2024 Election

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: 2024 Election

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:46 pm
Trump promised Mexico would pay for the wall 79474868673 times. Then he won, Republicans won the House and the Senate. Republicans could pass anything they wanted. They passed a massive tax break that mostly went to the super filthy rich people. Then Republicans in Washington said no to Trumps wall.

Trump promised to repeal Obamacare. He didn’t.

Trump promise he would zero the national debt by the time he left office. He didn’t.

He promised he would end violence in our inner cities. All he did was insult them after he was elected.
Why does this lie keep getting repeated?

IRS data proves Trump tax cuts benefited middle, working-class Americans most
BY JUSTIN HASKINS, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 12/04/21 8:00 AM ET
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/584 ... cans-most/

President Biden and congressional Democrats’ Build Back Better (BBB) Act is now in the hands of the Senate. That legislative body’s 50-50 partisan split will undoubtedly make the bill’s passage difficult.

In order for BBB to become law, Democratic Senate leadership will need to convince moderates such as Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) that the legislation’s $2.4 trillion price tag can be offset by expanding the IRS and its enforcement efforts while imposing substantial tax reform measures.

Congressional Democrats have argued that one of the best ways to pay for the legislation is to raise taxes on wealthy households, which, according to many on the left, have benefited disproportionately and unfairly from the 2017 tax reform law passed by Republicans and signed by former President Trump. The latest data, however, proves that this claim is pure mythology.

Income data published by the IRS clearly show that on average all income brackets benefited substantially from the Republicans’ tax reform law, with the biggest beneficiaries being working and middle-income filers, not the top 1 percent, as so many Democrats have argued.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This an opinion piece. Top of the article-

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY CONTRIBUTORS ARE THEIR OWN AND NOT THE VIEW OF THE HILL

Who benefited most from the trump tax cuts?

Middle-class Americans saw mixed results as most of the benefits accrued to the highest earners.
https://www.policygenius.com/taxes/who- ... -jobs-act/
The 2017 Trump Tax Law Was Skewed to the Rich, Expensive, and Failed to Deliver on Its Promises
Fundamentally Flawed 2017 Tax Law Largely Leaves Low- and Moderate-Income Americans Behind
2017 tax reform law benefits who the most
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-t ... to-deliver

Middle-class Americans saw mixed results as most of the benefits accrued to the highest earners.

The TCJA 2 Years Later: Corporations, Not Workers, Are the Big Winners
https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... g-winners/

Did the 2017 tax cut—the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act—pay for itself?
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/did- ... or-itself/
The TCJA did not pay for itself, nor is it likely to do so in the future. There are many debates to have about the TCJA, but whether it raised or reduced revenues in 2018 should not be one of them.

A New Congressional Study Finds Little Economic Benefit From The 2017 Tax Cuts
https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/author/howard-gleckman

A new Congressional Research Service report finds that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act had little measurable effect on the overall US economy in 2018. And, no, the tax cuts didn’t come remotely close to paying for themselves by turbocharging the economy as President Trump repeatedly promised.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another new poll. Neck and neck, this time Trump +1:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Looks like RFK is going to get himself on the ballot in some states. Harry Enten (formerly of FiveThirtyEight) believes RFK's presence hurts Trump more than he hurts Biden. I'm not so sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A new Marist poll is out having Biden +3. Interestingly his margin goes up if other candidates are included in the poll besides him and Trump. As always, these polls don't mean much this far out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vote early, vote often!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump continues to lose a notable amount of GOP support in the (closed) Pennsylvania primary:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another poll. This one focuses on swing states, where Biden is slipping a bit. The national numbers are interesting but really the election comes down to states like these, so these numbers are super important.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:32 pm
Trump continues to lose a notable amount of GOP support in the (closed) Pennsylvania primary:

Are you of the opinion that these voters are going to vote for Biden or not at all?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not sure what those voters will do. Some voters have peeled off from Biden, too, over issues such as Israel/Gaza, though not as many as have peeled off from Trump. I'm sure that some of them will come back for the general election. But others may just stay home, and a few may cross over and vote for the other party or vote third-party. We'll have to see.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's fair assessment from your vantage point. Who knows for sure?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I believe I posted previously about how Nebraska is considering changing its electoral college rules to no longer split its electoral votes per district; this change would probably help Trump by taking away 1 EV from Biden in 2024. Now Maine is saying it might do the same thing if Nebraska does it:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

New CNN poll shows Trump with a 6-point lead.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't understand this behavior.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Throw the book at that guy. Being an A-hole to others based on their politics is not okay.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s why I will never stick a political bumper sticker on any vehicle or put any sign in my yard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 am
I don't understand this behavior.
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, a lot of idiots but stickers on their cars like that. I don't get it either. I wouldn't do it. I don't have Fuck Trump stickers.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I understand the behavior. That’s why I would never stick a political bumper sticker on my car.