The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Mori Chu »

Uhhh... Note that In2 has shared tweets from this guy Jack Posobiec approvingly. In2, do you approve of this statement?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The full context seems to be missing. I don't agree with what he says in the clip, but it feels like a carefully edited cut to make it look bad. Posobiec can be an idiot too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What context would make that clip be okay?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk, that's a good question. I haven't looked for the full clip.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It sounds as if he was being a little sarcastic to me. It must have been in a church because all the glory went to God after that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It used to be embellish the truth to make your opponentlook as bad as possible. Not any more. Just make up whatever lies you want that make your opponent look bad and don’t even bother worrying about whether they are true or not.

Lies and dirty tricks: Texas Republicans are eating their own in this year’s primaries
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ar-BB1iMau7

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Awkward.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:27 pm
Awkward.

Could be something that happened, but this tweet is essentially repeating as fact something that was said as "gossip" and "rumor".

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2 ... r-00143336
"Rep. Matt Rosendale’s office is threatening legal action against former Sen. Heidi Heitkamp after she said on a podcast that he dropped out of the Senate race because he impregnated a staffer." ...

“I think [the GOP] caucus may lose a member in the next couple days,” Heitkamp alleged. “Just to gossip a little bit: There’s a reason why Rosendale backed out of that Senate race — the rumor is he impregnated a 20-year-old staff person.”
Just another reminder that Twitter should be seen as exactly what it generally is: a collection of unvetted opinions that may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And 90% of the political posts trying to prove points here are Twitter posts by people I have never heard of. For some reason they think putting BREAKING NEWS before their posts gives them credibility. Twitter posts citing an actual mainstream newspaper but, they don’t give a link to the article they are supposedly quoting, so you can’t check. There might even be an article somewhere. It probably doesn’t quite say what the X post says it says. That’s why no link.

People say the mainstream media is fake. It may be slanted one way or the other but intentionally lying can cost hundreds of millions in fines. Ask FOX. When I see 8 different mainstream articles say the same thing, I am pretty sure it’s not fake. When I see 8 different X post with each one breaking a different scandal written by 8 different people that I have never heard of and none of these stories makes it to any mainstream site I give them much less credibility.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You are right; thanks for correcting me. It sounds like the notion that he impregnated a staffer is a rumor, spoken by an ex-senator but not proven true by evidence at this time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 am
And 90% of the political posts trying to prove points here are Twitter posts by people I have never heard of. For some reason they think putting BREAKING NEWS before their posts gives them credibility. Twitter posts citing an actual mainstream newspaper but, they don’t give a link to the article they are supposedly quoting, so you can’t check. There might even be an article somewhere. It probably doesn’t quite say what the X post says it says. That’s why no link.

People say the mainstream media is fake. It may be slanted one way or the other but intentionally lying can cost hundreds of millions in fines. Ask FOX. When I see 8 different mainstream articles say the same thing, I am pretty sure it’s not fake. When I see 8 different X post with each one breaking a different scandal written by 8 different people that I have never heard of and none of these stories makes it to any mainstream site I give them much less credibility.
So these are definitely examples of how reinforcement is what convinces you it's true? Here are different news medias around the country telling you the same thing. So, appeal to authority & repeated message by them is convincing...hmmm. I can see that words that are repeated over and over by your "trusted sources" are comforting for you, like "baseless", "democracy", "dictator", "fascist", "domestic terrorist", "safe & effective", and other buzz words of the day. Maybe if you are mindful of the buzzwords that are being used each day, you will see it for what it is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do you not know that there are large companies that own many of the country's local TV news stations? They send out these mandatory reads to their stations and every station reads them. You post this video with them superimposed like it's some kind of ... dare I say it ... CoNsPiRaCy or something, but they're just given notes to read by their parent company. It happens all the time. Go Google Sinclair Media if you want to learn more about one big example.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have my own BS meter built in and sometimes it pegs the needle when I read.

MSNBC - There is a hurricane in Florida
CNN- There is a hurricane in Florida
BBC- There is a hurricane in Florida
CBS- There is a hurricane in Florida
NPR- There is a hurricane in Florida
USA Today- There is a hurricane in Florida
Nodack- There must be a hurricane in Florida
Maganews- It’s all fake!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Also, In2, that middle tweet is not a very good example of what you're trying to prove, since they are all simply quoting an expert (Michael Osterholm) who said "viral blizzard."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not disputing that large companies can own many of the country's local TV news stations, and they sent out mandatory reads. There are other examples of using buzzwords over and over. Have you ever heard of Operation Mockingbird? It's not a CoNsPiRaCy or something.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:26 pm
I have my own BS meter built in and sometimes it pegs the needle when I read.

MSNBC - There is a hurricane in Florida
CNN- There is a hurricane in Florida
BBC- There is a hurricane in Florida
CBS- There is a hurricane in Florida
NPR- There is a hurricane in Florida
USA Today- There is a hurricane in Florida
Nodack- There must be a hurricane in Florida
Maganews- It’s all fake!
This is a disingenuous example, but the tone and intent is recognized and expected from the poster named Nodack.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You are welcome.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:51 am
Do you not know that there are large companies that own many of the country's local TV news stations? They send out these mandatory reads to their stations and every station reads them. You post this video with them superimposed like it's some kind of ... dare I say it ... CoNsPiRaCy or something, but they're just given notes to read by their parent company. It happens all the time. Go Google Sinclair Media if you want to learn more about one big example.
Yep, John Oliver makes fun of these often on his show.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Large companies own much of everything and they keep merging to become larger companies that keep swallowing smaller companies. Amazon, Walmart, Guitar Center, iHeart radio, airlines, hotel chains, even RV parks.

The Federal Trade Commission on Monday sued to block the $25 billion deal between Kroger and Albertsons, alleging the largest supermarket merger in US history would lead to higher prices, store closures and job losses.