Bitcoin, crypto, NFTs

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Bitcoin, crypto, NFTs

Post by Mori Chu »

NFTs are going great.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

NFTs were a joke from the beginning. Horrible concept.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:14 pm
NFTs were a joke from the beginning. Horrible concept.
I recall javalle McGee sinking some money on the board apes…. Curious how many more years he’s gonna have to play to pay off that mistake 😳

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Can we declare NFTs dead yet?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

0% Surprised.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:07 pm
0% Surprised.
I would even say, "working as intended". It was always essentially a fancy pump-and-dump scam, with a veneer of technological mumbo-jumbo over the top.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Anyone want to buy a board ape yacht club NFT? I think javalle McGee might have a few.

Yea…. Not surprised at all.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, that was a crazy fad that went to ridiculous heights until it came crashing down and left many holding the bag.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Whether to delete, or Rick Roll the link and add some snark. Such a heavy decision. Good thing I’m not a mod.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sam Bankman-Fried guilty on all counts. Wow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The guy is an idiot and defended himself.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The establishment can't let him go down and turn on them for taking his stolen money.

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think your tweet is misleading; not everything is some grand corrupt conspiracy. What's being dropped is a *second* set of charges against SBF. They aren't dropping any of the existing charges for which SBF was already tried and convicted and will face substantial prison time. They are just choosing not to run an entire second trial on a second set of charges, which they felt were redundant / overlapping with the existing charges. Also, running the second trial would delay any punishment from the first charges/trial and elongate the whole matter without any restitution for the victims.
Prosecutors told U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in a letter that evidence at a second trial would duplicate evidence already shown to a jury. They also said it would ignore the "strong public interest in a prompt resolution" of the case, particularly because victims would not benefit from forfeiture or restitution orders if sentencing is delayed.

A conviction on the additional charges would not result in a potential for a longer prison sentence for Bankman-Fried, prosecutors said.

"Proceeding with sentencing in March 2024 without the delay that would be caused by a second trial would advance the public's interest in a timely and just resolution of the case," prosecutors wrote. "The interest in avoiding delay weighs particularly heavily here, where the judgment will likely include orders of forfeiture and restitution for the victims of the defendant's crimes."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... er-charges
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sam-bankma ... der-fraud/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You're right, not everything is part of a grand conspiracy, but it doesn't mean I trust the establishment any more.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, but, using false tweets to justify your dislike of "the establishment" (whatever that nebulous term even means) doesn't make any sense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It was false that the Fed dropped 6 charges? The tweet may have needed more context, but it wasn't false, even if you don't understand who the establishment is(which is sad to me).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You said "the establishment can't let him go down." He has very much "gone down." He's been tried and found guilty and is going to owe a gigantic amount of money as well as spending many years in prison. How is any of that consistent with "the establishment can't let him go down"? What is your statement if not entirely incorrect?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:25 pm
You said "the establishment can't let him go down." He has very much "gone down." He's been tried and found guilty and is going to owe a gigantic amount of money as well as spending many years in prison. How is any of that consistent with "the establishment can't let him go down"? What is your statement if not entirely incorrect?
That was my own statement, not the tweet. That should be a clearly identified difference, right?

I still contend, that by not pursuing the other charges, you are letting some of this off the hook, and anyone that was wrapped up in it. Also, do the politicians that received large donations, give those donations back? He basically stole $8b from investors.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:50 pm
You're right, not everything is part of a grand conspiracy, but it doesn't mean I trust the establishment any more.
I trust the establishment more than I trust the people trying to bring down the establishment like the GOP. Democracy isn’t perfect but, it’s the system of government we have been using for hundreds of years and became the envy of the world. Democracy is run by people and people in the establishment can become corrupt. Trump became President and he’s one of the most corrupt people I can think of. All of the shit he has pulled has been backed by the GOP establishment no matter how bad it is. The GOP doesn’t trust the “establishment “ but they trust Trump? This isn’t the first time the GOP has tried to end Democracy. In 1939 they made a valiant attempt to side with Hitler and end Democracy in America as their patriotic duty as they put it.