Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Mori Chu »

My guess is that Israel escalates. Hopefully we can rein them in.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They seem to want an escalation with Iran. Israel and Iran have always had a special relationship with each other. Israel in the past has wanted to bomb Iranian sites that contribute to building nukes before they get to the point that they are successful at building nukes. The US has been able to rein in those impulses for many years. Iran has always made it a point of funding proxies to attack Israel. Now Israel and Iran are directly trading fire.

If I were a betting man I would guess Israel launches an attack on Iran’s Nuke facilities sooner than later.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh oh. This is bad, no?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Good job Trump! You met with Russian officials and shared classified intel about Israel with them? Israel not happy about it. Just couldn’t help himself I suppose. And why is Trump meeting with the Russian ambassador? I can only imagine that conversation…

He appeared to inadvertently confirm that he shared classified Israeli intelligence with Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak on May 10. When asked about the affair in a radio interview, Avigdor Lieberman said Israel made a “specific correction” in its dealings with the U.S. Some former Israeli officials, however, expressed concern that the incident might cause a “loss of faith” between the two allies and reluctance by Israel to share information with the new administration.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I have to say that I agree with Brian about this. It happened this morning at O'Hare Airport in Chicago too. People abandoned their cars on the road to get to their flights. It doesn't make anyone, stuck in this, sympathetic to the cause, imo.

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I strongly disapprove of blocking roads like these pro-Palestine protestors are doing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think the point is to make those caught in the traffic sympathetic…it’s to make people who can make a difference pay attention.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:31 pm
I don’t think the point is to make those caught in the traffic sympathetic…it’s to make people who can make a difference pay attention.
The people who can make a difference are probably going to do something that won't help their cause at all.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:41 pm
Split T wrote:
The people who can make a difference are probably going to do something that won't help their cause at all.
They might…to be clear, I’m not supporting it…I’m just pointing out they aren’t trying to change the minds of the people they are inconveniencing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
They might…to be clear, I’m not supporting it…I’m just pointing out they aren’t trying to change the minds of the people they are inconveniencing.
I don't disagree with you, but I find it hard to think that anyone is going to be sympathetic to their cause vs. the drivers. If you ever had to commute to work or ever had to rush to the airport for your flight, you would have a hard time thinking that we should support the Palestinians because of this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:47 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don't disagree with you, but I find it hard to think that anyone is going to be sympathetic to their cause vs. the drivers. If you ever had to commute to work or ever had to rush to the airport for your flight, you would have a hard time thinking that we should support the Palestinians because of this.
I don’t think it’s about sympathy at all. It’s more like a ”hey we are going to cause problems until you address this,” situation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:47 pm
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don’t think it’s about sympathy at all. It’s more like a ”hey we are going to cause problems until you address this,” situation.
And that's what I was alluding to earlier, but it might be something that makes it illegal for them to block traffic(although I believe it already is) or forces the police to enforce a harsher penalty.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They are trying to bring attention to their cause and it worked. Sure it also pissed off a lot of people trying to get to whatever it is they are trying to get to.

I think people like me in America are sympathetic to both sides and blame both sides. America is caught trying to split the difference and that is a lose lose situation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:27 pm
They are trying to bring attention to their cause and it worked. Sure it also pissed off a lot of people trying to get to whatever it is they are trying to get to.

I think people like me in America are sympathetic to both sides and blame both sides. America is caught trying to split the difference and that is a lose lose situation.
Does this make you more or less sympathetic to their cause?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Why do these protestors wear masks during these protests? Is it not illegal to block traffic? If so, why do the police allow this to happen and continue?

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:55 pm
Nodack wrote:

Why should my sympathy for people in Palestine or Israel be affected by the actions of protesters in San Francisco? Doesn’t affect my perception of the situation one bit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another protest blocking access to an important facility. Not a fan of these.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Why should my sympathy for people in Palestine or Israel be affected by the actions of protesters in San Francisco? Doesn’t affect my perception of the situation one bit.
The question was for Nodack, since he is sympathetic to both sides and blames both sides. It figured that those protestors would affect it one way or the other. Someone was unjustly treated in this instance.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Not sure what you are asking. Is America caught between the two sides make me more or less sympathetic to their cause? I am just tired of the same conflict going on decade after decade with no sign of this ever changing and the US always caught in the middle. The Arabs could have ended this at any time if they wanted. I say Arabs and not just Palestinians because the Arab countries in the region have stoked those flames and have contributed to the conflict many times including now. I get it, they stick up for their brothers like we are sticking up for Israel. Israel uses every attack on them as a catalyst to take more land from the Palestinians. They have gotten their revenge from this last Hamas attack and then some. Is there any buildings left standing in Gaza?

I guess I am no more or less sympathetic to their causes because America is caught in the middle. I think Maga is stupid but, I know lots of Maga people who are otherwise normal good people. They got caught up in believing in their cause and nothing will deter them. Arabs are caught up in their cause and nothing will deter them. Israel does whatever it wants and nothing will deter them. I am staunchly anti Trump and nothing will deter me. Turks hate Greeks. Japanese hate Chinese. Horses don’t like Ostriches.

As far as what does the US do about the conflict? Splitting the difference isn’t winning over many people. We have definitely taken Israel’s side more than the Palestinians. The Palestinian/Hamas/Arab side started this latest blood bath and the US has always stood by Israel.

This conflict will never end. Maybe it’s time for the Bosnia solution and have peacekeepers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:29 am
They seem to want an escalation with Iran. Israel and Iran have always had a special relationship with each other. Israel in the past has wanted to bomb Iranian sites that contribute to building nukes before they get to the point that they are successful at building nukes. The US has been able to rein in those impulses for many years. Iran has always made it a point of funding proxies to attack Israel. Now Israel and Iran are directly trading fire.

If I were a betting man I would guess Israel launches an attack on Iran’s Nuke facilities sooner than later.
Iran shuts nuclear facilities and cancels inspections amid fears of Israeli attack
https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-shuts-n ... 20451.html