Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict

Post by AmareIsGod »

How much does anyone want to bet the verdict comes back not guilty for Chauvin? Going to be HUGE unrest and protest. These cases ALWAYS come back not guilty.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict

Post by Indy »

I think it will be guilty, but probably on the lesser charge of 3rd degree. I am not sure if it is correct, but I heard he could get probation and not serve any time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I should add, he deserves prison time for murder. And every cop that was there with him and didn't stop him deserve to never 'protect and serve' anyone, anywhere, ever again. And jail time.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder or second-degree manslaughter.

Second-degree manslaughter maybe. That has the lowest punishable time. I don't think that's enough.

We'll see though.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

5 people were killed by police in Great Britain in 2020. If you extrapolate the population to the US, that would equate to 25 people in the US.

436 people were killed by police in the US in 2020. 624 the year before.

Indy

Post by Indy »

reading the verdict now

Indy

Post by Indy »

count 1--2nd degree murder--guilty
count 2--3rd degree murder--guilty
count 3--2nd degree manslaughter--guilty

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

WOW.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I didn't realize he could be guilty on all 3

Indy

Post by Indy »

8 weeks from now he will be sentenced.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I still think the "unintentional murder" is bullshit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

WOW. I'm really happy about this. He just clearly murdered George Floyd on the video. It's right there plain as day. The excuses for why maybe it wasn't murder are really unconvincing. Floyd had drugs in his body? Okay, so he *happened to die* right as he's being choked to death, from something other than choking to death? In what world is it proper police work to choke a suspect out by putting your entire body weight on their neck for almost *10 minutes*? GTFOH with that. Rot in prison, Chauvin.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really hope we can get away from this era where it's fine for cops to kill black people, just so long as the black person does one tiny thing other than what the cop says to do. A lot of these cases I hear Republicans saying things like, "Well, if he didn't want to die, he shouldn't have X," where X is something like: resisted arrest, or run away, or spoke loudly, or committed some crime, etc. etc. But that is total bullshit. That is not the way our system of justice works. It isn't like the penalty for shoplifting, or running from a police officer, or arguing with a police officer, is murder. I'd love to hear what these defenders would say if it were their brother, their son, their nephew, who moderately misbehaved in the presence of a cop and got blown away for it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:49 pm
How much does anyone want to bet the verdict comes back not guilty for Chauvin? Going to be HUGE unrest and protest. These cases ALWAYS come back not guilty.
Times are a-changing. Finally.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I also think it's funny that a lot of these people who would defend to their last breath the right to bear arms, think it's fine to murder a black kid because he had a gun. I don't think kids should have guns, but, I thought guns were fine and not bad things? Now it's fine to blow somebody away if they have a gun? So does that mean if I see you holding your precious gun, I can blow you away, too? Or is this rule only for those troublesome unruly blacks?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thank god that teenager kept filming this. No way he gets convicted if the world didn't watch it happen. I read that before today, the only cop to ever get convicted of killing someone in Minnesota was a black cop that killed a white girl.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm
I also think it's funny that a lot of these people who would defend to their last breath the right to bear arms, think it's fine to murder a black kid because he had a gun. I don't think kids should have guns, but, I thought guns were fine and not bad things? Now it's fine to blow somebody away if they have a gun? So does that mean if I see you holding your precious gun, I can blow you away, too? Or is this rule only for those troublesome unruly blacks?
No. It is for any non-white kids.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ahmaud Arbery's killers sentenced to life in prison for 25-year-old Black man's murder
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/07/us/ahmau ... index.html
Three White men who chased and murdered 25-year-old Black jogger Ahmaud Arbery in south Georgia were sentenced to life in prison Friday, with two having no chance of parole.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ It seems pretty clear-cut to me. Glad that justice was served.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I agree. I never understood the thought process that they were somehow in the right.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass