Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Israel / Palestine

Post by Mori Chu »

Should we have a thread about this? The two sides are escalating their violence recently. It's sad. Who is to blame? What should we do?

3rdside

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by 3rdside »

When genocide seems like a viable option, or indeed it’s the actually strategy, something’s gone horribly wrong.

And I dare say it’s the potential genocide-ers who should take the ultimate blame on that basis.

But what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm
Should we have a thread about this? The two sides are escalating their violence recently. It's sad. Who is to blame? What should we do?
This happens every decade or so and I suspect it will continue for the rest of time no matter what. Yes, it’s sad. Who is to blame? That’s a loaded question that gets a different answer depending on who you talk to. What should we do? We ask them to stop. They stop when they are good and ready to stop and not a moment sooner. Discussing this seems pointless to me.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The longer a population is living under occupation, the more desperate they get. It is an apartheid.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just got a NYT alert of a cease fire.
"Be Legendary."

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Well its one groups country and the other group is killing them and pushing them out of their own country... So I think the answer is quite clear.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. They're going to oust Netanyahu:

Israeli opposition parties reach agreement to oust Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
By Shira Rubin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... story.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah hasn't he lost like 3 elections in a row? They just couldn't form a unified government to oust him.

But the guy that is likely to replace him is just as far right and has openly said that Palestine will only get a state over his dead body.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't understand why the US helps Israel so unconditionally 0. It seems like they have a radical government and persecute the Palestinians on their land. Can't we just cut aid to them until they behave better?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:52 pm
I don't understand why the US helps Israel so unconditionally 0. It seems like they have a radical government and persecute the Palestinians on their land. Can't we just cut aid to them until they behave better?
We can do that, but we won't. Everyone (both sides) are afraid to cut funding for them. But they commit war crimes daily. Of course, we don't have much room to speak on that.

Mori Chu

Re: World Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

There was a big attack on Israel by Hamas and Palestine last night. Hundreds dead.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Don't you love killing in the name of religion?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am not sure what they hoped to accomplish by killing a bunch of civilians. The retaliation will be off the scale. Six months from now what will Hamas say they gained from the attack? Israel will still be there and the Palestinian people will suffer great hardship. No doubt Iran had a hand in this and pay a price too I’m pretty sure. How long has this conflict been going on? 1940 something?

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:53 am
I am not sure what they hoped to accomplish by killing a bunch of civilians. The retaliation will be off the scale. Six months from now what will Hamas say they gained from the attack? Israel will still be there and the Palestinian people will suffer great hardship. No doubt Iran had a hand in this and pay a price too I’m pretty sure. How long has this conflict been going on? 1940 something?
The roots of the conflict are thousands of years old. It dials back to a simmer and then explodes again, but it never goes away.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:58 pm
Nodack wrote:
The roots of the conflict are thousands of years old. It dials back to a simmer and then explodes again, but it never goes away.
How lovely.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Six months from now what will Hamas say they gained from the attack?
Hurting “bad people” is a gain in itself. It doesn’t have to accomplish anything else.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I realized we already had an Israel / Palestine thread so I moved our recent posts about the attack here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US sending carrier fleet to the area. The General Ford? That’s the brand new Aircraft Carrier that has been getting a lot of good and bad press. It must be battle ready I guess.
Statement From Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III on U.S. Force Posture Changes in the Middle East
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/R ... es-in-the/
My thoughts continue to be with the people of Israel and the many families who have lost loved ones as a result of the abhorrent terrorist attack by Hamas. Today, in response to this Hamas attack on Israel, and following detailed discussions with President Biden, I have directed several steps to strengthen Department of Defense posture in the region to bolster regional deterrence efforts.

I have directed the movement of the USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group to the Eastern Mediterranean. This includes the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60), as well as the Arleigh-Burke-class guided missile destroyers USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116), USS Ramage (DDG 61), USS Carney (DDG 64), and USS Roosevelt (DDG 80). We have also taken steps to augment U.S. Air Force F-35, F-15, F-16, and A-10 fighter aircraft squadrons in the region. The U.S. maintains ready forces globally to further reinforce this deterrence posture if required.

In addition, the United States government will be rapidly providing the Israel Defense Forces with additional equipment and resources, including munitions. The first security assistance will begin moving today and arriving in the coming days.

Strengthening our joint force posture, in addition to the materiel support that we will rapidly provide to Israel, underscores the United States' ironclad support for the Israel Defense Forces and the Israeli people. My team and I will continue to be in close contact with our Israeli counterparts to ensure they have what they need to protect their citizens and defend themselves against these heinous terrorist attacks.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Things could turn real ugly fast. Pro Israeli protesters clashing with pro Palestinian protesters across the world including the US.

Pro-Palestinian Rally in New York City Met With Pro-Israeli Counter-Protestors
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel ... S6lqWfL61i

VIDEO: Brawl between pro-Israel, pro-Hamas protesters breaks out in Florida roadway
https://www.themidwesterner.news/2023/1 ... a-roadway/

Reports that Iran had no Idea Hamas was going to attack. Reports claiming Iran took responsibility for helping plan the attack.

Hamas spokesman says Iran gave support for surprise attack on Israel
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_ ... on-israel/

Iran Helped Plot Attack on Israel Over Several Weeks
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps gave the final go-ahead last Monday in Beirut
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/i ... g-bbe07b25

Israeli jets begin massive retaliatory airstrikes on Gaza killing 250 Palestinians
Israel declared itself to be at war and launched hundreds of relentless retaliatory strikes, killing around 250 Palestinians and injuring over one thousand more
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... _like_this

An exchange of fire in northern Israel with the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah raised fears of a spread of the conflict. Hezbollah fired dozens of rockets and shells Sunday at three Israeli positions in a disputed area along the border, and the Israeli military fired back using armed drones.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/h ... _like_this

Across the Mideast, a Surge of Support for Palestinians as War Erupts in Gaza
https://dnyuz.com/2023/10/09/across-the ... s-in-gaza/
Demonstrations in solidarity with the Palestinians took place across the region, including in Bahrain, Morocco, Turkey, Yemen, Tunisia and Kuwait. In Lebanon, Hashem Safieddine, head of the executive council for the Iran-backed militia Hezbollah, delivered a fiery speech lauding “the era of armed resistance.” And in Egypt’s coastal city of Alexandria, a policeman opened fire on Israeli tourists, killing two Israelis and an Egyptian.

The ripples spreading from Gaza underscored what many officials, scholars and citizens in the region have been saying for years: The Palestinian cause is still a deeply felt rallying cry that shapes the contours of the Middle East, and Israel’s position in the region will remain unstable as long as its conflict with the Palestinians continues.