Abortion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Abortion

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:02 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am
I don't watch this guy anymore. He disgusts me.
That’s what I did during WWII. Couldn’t stand watching Hitler, so I just stuck my head in the sand.

In my defense, it’s normal to be immature at age of -25.
Whether I watch him or not isn't going to change anything. Other than my well being.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just automatically assume he’s lying if his mouth is moving.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:27 pm
I just automatically assume he’s lying if his mouth is moving.
And in a disgusting and off-putting way.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. Seems like a big ruling for AZ.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's wild, I almost thought it was made up.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think this is a winning message in the 2024 elections. Women are going to be pissed about all these abortion bans.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They don’t seem to understand that banning abortion is a great way to lose votes. I guess they don’t care what the majority of Americans think.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-revi ... 27960.html
The decision by the state’s conservative Supreme Court justices upholds an 1864 law that prohibits abortions from the moment of conception, including in cases involving rape or incest.

Anyone who administers a termination could face fines and a jail term of two to five years.

The only exception to the near-total ban is in cases threatening the life of the mother.

Critics have pointed out the territorial law predates Arizona achieving statehood, the end of the American Civil War or women securing the right to vote.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

After talking to my wife about this, she is of the opinion that this was targeted as a timing issue. There is a bill by the Dems in AZ on the docket that would make abortion legal all the way up until birth and can be done by any health care professional, including chiropractic, veternarian, or even psychiatric. There is no competing bill out there by Reps, because the law of 15 weeks was fine and they didn't feel the need to have one.

This ruling now pushes the only bill forward and would be put to the voters. It's already gotten enough signatures, because they used deceptive means when describing the bill. So, if the Reps don't put forward a competing bill, it would be put on the ballot for a vote. The feeling is that this will push more voters to the polls to vote for this, not realizing how radical it is. The next benefit is that theoretically it will bring more people out to vote for the Dem candidates, as it will be advertised heavily that "the Reps are so radical that they want to jail desperate people who got raped or by incest or even want to help them. Those monsters have to be stopped!!!!! And voting for a Rep, you will facilitate these to be prosecuted in the future.".
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These kinds of sitations bum me out. The AZ court decision is bad because it twists a super old law, that hasn't been used for a century and no longer reflects the will of the people of the state, back into relevance. And then the AG from the other political party just says they won't enforce the law. I don't know what kind of a system you have where one party makes up new laws and the other says they'll just ignore them. The amount of enmity between the two parties is so high. You have:

(a) one party making a new law/ruling that is bad; and
(b) the other party saying they won't enforce it, effectively making it null and void.

I do think (a) is worse than (b), but both are bad. They don't pass the "I would be okay with this if the other side did it" test.

You can tell that this is an unpopular ruling because GOP Senate candidate Kari Lake is already trying to distance herself from it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/10/us/p ... izona.html

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:49 am
These kinds of sitations bum me out. The AZ court decision is bad because it twists a super old law, that hasn't been used for a century and no longer reflects the will of the people of the state, back into relevance. And then the AG from the other political party just says they won't enforce the law. I don't know what kind of a system you have where one party makes up new laws and the other says they'll just ignore them. The amount of enmity between the two parties is so high.
I don't think that common sense Reps brought this forward, and I don't think that the Dems put up much fight, so that this issue would be pushed in exactly the way that it is now. Establishment from both parties want this fight, as it will push out who they feel is the real enemy of their power structure, imo.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:49 am
These kinds of sitations bum me out. The AZ court decision is bad because it twists a super old law, that hasn't been used for a century and no longer reflects the will of the people of the state, back into relevance. And then the AG from the other political party just says they won't enforce the law. I don't know what kind of a system you have where one party makes up new laws and the other says they'll just ignore them. The amount of enmity between the two parties is so high.
I don't think that common sense Reps brought this forward, and I don't think that the Dems put up much fight, so that this issue would be pushed in exactly the way that it is now. Establishment from both parties want this fight, as it will push out who they feel is the real enemy of their power structure, imo.
All at the expense of women's rights. Nice.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It seems to be a pattern where Red state governments ban abortion and then someone puts forth a proposition making it legal and it passes overwhelmingly by the public nullifying the ban. I am sure there will be a proposition in time for the next Presidential election in AZ that will get pro choice people to the voting booth and those people will be less likely to vote Republican.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am
It seems to be a pattern where Red state governments ban abortion and then someone puts forth a proposition making it legal and it passes overwhelmingly by the public nullifying the ban. I am sure there will be a proposition in time for the next Presidential election in AZ that will get pro choice people to the voting booth and those people will be less likely to vote Republican.
You're not wrong, imo. This particular proposition though has been in the works for awhile now and well before the AZ Supreme court even started hearing the case, and it was timed nearly perfectly to not have a competing prop to get out for the election.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kari’s stance on everything is “What stance gets me the most votes.” She is more than willing to change her stance on anything depending on the direction of the wind.

Kari Lake Blasts Abortion Ban She Once Was ‘Thrilled’ About
https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-cour ... 56484.html

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You can have conflicting feelings about it, once you see get all the information on it, the motivations behind it and see the full picture.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This guy still cracks me up.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:35 pm
You can have conflicting feelings about it, once you see get all the information on it, the motivations behind it and see the full picture.
Kari Lake is a 54 year old woman who spent a good deal of time as a newscaster in Phoenix. She should be pretty versed on the subject a long time ago. I wonder what information she could have gotten between the time she was gleeful there was an abortion ban to now, where she is what, pro lifechoice? The only thing I see that has happened since then was people all over America speaking up and voting against abortion bans and politicians who are anti abortion. My instinct tells me she is only changing her stance because she thinks it will get her votes. The same way she was and is 100% behind Trump and whatever he says. Can you say VP Lake?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:35 pm
Kari Lake is a 54 year old woman who spent a good deal of time as a newscaster in Phoenix. She should be pretty versed on the subject a long time ago. I wonder what information she could have gotten between the time she was gleeful there was an abortion ban to now, where she is what, pro lifechoice? The only thing I see that has happened since then was people all over America speaking up and voting against abortion bans and politicians who are anti abortion. My instinct tells me she is only changing her stance because she thinks it will get her votes. The same way she was and is 100% behind Trump and whatever he says. Can you say VP Lake?
No, it's not about what you thought you knew in the past. A lot of the information has come out just recently when this happened unexpectedly. I don't believe she changed her stance on abortion, just on how this happened and what was involved.

I have my own feelings about abortion, and keep a pretty close eye on things, I think. Even I was very surprised by it. At first you hear, it's a ban on abortion, and could think "Good", but then you realize that it goes too far.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hannity is running away from this extremist abortion ban. But isn't that what he wants? Republicans have really screwed the pooch on this one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 am
Hannity is running away from this extremist abortion ban. But isn't that what he wants? Republicans have really screwed the pooch on this one.

It's obvious that you have dismissed, not considered or haven't even read my takes on this, based on what you are saying here. I don't believe that any fair minded Republican or Conservative thinks that this was a great decision or truly endorses it, and across the board, they believe that exceptions need to be made for incest and rape. They also aren't keen on the punishment turning into arrests and/or jail time.