World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: World Politics

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:11 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:24 pm
And you can't get a PS5! :) (And it was released a year ago!) My son has been trying for a long time. Yeah, sure, you can pay double the price from a scalper, but no, don't do it.
There is a twitter account that tells you when and where they are in stock. If you have notifications on, it can be pretty helpful. I still haven't bought one yet, but will try again next year (after the Christmas rush). And don't they typically release a better (e.g. less buggy) version a year or so after initial launch? I know they did with PS2 and 3 and I think 4.
What’s the twitter account? I’ll tell my son. You know it’s bad when I work for the company and I can’t get them. Just lucky to have been given one by Sony when they came out. Guys at work said to try out Sony Direct. Said you can get in a queue for them at certain times.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/ps5 ... t-console/
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
And you can't get a PS5! :) (And it was released a year ago!) My son has been trying for a long time. Yeah, sure, you can pay double the price from a scalper, but no, don't do it.
There is a twitter account that tells you when and where they are in stock. If you have notifications on, it can be pretty helpful. I still haven't bought one yet, but will try again next year (after the Christmas rush). And don't they typically release a better (e.g. less buggy) version a year or so after initial launch? I know they did with PS2 and 3 and I think 4.
What’s the twitter account? I’ll tell my son. You know it’s bad when I work for the company and I can’t get them. Just lucky to have been given one by Sony when they came out. Guys at work said to try out Sony Direct. Said you can get in a queue for them at certain times.

https://twitter.com/PS5StockAlerts

They notify when Sony Direct has the queue, too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/PS5StockAlerts

They notify when Sony Direct has the queue, too.
Thanks! Just sent it to my son.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm pretty happy with my Switch + PS4 + Gaming PC. Though that's not exactly world politics. :-)

I don't see any reason to believe that there will be some kind of total world economic collapse in the coming weeks or months. That sounds like doomsday thinking from folks who think Biden is doing a horrendous job as President (which I disagree with).

What -will- absolutely fuck up the world economy is climate change. Very very soon we are going to see accelerating effects of climate around the world and have to scramble to account for them. Fires, tropical storms, blizzards, droughts, you name it. That is going to be hard to contain.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Doesn't the output of ash and gas from a single volcano put more greenhouse gases into the air then yrs of cars? And haven't we had a huge amount of volcanic eruptions this yr? If we stopped all man made fires or emissions right now, we couldn't stop the volcano's from allegedly accelerating climate change. Perhaps, the genie can't be put back in the bottle, if you believe that the volcano's were caused by emissions somehow.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Volcanos will do whatever they want. Find me one person on planet earth that believes volcanos are caused by emissions.

People die from car crashes all the time so why bother putting seat belts and air bags in cars?

People die from fires in their homes all the time so why bother putting smoke detectors in?

China has a lot of smog so why should we bother trying control pollution?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

False equivalency alert. I wasn't calling for taking away controls on pollution. In fact, I wasn't calling for any types of cutbacks in controls over pollution. Let's be honest, who wants to live in a polluted world? I enjoy fresh air and clean water like everyone else.

And as far as I know, volcanos aren't a result of Co2 emissions, but are a huge culprit of them, along with forest fires lately.

As far as China, aren't they the worst polluters? What is being done to curb their pollution into the oceans and air?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

The US pollutes twice as much per person as China. But China has 4x our population. Saying that China pollutes more than the US is not a reason the US shouldn't be doing everything we can to impact climate change positively.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I suppose that's true, but at the same time, how many in China live in essentially zero emissions except for wood burning?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I read that boats (for shipping) are one of the worst sources of pollution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environme ... f_shipping

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's good to know. It's looking more and more like localization is just a better plan for the environment.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It probably is, In2, but that would also mean paying 10x for things that are currently shipped around the globe to be made locally, with living wages and locally sourced materials/minerals/etc. I mean, who is going to be OK paying $7,500 for their next TV or iphone?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

When almost everyone talks about localization, it's usually understood that it doesn't mean that EVERYTHING is made locally. Certainly a lot of things need to changed to eliminate long distance shipping for as much as possible. I assume that you've seen the numbers for many items raising their cost to 10x more by building them in the US.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I know what companies pay their employees in China and Ireland and India and Romania and Mexico and it goes on. When I compare that to what the same job costs in even low-pay markets like Phoenix, it is staggering. Companies are going to do everything they can to keep their profit margins, because that is what keeps their stock price, which is how their C-suite people get paid.

10x is a round number, so sure some things will be more like 2x, and other things might be 50x, where as many other things just won't be available at all on the open market. So black markets (even for things as mundane as out-of-season fruits and vegetables) will grow.

I am not saying that trying to be more local is bad. It is great for many things. It just isn't a viable strategy to combat climate change. I mean, most of the technology that can get us 'free' energy isn't make all over the world in each market that needs it most.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

And I'm not saying that localization is the only strategy to combat climate change, or even the main one to do it. It's just one tool in the tool box and a strategy to use.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's depressing to read about climate change. It seems pretty clear to me that we humans as a species are largely unwilling to make the kinds of large sacrifices that would be necessary to stop catastrophic climate change from happening in the next few decades. So it's going to bring great disaster on the planet that will probably forever change the way we live, maybe even threatening our future as a species, or threatening much of life on the planet.

The only hope I have is that we'll invent some kind of ridiculous new technology to help reverse the damage we are doing, such as massive carbon capture or something like that. I do think we'll continue to slowly grow our investment in renewable energy sources like solar and wind power, which will be helpful, though we're doing it too slowly.

I heard a good argument that we should not think of investing in climate change prevention as "liberal" or "progressive." If anything, it is conservative in the most literal sense of the world. Spending money now will help us conserve our current way of life as best we can, rather than letting the planet warm and changing our lives forever. Doing nothing is actually the radical choice.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Dems really wanted Republicans to take it seriously Dems would have to be against fighting climate change. Then Republicans would be forced to be for it. :)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:40 pm
If Dems really wanted Republicans to take it seriously Dems would have to be against fighting climate change. Then Republicans would be forced to be for it. :)
You may be on to something there...!

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I found this in one of my folders looking for something else - a list of all the interventions by the USA in foreign countries.

The list is, how do you say it .... long as f*** - so long I had to split it into two posts:

Spoiler: show/hide

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Cont'd:

Spoiler: show/hide