Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:38 am
I have asked many times mori? What should Israel have done after the Hamas attack?
I know we don't see this issue 100% eye to eye, 'Dack. I guess my answer to your question is that I shouldn't have to describe a proper military strategy in order to criticize a bad one. I don't know the best way to stop Hamas and to have peace and safety in Israel, Palestine, Gaza. The Middle East situation is super complicated. In general I think it'd be good for them to find a two-state solution and officially recognize Palestine as its own independent nation. I know that is very difficult to do in practice and not something Israel wants to concede.

What I have consistently said is that just because you are attacked by an enemy doesn't mean you can literally do anything cruel back to them that you want. If I slap you, you aren't allowed to murder me. If I steal your wallet, you aren't allowed to decapitate my children. If I kill your kid, you aren't allowed to kill my kids. In the case of attacks on a nation, there are international laws for these things; there are Geneva conventions, human rights laws. The Hamas attack on 10/7 was horrible and merited a response. Israel's response has gone way too far. They have destroyed much of Gaza, killed thousands, harmed, injured, traumatized countless more. And they have not stopped Hamas by doing so, not even close. So I don't see any justification for such an oversized response.

I am sorry that I can't outline to you exactly what they should have done. But there are countless intelligent foreign policy / military experts that could have found a way to push back against Hamas without committing genocide.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

These attacks have been going on for decades. This isn’t the first time. I couldn’t even begin to estimate the number of times Israel has been attacked from Gaza over the years. This time they snuck over the border and deliberately killed as many people as they could find and they didn’t just shoot them they made personal. They raped and tortured them. They made sure to film it.

Your ideas are fine and all but they are the same old ideas floated around for many decades. This has to end.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:25 pm
These attacks have been going on for decades. This isn’t the first time. I couldn’t even begin to estimate the number of times Israel has been attacked from Gaza over the years. This time they snuck over the border and deliberately killed as many people as they could find and they didn’t just shoot them they made personal. They raped and tortured them. They made sure to film it.

Your ideas are fine and all but they are the same old ideas floated around for many decades. This has to end.
I've watched videos describing how during the massacre, Hamas gunmen were heading in one direction, saw a pre-school and turned so they could fire into the pre-school. But Israel is the one being accused of genocide.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:49 pm
I've watched videos describing how during the massacre, Hamas gunmen were heading in one direction, saw a pre-school and turned so they could fire into the pre-school. But Israel is the one being accused of genocide.
Yes. That's because Israel has killed over 26,000 people after 10/7/23 because of their country, ethnic group, religion. That is genocide.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:49 pm
Yes. That's because Israel has killed over 26,000 people after 10/7/23 because of their country, ethnic group, religion. That is genocide.
No. That’s war. If Hamas surrendered tomorrow and returned the hostages, the fighting would stop.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 am
This is such a dumb answer by Pelosi. Pro-Gaza protests are the scheming work of Putin? Come on. Rule of thumb, when there's a simple answer for something (people genuinely don't like the genocide in Gaza), you don't need to go searching for a grand conspiracy to explain it.

She's changed her conspiracy to China now, as her own Democrat constituents confront her.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pelosi is dumb on this issue and I wish she'd retire.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The news out of Gaza continues to be heartrending and hard to read.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wonder what Hamas is thinking right now. Are they contemplating a truce with Israel and ending this conflict or are they even more committed to wiping Israel off the map now?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:49 am
I wonder what Hamas is thinking right now. Are they contemplating a truce with Israel and ending this conflict or are they even more committed to wiping Israel off the map now?
Hamas loves it from my understanding. They want to make the Palestinian people martyrs whether they like it or not.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:56 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:49 am
Hamas loves it from my understanding. They want to make the Palestinian people martyrs whether they like it or not.
Yes.

Much of the aid going in to Gaza is being essentially stolen, often at gunpoint, by Hamas when it should be going to civilians. Hamas doesn't care about the people of Gaza.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You would think the Palestinians would get tired of being used a human shields. You would think the Palestinians would want a say in what happens to them in Gaza. Maybe even have a say in their own government. I guess not.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TOO

Post by TOO »

But they can't raise minimum wage. 🫠
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The effects of our participation and support for the Gaza genocide will be felt for generations.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Embarrassing and inappropriate.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:54 am
But they can't raise minimum wage. 🫠
Are you saying that the $7.25/hour, which is still the minimum wage in 20 states, is not a livable income? Working full time 40 hours per week gets you a gross wage of $1250 per month! That’s almost enough for 3 weeks of rent in some places! That should be good enough, right? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There have been a lot of these articles lately in major media outlets like NYT, WSJ, and others. They paint all Palestinians as terrorists or at least terrorist sympathizers / future terrorists, if not animals.