Cancel Culture

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss the various miscellaneous instances of what some folks call "cancel culture." So, for example, people getting in trouble for things they say, for old tweets, and so on. Are the actions upsetting? Should the person be fired / cancelled? What do we think about the broader trend going on here?

Let's discuss.

Mori Chu

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a recent cancel-culture-ish story. Newly hired Teen Vogue editor-in-chief Alexi McCammond resigned from her new position there because old tweets and social media messages surfaced where she made light of Asians. Some folks said the firing was excessive because the tweets were made 10 years ago when she was 16.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/03/teen-vo ... weets.html
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/a ... illiberal/

One thing I hadn't seen included in some of the stories / discussions about McCammond is that she previously was a reporter covering the White House and got into a romantic relationship with a WH Deputy Press Secretary, which is a compromise of her journalistic ethics. This came out about a month before her Teen Vogue EIC hiring.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/controver ... teen-vogue

Was Alexi's removal as EIC reasonable or an example of cancel culture run amok?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Does this qualify as Cancel Culture-ish? Seems silly/hypocritical to fire these people when the VP admitted to it herself.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Firing people over marijuana use is dumb. They should just legalize it already, nation-wide. I got the sense that they felt they had to fire them because it was against the federal governmental policies, but still, bleh, it's dumb.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 am
I think the Cancel Culture and censorship is the new norm. I've heard it described as paying the cannibals to eat you last. I give you credit Marty, this isn't a subject and idea that would get you further in life. Canceling someone for something they did when they were 16 is a bad precedent. Holding them to only being pure and without sin as a teenager seems weird to me, as I know I've probably done stupid stuff at that age and I imagine everyone has. I think 3rdside talked about this a little while back.
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Its always been the norm whether it is the canceling of D&D, Proctor&Gamble (satanic logo scare) and Heavymetal from back in my day or today's Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Suess Btw the Right also tried to Boycott Dr. Suess in the past as well for the Lorax and its Environmental message. I think taking one side or another on this issue just shows ones susceptibility to conforming to narratives, manipulation and subjective validation to that narrative.
I remember that P&C scare when I was a kid, haha. Damn, that was quite awhile ago. I am not for canceling one side or the other. Both, I think are weak.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am
BAMF wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I remember that P&C scare when I was a kid, haha. Damn, that was quite awhile ago. I am not for canceling one side or the other. Both, I think are weak.
Agreed again. I think a moral majority should never put their thumb on a society as it tends to lead to things like abolition and the Salem witch hunt. But who am I just some guy on a keyboard not in any position of power what so ever.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

BAMF wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:31 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am
BAMF wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Agreed again. I was a kid too. I think a moral majority should never put their thumb on a society as it tends to lead to things like abolition and the Salem witch hunt. But who am I just some guy on a keyboard not in any position of power what so ever.