wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:35 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Is that Gavin Newsom? Was he out in public maskless while known to be COVID-positive?

I absolutely think all these folks should be wearing their masks, and I'm happy to criticize Newsom, Abrams, etc. for not doing that. But there is a huge difference between doing that, and doing that WHILE KNOWING THAT YOU ACTIVELY HAVE COVID.
Agree. He's an ass for not wearing his mask but it pales in comparison. If that guy was knowingly Covid positive and in public without a mask, fuck him. I just saw that post about Palin and FUCK HER. What a POS.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

An interesting take on Covid, which touches on society and Rogan:

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Summary - besides having a higher age demographic (the strongest correlation), a lack of trust in government and lack of trust in fellow citizens helps explain the high rate of covid deaths in the USA.

The NYT article if you can't access it:

Spoiler: show/hide

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:22 pm
Summary - besides having a higher age demographic (the strongest correlation), a lack of trust in government and lack of trust in fellow citizens helps explain the high rate of covid deaths in the USA.

I posted that same Ezra Klein article and tweet thread one page back in this thread. :-)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thankfully we got Omicron and the death rate went way down. It’s just like the flu now. Since Omicron came on late November only 500,000 people have died of it.

The World Health Organization lamented Tuesday that half a million COVID-19 deaths had been recorded since the Omicron variant was discovered, calling the toll "beyond tragic".
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-02- ... -toll.html
Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's technical lead on COVID-19, said the sheer number of known Omicron cases was "astounding", while the true number would be much higher.

"It makes the previous peaks look almost flat," she said.

"We're still in the middle of this pandemic," she said. "Many countries have not passed their peak of Omicron yet."

Van Kerkhove said she was extremely concerned that the numbers of deaths had increased for several weeks in a row.

"This virus continues to be dangerous," she said.

The gift that keeps on giving.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:08 am
3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:22 pm

I posted that same Ezra Klein article and tweet thread one page back in this thread. :-)
The "not sure if it's been posted" disclaimer next time lol ..

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Some of the very peaceful protestors at the border got arrested:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was checking out the latest Covid stats. There was a massive spike in cases from Omicron and now it has subsided quite a bit. I checked out Covid deaths and they are still very high but, slowly subsiding.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans really love anti-mask bullying. Why not just let people do what they want? I thought this was about freedom and not being forced to do something you don't want to do.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Put this here in case it’s too political…

I’m all for the vaccine and think Kyrie was irresponsible for not getting it, but at this point what are we even doing? Why is this ok but Kyrie can’t play? Just let him play.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm betting the restrictions will be removed by the time playoff basketball starts.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I assume as much too

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah it is just stupid that you can attend the game and sit anywhere you want without the vaccine, but you can't play there without the vaccine.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:59 am
Yeah it is just stupid that you can attend the game and sit anywhere you want without the vaccine, but you can't play there without the vaccine.
I'm a COVID safety guy as much as anybody; I support the mandates and vaccination and distancing and masking and everything else. But it's dumb when it is done in such a way to make it inconsistent or completely useless. For example, why do restaurants have you wear a mask to be seated and then just take it off? What's the point? And yeah, why can't Kyrie play in the game but can be in the arena? I don't have a ton of sympathy for him since he's made the dumb decision not to get vaccinated, but still, the rules don't seem very consistent.