Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:22 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:53 am
Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:52 am
This discussion is way above my pay grade. My IQ is too low.
Yeah. My tiny head can't wrap my tiny arms around all of this. I should ask my fathead brother to make sense of it for me.
LOL. I wanted to say that I've known a few guys with huge heads, but clearly was made with a very thick skull and little brains. I always thought that the correlation of big heads and high IQ was more of a joke than anything. I guess I never took it seriously.
same

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A Blue whale has a huge head. It should be the smartest creature on the planet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:25 am
A Blue whale has a huge head. It should be the smartest creature on the planet.
It very well might be.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Does a blue whale have a big brain? They may be.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I had read something a couple yrs ago that said that dolphins have larger brains than humans. They certainly seem awfully smart. Have you seen their coordinated hunts? Unbelievable.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah dolphin brains are pretty similar to humans, and much bigger. They can do some amazing things.

Does every animal just assume they are the smartest animal?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:59 am
3rdside wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 pm
You don’t understand correlation, apparently just like a lot of things the bubble you reside in doesn’t let you understand either.
Hey Indy, what do you do for a living, again?
I am a biomedical engineer by education and training, and spent the first 10 years or so doing statistical studies like gage R&Rs and DOEs.
Thought you had some stats background. But apparently none in CORRELATION, lololol.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:39 am
I haven't talked...err communicated successfully with dolphins or whales, although I've tried, to find that answer out. I assume that you are right.
I haven't talked...err communicated successfully with dolphins or whales, although I've tried, to find that answer out. I assume that you are right.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
3rdside wrote:
You don’t understand correlation, apparently just like a lot of things the bubble you reside in doesn’t let you understand either.
I am a biomedical engineer by education and training, and spent the first 10 years or so doing statistical studies like gage R&Rs and DOEs.
I use Excel to make bar graphs. Hold my beer Indy.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
3rdside wrote:
I use Excel to make bar graphs. Hold my beer Indy.
I don't think I have used Minitab or MATLAB in a decade, so I am right there with you now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Another rando tweeting stuff.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Civiqs is a decent polling org. fivethirtyeight does a good job of collecting all the polls and displaying them over time, including compared to previous administrations. I think this month is the first month that Biden is at Trump's level.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, Biden's approval numbers are bad; nobody here is arguing differently. It's partly COVID, partly the inability of the Dems to pass most of their core legislation due to filibuster / Manchinema, and partly perceptions (mostly untrue, IMO) that the economy is bad. Tough circumstances for a POTUS to be broadly popular. Long way to go until the midterms, though, and even longer till 2024.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't care. He's an infinitely better human being.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I agree.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Who else is carrying water for this administration? Is this state run news now? Remind me, did the gas prices just start rising?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a graph of gas prices in recent years.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafH ... us_dpg&f=m

The thing is, the world is very rapidly running out of gas / petroleum. We can cry and moan about gas prices rising, but the cold fact remains that gas prices are never going to be this cheap ever again in our lifetimes. In 5 years, they'll be much higher. In 10 years, stunningly higher. In 20-30 years, will we even be able to buy gas? That's where we are headed. And it isn't especially Joe Biden or Donald Trump's fault; that's just the fact of the matter.

You can get mad at a US President for gas prices going up, but any attempt to keep them low is just a temporary offset. We can't stop the fundamental fact that the resource itself is rapidly running out.

We need to get ahead of the problem by investing heavily in alternative sources of energy and fuel so that the inevitable crisis will hit us less hard.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not saying that it's an infinite source. That's a silly argument position and silly to paint anyone with that view. I just heard this morning that SA has enough for the next 30 yrs, but if they are forced to increase their production, it will be down to 15 yrs.

How about in 5 weeks? How high is it going to be? How high are gas prices going to be in 5 months?

Yes, you can absolutely blame a US President that immediately did things to increase the price of gas. You can blame a President for taking us from Oil independent to Oil dependent immediately, because he's a doofus. This has been debated and is pretty obvious since early '21.

Are we going to go back to $1 a gallon like we had in the early to mid 90's? I don't believe we'll see that again unless something fundamentally changes that we can't see.

There was no reason to shutdown our production to invest heavily in alternative sources of energy. They are not mutually exclusive.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:08 am
Who else is carrying water for this administration? Is this state run news now? Remind me, did the gas prices just start rising?

You don't think it could be because of all of those reasons or a combination of them? I'm not sure where the "big lie" is here?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am
In2ition wrote:

You don't think it could be because of all of those reasons or a combination of them? I'm not sure where the "big lie" is here?
The lie here is that they are making the reason for current prices Ukraine, when it's been high since he came into office, made things immediately worse and before the supply line problems. It's not because of Ukraine. Maybe forward, it could be argued that they raised the prices due to sanctions.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:05 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am
In2ition wrote:

The lie here is that they are making the reason for current prices Ukraine, when it's been high since he came into office, made things immediately worse and before the supply line problems. It's not because of Ukraine. Maybe forward, it could be argued that they raised the prices due to sanctions.
I think it's fair to say it's a combination of all the things you shared. Ukraine is the 2nd largest country in Europe behind Russia. Look, if you or I or anyone here are going to get our news solely from CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc., and call it a day, that's on you or me for being a sucker. I learned long ago that the news is a talking mouthpiece for the government and corporations. We can all post links day in, day out ripping the headline or the content, but it doesn't change anything. Let's talk about the issues instead of using the crutch of Twitter to talk on our behalf. That applies to all of us here. I don't even frequent Politics as much these days because it's a pissing match around here where folks debate and shred the headline or the source instead of providing their opinion shaped around a myriad of sources.