2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

Trump is discussing Martial Law in the oval office. Are you fucking kidding me?! In2ition and others, how can anyone claim Hillary Clinton or Democrats acted anywhere near this insane when they lost the election to Trump? How is any of this at all same?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... nd/617446/

Get this POS out of office. ASAP. He hasn't been doing anything as the President of this country, for this country, since just before the election. He continues to put our country at risk by doing NOTHING required of a President during these times. Major hacks from Russia hitting us hard, the pandemic getting worse, issues left and right with vaccine distributions all over the country. And where is our leader? Where is the POTUS?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Trump is discussing Martial Law in the oval office. Are you fucking kidding me?! In2ition and others, how can anyone claim Hillary Clinton or Democrats acted anywhere near this insane when they lost the election to Trump? How is any of this at all same?

Get this POS out of office. ASAP. He hasn't been doing anything as the President of this country, for this country, since just before the election. He continues to put our country at risk by doing NOTHING required of a President during these times. Major hacks from Russia hitting us hard, the pandemic getting worse, issues left and right with vaccine distributions all over the country. And where is our leader? Where is the POTUS?
Wait, didn't Jill Stein get recounts in the 2016 election, and then Trump was getting more of those votes turned in his favor, so they shut that down quick? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... est-denied

There are a lot of people that believe that the election was rigged in 2016 in favor of Hillary, but they underestimated Trump and didn't cheat enough. This was why Hillary was so upset on election night, because it was guaranteed for her and it didn't work out. The DHS tried to go into the machines(there was a report that the IP address of some hacking the machines came from the DHS) to change the results and someone else cut off their access. https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/homelan ... eport.html

Sounds like the NYT is only speculating that they are talking about Martial Law, since they didn't have a reporter in the meeting. Take it for whatever it's worth, but Trump said that's fake news.

Last edited by In2ition on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:53 am
And as crazy as it sounds I am not ruling out a military coup attempt by Trump. He has been putting unqualified yes people in key places of the Pentagon. Flynn was talking about it and Trump was arguing in the WH with other staff about declaring martial law. What is the punishment for a failed coup attempt?
If the election was actually rigged, it's not a coup attempt. Are you sure that Trump and Flynn were talking about declaring Martial Law?
You could argue that he was getting bad actors and deep staters out of key places in the Pentagon.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:05 pm

AMen AIG...SOOOO sick of his crap!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Guys, your posts and patiently articulated and well sourced arguments are nice and all. But here's one tweet from a single random user named @CoolPatriotMAGA247 that calls everything into question. Checkmate, libTARDS.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm
Nodack wrote:
And as crazy as it sounds I am not ruling out a military coup attempt by Trump. He has been putting unqualified yes people in key places of the Pentagon. Flynn was talking about it and Trump was arguing in the WH with other staff about declaring martial law. What is the punishment for a failed coup attempt?
If the election was actually rigged, it's not a coup attempt. Are you sure that Trump and Flynn were talking about declaring Martial Law?
You could argue that he was getting bad actors and deep staters out of key places in the Pentagon.
What is a 'deep stater'?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm
Nodack wrote:
If the election wasn't riggged, as proven over and over again, then it is a coup and you're more willing to believe a lying, cheating, grifter over hundreds, if not thousands, of election officials, professionals, experts, conservatives and Republicans? You're willing to put your faith in the character and truthfulness of Donald Trump? Trump wants people loyal to him, not the nation. So when people work for the good of the nation and not the good of Donald Trump, they're "bad actors" and "deep staters".

And if there's one thing about this admin, where there's smoke there's fire. And when there's a leak, they just deny it and call it fake news but then it ends up being true. Flynn and Roger Stone have called for Trump to use the military. I'm willing to believe those conversations have happened with him.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mike Flynn went on tv talking about the military rerunning the elections in states and declaring Marshal Law. The very next day Trump invites him to the WH and it is reported by numerous sources that they did in fact talk about declaring Marshal Law, which led to a large argument within the Trump staff present. Trump calls it fake. He calls everything and everyone fake.

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-flynn- ... at-1551769

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn—controversially pardoned by President Donald Trump last week—on Tuesday retweeted a call for the White House to declare martial law and re-run last month's presidential election.

The appeal—made by the Ohio non-profit We The People Convention in a Washington Times advert Tuesday—urged the president to declare "limited martial law" in order to hold a new election.

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael ... aw-2020-12

Trump's former national security advisor shared a message asking the president to suspend the Constitution, impose martial law, and hold a new election

Lawyers Condemn Michael Flynn and Lin Wood’s ‘Breathtakingly Morally Treasonous’ Call for Trump to Declare Martial Law and Hold New Election
https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/l ... -election/

Trump's talk of martial law sends White House staffers rushing to the press
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/20/media/st ... index.html

Trump raised the idea of imposing martial law to overturn the election in a White House meeting, according to reports
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-t ... ts-2020-12

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Trump says it's fake, it's fake! C'mon guys. You can trust this President.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mean, why is there any debate about this stuff? Trump hasn't ACTUALLY successfully declared martial law yet. He just had a meeting to *discuss* declaring martial law! He didn't seize voting machines with no evidence, he just ordered it done and was mad that it hasn't happened! He hasn't refused to leave office, he has just had meetings about not leaving office! Totally different! Typical hysterical libcucks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article by Tom Nichols sums up how I feel pretty well.
The Trump loyalists who still cling to conspiracy theories and who remain part of a cult of personality should be deprived of the attention they seek, shunned for their antidemocratic lunacy, and then outvoted at the ballot box.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/617449/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 pm
The Trump loyalists who still cling to conspiracy theories and who remain part of a cult of personality should be deprived of the attention they seek, shunned for their antidemocratic lunacy, and then outvoted at the ballot box.
Yeah, I'm no longer engaging with those types. It's not worth it and you aren't going to convince them of anything. There is no reaching those people.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 pm
Agreed.

So while I applaud our effort engaging the unfortunately-misguided on this board in a civilised manner on one hand, I don’t applaud our effort engaging the unfortunately-misguided on this board in a civilised manner on the other, not least as it’s unlikely to come to anything.

Is that patronising? Probably, but when you can’t appeal to reason what options are left ..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All of them airing disclaimers basically saying everything they have been reporting is BS. But it must be fake and forced on them, by the extra deep state and China and stuff somehow...

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I suppose I should probably throw in a counter balance to my patronising (apologies there..) and add this - there are a number of credible people out there who believe the number one issue facing the USA isn't Trump (and his climate change, corporate greed, inequality and corrupt stances), it's wokeism.

They recognise Trump isn't a great president but vs Biden it is only him who will stand up to it, while wokeism and the far left will ultimately take over Biden and the Democrats and ruin America.

Guys like the very credible academic James Lindsay; his view is Trump is short term pain but long term stability with wokeism stamped out vs Biden's short term stability vs long term pain with wokeism running riot.

His thoughts here:

I don't agree with his priorities for all reasons I've railed against Trump and would add that wokeism (or illiberal liberalism), while more of a left issue, is a relatively recent phenomenon that shouldn't be seen through a left vs right lens but through a logical vs illogical lens instead .. Illiberal liberalism doesn't make sense and if something doesn't make sense, our science and reason-evolved world should see off - the D’s are capable enough there to do that I’m sure.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 pm
I suppose I should probably throw in a counter balance to my patronising (apologies there..) and add this - there are a number of credible people out there who believe the number one issue facing the USA isn't Trump (and his climate change, corporate greed, inequality and corrupt stances), it's wokeism.

They recognise Trump isn't a great president but vs Biden it is only him who will stand up to it, while wokeism and the far left will ultimately take over Biden and the Democrats and ruin America.

Guys like the very credible academic James Lindsay; his view is Trump is short term pain but long term stability with wokeism stamped out vs Biden's short term stability vs long term pain with wokeism running riot.

His thoughts here:

I don't agree with his priorities for all reasons I've railed against Trump and would add that wokeism (or illiberal liberalism), while more of a left issue, is a relatively recent phenomenon that shouldn't be seen through a left vs right lens but through a logical vs illogical lens instead .. Illiberal liberalism doesn't make sense and if something doesn't make sense, our science and reason-evolved world should see off - the D’s are capable enough there to do that I’m sure.
Is wokeism a thing? Or just something being thrown out there? Isn't woke just slang for "very much aware of an issue" that young kids use? Sounds like this is just saying the biggest threat is young people feeling aware of something. Unless I'm just not getting wokeism.

Edit: According to Wikipedia:

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a political term originating in the United States referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.[1] It derives from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

First used in the 1940s, the term has resurfaced in recent years as a concept that symbolizes perceived awareness of social issues and movement. By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term broadly associated with left-wing politics, social justice activism and progressive or socially liberal causes such as anti-racism, LGBT rights, feminism and environmentalism (with the terms woke culture, woke politics and woke left also being used). It has also been the subject of memes, ironic usage and criticism for its methods and consequences.[2][3] Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter movement.[1][4]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sure, one political party is participating in sedition and plotting to overturn the results of a free and fair election to install a dictator against the will of the people. But the REAL problem is that the other party sometimes gets offended when you do racism at them.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am
3rdside wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 pm

His thoughts here:

Is wokeism a thing? Or just something being thrown out there? Isn't woke just slang for "very much aware of an issue" that young kids use? Sounds like this is just saying the biggest threat is young people feeling aware of something. Unless I'm just not getting wokeism.

Edit: According to Wikipedia:

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a political term originating in the United States referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.[1] It derives from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

First used in the 1940s, the term has resurfaced in recent years as a concept that symbolizes perceived awareness of social issues and movement. By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term broadly associated with left-wing politics, social justice activism and progressive or socially liberal causes such as anti-racism, LGBT rights, feminism and environmentalism (with the terms woke culture, woke politics and woke left also being used). It has also been the subject of memes, ironic usage and criticism for its methods and consequences.[2][3] Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter movement.[1][4]
Wokeism / wokeness is definitely a thing - originally it was a good thing (to be woke; liberal, socially aware or something like that, to be socially awake; like “he woke up” ) but has morphed into a sinister term; Illiberal liberal (I’m so open minded I’ll kill you / cancel you for not having the same open minded views as I do).

It’s effectively left wing fascism.

I brought it up on this board a few months ago citing people like Piers Morgan and his new book ‘Wake Up’, and The Times journalist and author Matthew Syed.

James Lindsay is a left wing academic by the way which gives some idea how much he knows it’s a thing by openly saying he’s voting for fascist, right wing Trump.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:33 pm
Sure, one political party is participating in sedition and plotting to overturn the results of a free and fair election to install a dictator against the will of the people. But the REAL problem is that the other party sometimes gets offended when you do racism at them.
I don’t disagree as mentioned, but I suspect you’re underestimating the problem of wokeness in the world today - and it’s not just racism, it’s many ism’s (sexism, ageism, homophobia etc etc).

These ‘very credible people’ writing and speaking extensively about it - James Lindsay, Piers Morgan, Matthew Syed to name a few - is the case in point.