Democratic Convention

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Democratic Convention

Post by Nodack »

Same guy who thought telling me the score at the end of the Suns game I was watching delayed was a funny thing to do.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:02 pm
It’s an opinion piece. That seems to be 3/4 all articles today. Is it click bait? One could argue what isn’t? I think his point was he thinks the left is fawning all over itself in an Olympics to see who is the most oppressed in the US. I can sort of see his point. The Democratic party has positioned itself as the party fighting for the oppressed and everyone in the political hemisphere wants a piece of the pie. There are people that have been oppressed though and fighting for the cause is how you change things.

Things have gotten better for some people because of the attention brought from the free press and protest marches. Society’s acceptance of the LGBT crowd has increased ten fold in my lifetime. Blacks have made a lot of progress in my lifetime. Does that mean they are accepted by everyone or their work is done? No. Do all the different groups always get along? Of course not. We are all hypersensitive to everything now.

My brother in law staying with is is all over the map politically. Loves Trump and openly admits he’s a total lying cheating con man. He believes all of the conspiracy theories about everything and doesn’t trust the mainstream media. He believes two different types of aliens are running the country. Qanon is real. George Soros was behind 9/11. The CIA is running around spraying Covid at all large gatherings to infect people. The more outrageous the conspiracy, the more likely he will believe it. He said he went to a BLM event protesting against it. He says BLM is evil and worse than the KKK. They all hate white people. He says all lives matter, not just black lives. To him saying black lives matter means you are saying white lives don’t matter. I think the saying BLM is being used by the right for just that purpose. I wish they would have chose All Lives Matter as their slogan. You can’t reason with people like him.
Nice post - these are the people we're dealing with.

On social media in the UK today is stuff like this, that wokeism (an inaccurate but not incorrect proxy for being a Dem) is playing right into the R's hands:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden posts stunning monthly cash haul: $365 million
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... aul-407712
Joe Biden and the Democratic National Committee reported raising a record $365 million in August, surprising even seasoned party fundraisers and putting to rest fears that President Trump would drown him in campaign spending.

The staggering cash coincides with Biden naming Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate before the convention. It more than doubles Trump’s $165 million record, set in July, and also eclipses the $193 million raised by Barack Obama in September 2008. Trump has not yet announced his August numbers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

those are crazy numbers. I would be interested to see how many are from small donors.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People can’t afford food but we can donate a half a billion dollars to one campaign in one month?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:24 pm
People can’t afford food but we can donate a half a billion dollars to one campaign in one month?
Maybe not the same people. We have this thing called inequality.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
We badly need campaign finance reform in this country. Campaigns should be cheaper and shorter and should not suck this kind of money out of our system and out of the hands of our citizens.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

The lying, cheating Democrats ..

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 am
Nodack wrote:
We badly need campaign finance reform in this country. Campaigns should be cheaper and shorter and should not suck this kind of money out of our system and out of the hands of our citizens.
But then how can corporations continue to drive friendly legislation and buy members of the government?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, we absolutely need to get corporations, special interest groups, and NGOs completely out of the government.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

The only way you do that is by getting rid of political contributions, and I don't think that is possible without a constitutional amendment that needs to be approved by 2/3 of the states.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

When the politicians enrich themselves through those donations, it would never happen.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 am
When the politicians enrich themselves through those donations, it would never happen.
Yep, this exactly. We're hosed.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 am
Yep, this exactly. We're hosed.
How did all our congress people and senators become so rich on those relatively small salaries that those positions pay? (Rhetorical question of course.)
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A lot of them write books or go on speaking tours. Speaking tours after politics mean.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Or they get hired as "consultants" by the lobbying firms who donated to them all during their time in office. It's a racket. Part of reforming such things must be to ban them from working for lobbyists for N years (5?) after being in office.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think the subject was that they become rich while in office, not after being in office. Not saying that they don't also help themselves after being in office, just that it's disturbing to see them become rich while serving. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:21 am
I think the subject was that they become rich while in office, not after being in office. Not saying that they don't also help themselves after being in office, just that it's disturbing to see them become rich while serving. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I think both.

I read that Sinema's net worth in 2016 was 32,500, and now is just over a million. I mean a net worth of just over a million for a 45 year old is not where you hope to be if you want to retire, but it is miles ahead of millions of Americans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:57 am
In2ition wrote:
I think both.

I read that Sinema's net worth in 2016 was 32,500, and now is just over a million. I mean a net worth of just over a million for a 45 year old is not where you hope to be if you want to retire, but it is miles ahead of millions of Americans.
She definitely needs to get cracking, if she wants to retire in the lifestyle she intends to. 30x increase in wealth in 5 yrs says some good things about where she could be in the next 5 though, if she keeps up that rate.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:04 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:57 am
In2ition wrote:
I think both.

She definitely needs to get cracking, if she wants to retire in the lifestyle she intends to. 30x increase in wealth in 5 yrs says some good things about where she could be in the next 5 though, if she keeps up that rate.
She has 4 years left in her current term, so I am better she will do well for herself.