Sports and Politics/Social Change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Drewsprocket

Re: Sports and Politics/Social Change

Post by Drewsprocket »

I think we can all agree that most people probably fail a purity test when it comes to stupid things we say or have done. But Sarver rises to the level of being being gross and offensive to others that doesn’t really seem debatable and its affected people’s employment, quality of their lives, and tarnishes the Suns franchise. Playing a victim in his own defense isn’t going to help anything. I just hope he vanishes from public view.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:50 pm
I can understand asking them what's the hold up and pressuring to complete the investigation but how can you just ask that Sarver be removed as owner without due process. Last I checked, we don't do that here in America.
They can do that if they want. The NBA board of governors can pretty much do whatever they want. They have the authority, and the power because of the deals they have made to operate as a monopoly. There is no requirement for criminal proceedings or even guilty verdicts.

I guess that all depends on how specific the language is in the contract Bob has.
Being an owner of a sports franchise comes with managing the weight of public perception, media attention, and criticism of your performance of not just your team’s success but how you conduct business. It’s strange how people debate this into the ground. Or they attach their negative views of accountability in light of personal misconduct. Many jobs understandably can be lost over misconduct. I do believe in restorative justice and bringing people into the fold but it just doesn’t need to apply to positions of power or the privilege of being a sports owner.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I can understand asking them what's the hold up and pressuring to complete the investigation but how can you just ask that Sarver be removed as owner without due process. Last I checked, we don't do that here in America.
They can do that if they want. The NBA board of governors can pretty much do whatever they want. They have the authority, and the power because of the deals they have made to operate as a monopoly. There is no requirement for criminal proceedings or even guilty verdicts.

I guess that all depends on how specific the language is in the contract Bob has.
They could but they're not. They've had a full scale investigation on going. They're supposed to stop and just kick him out due to outside pressure?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

They could but they're not. They've had a full scale investigation on going. They're supposed to stop and just kick him out due to outside pressure?
I wasn't arguing they should. I was just responding to you saying they couldn't without due process.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I wasn't arguing they should. I was just responding to you saying they couldn't without due process.
I never argued that they couldn't. Just that they shouldn't.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They haven’t.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’d hoped they wouldn’t.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Column: Amid increasing abuse, officials flee youth sports
https://apnews.com/article/covid-sports ... f5981dc576
ATLANTA (AP) — When one looks at the ugly bruise encircling Kristi Moore’s left eye, it’s not surprising so many refs and umps are hanging up their stripes.

Why put up with incessant taunts and threats from out-of-control parents?

Why fret over potential violence — even the chance of losing your life — because someone thinks you blew a call at a 12-year-olds’ softball game?

America is facing a crisis in prep and youth sports, where fewer and fewer people are willing to take on the thankless job of officiating games.

“The veterans are quitting by the droves. They’re sick of it,” said Moore, who oversees fast-pitch softball umpires for the state of Mississippi as well as the city of Laurel. “When we work to recruit new people, get ’em trained, get ’em out there on the field, they’re three or four games in when someone gives them a good cussing out or an invitation to get their tail beat. They’re like: ‘You know what? I’ll go cut grass on the weekend.’”

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure I can think of a job that gets more hate from irrational 'tough' guys than youth sports ref. Such a thankless job.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No religion thread so…

Atheists remain most disliked religious minority in the U.S.
https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-events ... inority-us
The findings of this most recent survey support the argument that atheists are persistent cultural outsiders in the United States because they are perceived to have rejected cultural values and practices understood as essential to private morality, civic virtue, and national identity. Moreover, any refusal to embrace a religious identity of any type is troubling for a large portion of Americans.

Forty percent of Americans view the non-religious--atheist, agnostic, no-religion, and spiritual-but-not-religious--as problematic, even though 33 percent of the survey respondents identify with those categories.

By the numbers, researchers found that:

40% of Americans disapprove of non-religion
33% of respondents fall into a broad “religious nones” category: 3.8% as atheist, 3.5% as agnostic, 7.1 % as “spiritual but not religious,” and 18.5% as “nothing in particular.”
27% of Americans say that atheists “don't share my morals or values.”
Comparing the “religious nones,” respondents had less negative views of people who say they have no religion, and feel more positively about those who are “spiritual but not religious.”

These attitudes are strongly driven by a belief that religiosity is central for civic virtue, that societal standards of right and wrong should be rooted in historic religious traditions, and that Christianity underpins American identity.

Some measures of the respondents’ attitudes show that Muslim-Americans are as distrusted, and in some cases more distrusted, than the non-religious.

Lol is all I have to say.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article eviscerating the now-deceased Bobby Knight is a great read.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He and Trump could have been great friends.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He was such a a happy, even keeled guy (NSFW; has a Halloween-like jump scare):

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:08 pm
He and Trump could have been great friends.
They were. He was an early vocal Trump supporter, and the two became friends.
However, in recent years, it's Knight's friendship with Donald Trump that has caused controversy. In 2016, the sportsman endorsed the business mogul during his presidential run, with the pair connecting through a mutual friend.

"I just told him I thought that we needed him," Knight told Time Magazine in 2016.

"That right now, in this moment in time, he was the man who should be in charge. He should be the guy that can get us back to where we want to be."

"He looks at things, and everything isn't going to go right. But he's pretty good at looking at things and deciding what has to be done, and then getting it done."

In 2018, Knight joined Trump once again on the campaign trail for the midterm elections. The former coach led the crowd as they chanted "Go get 'em" at Trump and referred to the then-president as "a great defender of the United States of America."

Trump lavished praise on Knight in return, calling him a "a tough cookie" and describing their friendship as a "great romance."

After news of Knight's passing broke, Trump took to the social network Truth Social to pay tribute to his friend.

"The World just lost an incredible person, the Great Bobby Knight," the 77-year-old wrote.

"He was not just an award-winning and record-breaking coach. He was loyal to his Players, to his State, and to our Country. Tough as nails, but a big heart."
https://www.newsweek.com/what-bobby-kni ... mp-1840145

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Kindred spirits.
"Be Legendary."