Israel / Palestine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Israel / Palestine

Post by Nodack »

I wouldn’t call them all terrorists but, their leaders are all terrorists.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Agree that this is very telling. Israel got a great offer for a ceasefire and the return of their hostages, but instead Netanyahu has chosen to continue bombing innocent Palestinian civilians and risking the lives of their own hostages.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:29 am
Agree that this is very telling. Israel got a great offer for a ceasefire and the return of their hostages, but instead Netanyahu has chosen to continue bombing innocent Palestinian civilians and risking the lives of their own hostages.

The way you post these random Twitter users with your added commentary on the situation is just so disingenuous.

Yes, Netanyahu doesn’t care about the hostages. He just wants to murder babies and civilians. It’s almost bordering on blood libel.

This is a “great offer” based on this post? Is Hamas still in power afterwards? Will they change their charter to no longer call for the destruction of Israel and murder of Jews across the globe? Who are these poor “prisoners” that Israel is releasing? The last time Israel exchanged one soldier (Gilad Shalit) for over 1,000 totally innocent prisoners, one of them turned out to be Yahya Sinwar… who was the mastermind behind the October 7th attack. The equivalence between young women hostages kidnapped in their homes (and raped in captivity) and prisoners who in many cases are imprisoned for attempted and successful terror attacks is wild.

The hostages are absolutely a priority, but the main priority is the defeat and removal of Hamas. The thing that would actually make this war, and all of these deaths, meaningless is allowing Hamas to remain in power afterwards and starting the cycle all over again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The random Twitter user is quoting a BBC article, fwiw. I try not to just post random people's opinions without primary sources. And yes, I think that a return of all their hostages and a ceasefire is a pretty great deal. But that's just my opinion. I don't think you can "defeat and remove Hamas" since a lot of their leadership aren't even in Gaza. It's like saying, "we need to win the war on terror!" which is unobtainable.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Governments can change. Look at all of the Arab nations that have recently normalized relations or signed peace treaties with Israel. Step 1 is acknowledging Israel’s right to exist. Hamas is a terrorist organization, full stop. I guess they’re somewhat unique in that they’re also an elected government, but as long as their raison d’etre is destroying Israel and murdering Jews, Israel has no choice but to try and remove them from power.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m don’t think Israel is going to stop until there are no more Hamas fighters in Gaza shooting back at them, all of the hostages are accounted for, the tunnel system has been rendered inoperable and there is new leadership of the Palestinian people not named Hamas.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Now they're telling the Palestinians to leave Rafah. Unclear exactly where they are supposed to go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

2 Israeli hostages rescued in Rafah. 67 Palestinian civilians killed, many of them children.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I guess the US will not give any consequence to Israel for the recent bombing and attacks on Rafah that killed dozens of civilians.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is from Doctors without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontiers):

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's weird to see soldiers posting social media videos of themselves killing and mocking Palestinian civilians.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

US single handedly blocks calls for a cease fire.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Did it have to be unanimous…why are we so attached at the hip to Israel? We’d be invading Israel if this was Afghanistan/Iraq/Iran based on our history

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:13 pm
Did it have to be unanimous…why are we so attached at the hip to Israel? We’d be invading Israel if this was Afghanistan/Iraq/Iran based on our history
Yep, we literally went to war (with ground troops!) for Kuwait. When the US was not even threatened.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t get it. We invaded Afghanistan because they wouldn’t hand over Bin Laden who was responsible for 9/11 and living and training his terrorists there. Iraq invaded Kuwait to steal their oil and we intervened to get their country back. We invaded Iraq later because somehow they were going to attack us any minute with the nukes Bush said they had that they didn’t. We never invaded Iran. They just hate us for a lot of good reasons and now we are bitter rivals.

Invade Israel? They are one of our closest allies. Nobody likes what they are doing. Their only other option is to live with their closest neighbor spending every minute of every day trying to wipe them off the face of the planet like they have for the last 80 years. The situation is just really FU.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We should have some sway over them if they are one of our closest allies and we should get them to stop killing innocent Palestinians. I know you think they have no choice…I disagree…there’s countless better options than killing thousands of children in order to maybe kill a couple Hamas terrorists.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There definitely should be a better way of separating Hamas from every day Palestinians. There should be a place for them to go that’s safe. There should be a way to get food and water to the people there without Hamas grabbing it all. The neighboring countries weren’t too thrilled with taking in Palestinian refugees and shut their gates..

Getting accurate news is hard to come by. I ignore X posts from random people that get posted. Israel isn’t going to stop until the objective is completed and that’s Hamas no longer existing in Gaza.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden's continued support for Israel's genocide in Gaza could be a real problem for him in November. Liberals and Muslim Democrats in Michigan among other places are really upset (understandably) and are saying they may refuse to vote for him. There are 200k+ Muslim Dems in Michigan; Biden won the state by around 150k in 2020. These folks could tip the state to Trump if they stay home.