World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: World Politics

Post by 3rdside »

Everything was going swimmingly in Australia other than the fact that we bungled our procurement of vaccines, but it didn't really matter as there was no virus in the country.

Then the much more contagious delta variant snuck through, an outbreak is picking up steam and now everyone here in Sydney is in lockdown which will probably stay until the end of winter I'd guess.
Last edited by 3rdside on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:37 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 am
Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm
All sorts of stuff is going go go down. Take a look at hegemonic stability theory.
What should I sell and what should I buy, v9?
If I knew, I wouldn't have lost 5% of my portfolio over the past 6 weeks based on Delta wreaking havoc on the potential for the tourism industry's return!

But if HST is correct, the US dollar cannot continue to stand. US diplomats have been concerned about the USD maintaining reserve currency status for nearly a decade now. If the USD loses reserve currency status, the US ceases to be able to finance imports by borrowing money overseas. At that point, you're looking at a 15% decline in the US standard of living effective immediately.
Wait, what did Delta do?
omfg. I just realized you were talking about the Delta variant and in my mind we were talking about stocks and I was thinking Delta Airlines (because I put a good chunk of cash into about 2 months into the pandemic and it is doing really well). :lol:

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 am
Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm
All sorts of stuff is going go go down. Take a look at hegemonic stability theory.
What should I sell and what should I buy, v9?
If I knew, I wouldn't have lost 5% of my portfolio over the past 6 weeks based on Delta wreaking havoc on the potential for the tourism industry's return!

But if HST is correct, the US dollar cannot continue to stand. US diplomats have been concerned about the USD maintaining reserve currency status for nearly a decade now. If the USD loses reserve currency status, the US ceases to be able to finance imports by borrowing money overseas. At that point, you're looking at a 15% decline in the US standard of living effective immediately.
Ray Dalio - The Changing World Order (via his Linkedin profile):

https://www.linkedin.com/in/raydalio/

The financial crisis, printing money to bail out the country that meant asset prices shot up (the rich got richer), Trump's tax cuts that benefitted the rich, the virus leading to more printing of money and further asset price rises and the rich getting richer again, an upstart country in China with a point to prove and nationalism based, in part, on previous national humiliations.. to a tee this is a text book script for a changing world order and loss of reserve currency status for the USA.

But ..

The future is never written, and established doctrines can change.

If you read it, you get a sense that America is right on the precipice, but with Biden there's a chance of success .. with Trump it was all over.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

China isn't perfect either - it has a massive demographic problem, and there's plenty of talk about China never overtaking the USA as the world's largest economy ..

Spoiler: show/hide

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Interesting.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I should add that Dalio tries to avoid discussing his personal political view points at all times - he even mentions how risky it would be to do that considering the politicised environment in the US right now - and definitely does not say he's either pro-Biden or anti-Trump, but it's clear based on the incontrovertible evidence he uses which way he sees things in that regard.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Here’s the stuff Russia puts out.

Who wants to burn in nuclear hell for Ukraine?
Читайте больше на https://english.pravda.ru/world/99059-nuclear_hell/
Ukraine and NATO: Final preparations to strike Russia

According to military expert Colonel Vladimir Popov, Russia needs to treat this threat seriously.

"Neptune is a Soviet development based on the X-35 anti-ship missile. Russia should think of defence. The fact that Ukraine has taken all this to the border is not surprising at all. The Ukrainian authorities still advertise their plans to "liberate" both Crimea and Donbass. The Russian military need to take this perspective into consideration," the expert believes.

Lieutenant General Yuri Netkachev believes that Ukraine and NATO already wage the hybrid war against Russia. Sea Breeze 2021 naval exercise near Russian borders comes as a clear demonstration of this.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

European Parliament calls to terminate relations with Russia once and for all
Читайте больше на https://english.pravda.ru/world/119837- ... arliament/

"MEPs believe that the EU should be ready not to recognize the Russian parliament if the parliamentary elections in 2021 are held in violation of democratic principles and international law," the European Parliament said in a statement released after the vote.

Is the United States behind the assassination of the President of Haiti?
Читайте больше на https://english.pravda.ru/world/13602-h ... ssination/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China threatens to nuke Japan if country intervenes in Taiwan conflict
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... b4c77629e1
“We will use nuclear bombs first. We will use nuclear bombs continuously. We will do this until Japan declares unconditional surrender for the second time,” a threatening video circulated among official Chinese Communist Party channels warns.
“When we liberate Taiwan, if Japan dares to intervene by force – even if it only deploys one soldier, one plane or one ship – we will not only return fire but also wage full-scale war against Japan itself.”

CCP sanctioned video threatens China will nuke Japan in a 'full-scale war'
https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... b5c3d23803

CCP channel reposts video threatening to nuke Japan if it defends Taiwan
Video calls for 'Japan Exception Theory' for first use of nukes if Japan comes to Taiwan's aid during Chinese invasion

https://www.newsweek.com/china-official ... ry-1609586

China Officials Share Viral Video Calling for Atomic Bombing of Japan
BY JOHN FENG ON

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4250097
In the second video, the narrator focuses on the numerical superiority and fighting will of PLA forces compared to their Japanese opponents. The video also claims that after Japan is defeated, China will break up its four main islands into independent countries under the "supervision" of China and Russia, which will both establish military garrisons there.

The narrator adds that Okinawa will be broken off from Japan and either be managed by China or made into an independent country. The video concludes with a vow to punish Japan Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, former Prime Minister Abe Shinzo, and Deputy Prime Minister Aso Taro and force the Liberal Democratic Party and Japanese right-wing parties and organizations to pay "heavy war reparations."