VOTE!

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: VOTE!

Post by 3rdside »

Cap wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:36 pm
3rdside wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:23 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:08 am
That's been known. He needs to stay in power to keep from being prosecuted by NY State. I'm pretty sure there are sealed indictments waiting for him. Biden and the Dems claim to have an army of lawyers ready for any tricks Trump, Barr and the GOP may try and pull but I'm still skeptical. They'll think of something, Trump's already said he's taking it to the SC if he loses and just yesterday he claimed there wasn't a peaceful transition in 2016 because his campaign was spied on, etc so why should he peacefully transfer power this time.

Here's one article

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... t-election
Cheers - I said a while back I believe USA will get it done (getting rid of Trump) but it wasn't a confident prediction. I still think that's the case but I'm still not confident saying that. Trump's whole life has been about gaming the system so there's no one who'll be better prepared for trying to screw this end game.
It’s a Xanatos Gambit. Even if he loses, he wins. Even if he is ultimately forced from office and indicted, worst case scenario for him is he ends up living the high life in Moscow where he delivers 40% of American minds to Putin. The greatest leader in American history, framed for crimes by a deep state conspiracy and forced to flee the country. The Democratic usurper who rigged the election is in the White House. Putin and Trump are your last chance to take down Biden before he destroys America. And a huge chunk of America, including many elected officials in Washington, will buy that hook, line and sinker.

Even in the best case scenario, we’re in for some shitty times. This is a new kind of warfare, and we don’t know how to fight it.
That's the issue isn't it, that Trumpism is here to stay.

Which ties in with what I've been talking about with some politically minded buds, that it may even be better that Trump wins as the possibly inevitable USA sh*tshow that's coming can at least then be pinned on it.

If the D's win and that sh*tshow unfolds then hello future president Tucker Carlson, Dan Crenshaw etc.

I don't really believe that, for me the D's need to win as the only viable means to USA solving it's bigger issues (with critical thinking classes inserted into the school and university curriculum asap as a good start).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Trump wins he will be able to finish off any checks on his power and the GOP’s power. They already made the Donald Trump Jr’s posters. My guess is he would be a shoe in at that point with 87% of the votes good for eight years and then maybe Ivanka could become the first woman President for another eight. By then Bannon will be old enough.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The only way to reverse course here is for elected officials from both parties to put money and power aside and acknowledge things are out of control- that lies, misinformation, foreign interference and false accusations are running rampant and destroying this country. We need a "coming to God" moment where even the networks admit their mishandling of news and commit to being better and uniting people instead of creating division, hate, outrage for profits. Maybe it's too late for all of that but I think that's what it would take. Responsible leaders from both parties facing the nation and putting it all out there, grabbing the old, power hungry elected officials by the neck and throwing them out of Washington.

Good luck with that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thoughts from people like Mary Trump, John Bolton, Woodward on Trump....some scary stuff and nothing I would say is hyperbole.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... nald-trump

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not only has Trump appointed his third lackey to the Supreme Court, but now one of them is already pulling some radical ruling bullshit to prep for an election.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Yeah ... Trump, Covid and RBG’s death are the exact unpredictables that lead to empires crumbling.

Having read that I only fear the worst, unless someone thinks a Biden landslide will be abided by.

It surely won’t be.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

At this stage I can’t tell how much my anxiety is being determined by facts vs my general twitter feeling, which comprises a good 75% liberal / progressive / Dem / anti-Brexit leaners.

The lesson from the last US and UK elections is do not believe your Twitter feeling if you’re a liberal.

Cap

Post by Cap »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Yeah ... Trump, Covid and RBG’s death are the exact unpredictables that lead to empires crumbling.

Having read that I only fear the worst, unless someone thinks a Biden landslide will be abided by.

It surely won’t be.
Certainly not in Arizona. It was sad casting my ballot knowing that if we vote for Biden, and we turn out to be the difference in the EC, the legislature will simply overrule us.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I finally received my absentee ballot yesterday and express mailed it to my county at a cost of roughly $22.

I wouldn't have cared if it were $220 even though my official residence is in a deep blue county.

Whether or not it'll get to the elections office within the next week is another question.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:34 pm
At this stage I can’t tell how much my anxiety is being determined by facts vs my general twitter feeling, which comprises a good 75% liberal / progressive / Dem / anti-Brexit leaners.

The lesson from the last US and UK elections is do not believe your Twitter feeling if you’re a liberal.
To clarify - do not believe Twitter if you're a liberal looking for a favourable result.

Twitter is telling me yesterday it's Biden in a landslide, don't be ridiculous thinking any other way, today it's Trump and Barrett and SC going to contest all the way to victory.

I can't see how it won't involve at least some part of the latter..

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:51 pm
I finally received my absentee ballot yesterday and express mailed it to my county at a cost of roughly $22.

I wouldn't have cared if it were $220 even though my official residence is in a deep blue county.

Whether or not it'll get to the elections office within the next week is another question.
In AZ you can check to see if your ballot was received and counted or not online.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Fox News COVID Infection Sends Election Plans Into ‘Chaos’
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news- ... into-chaos
On Sunday, The New York Times reported that top Fox News executives and talent will quarantine and get tested after flying on a network-chartered flight from Nashville to New York—following Thursday night’s presidential debate—with a staffer who later tested positive for the coronavirus. Passengers included network president Jay Wallace and on-air political hosts and analysts like Bret Baier, Martha MacCallum, Dana Perino, and Juan Williams. (A Fox News spokesperson would not confirm the Times story or the exposure, citing employee confidentiality.)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From a few things I've seen and read now, it seems like Trump is trying to already declare victory or at least control the election narrative with "victory rallies" and tweeting out his own polling numbers that he's up in certain swing states where most other polls have Biden ahead. It's typical for him, in a way, where he just says whatever he wants, then attacks anyone who challenges him and says he has his own info and everyone else is wrong, fake news, or lying. It's how he sows doubt, chaos and confusion. "How could I lose Michigan to Joe Biden by 8 points when X and Y polls had me up by 3". Then he'll take it to the courts that the GOP has packed and controls.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 am
Fox News COVID Infection Sends Election Plans Into ‘Chaos’
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news- ... into-chaos
On Sunday, The New York Times reported that top Fox News executives and talent will quarantine and get tested after flying on a network-chartered flight from Nashville to New York—following Thursday night’s presidential debate—with a staffer who later tested positive for the coronavirus. Passengers included network president Jay Wallace and on-air political hosts and analysts like Bret Baier, Martha MacCallum, Dana Perino, and Juan Williams. (A Fox News spokesperson would not confirm the Times story or the exposure, citing employee confidentiality.)
But it's just a hoax!
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

I have thought that there was a good chance trump would lose the election until just the last few days. Now, I am starting to feel anxious. I can't believe this is even a question right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:38 pm
I have thought that there was a good chance trump would lose the election until just the last few days. Now, I am starting to feel anxious. I can't believe this is even a question right now.
I personally feel pretty good about it but I agree that we can't relax until it's over. Vote, and encourage others to, like your lives and our American democratic way of life, depends on it as it just might.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I worry that the minute the EC gets close on election day the Supreme Court (Trump) will stop votes from being counted.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It is crazy that we are on the verge of falling into autocracy and roughly 40% of the country is excitedly encouraging and voting for it. We have deep wounds that will not heal immediately after Nov 3.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And that 40% consider themselves "patriots" and "real Americans".