Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Social media

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like Twitter is banning various journalists' accounts now, as well as banning the account of the Mastadon competing social media network. Not sure why.

I mean seriously, fuck this guy:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Other major Tesla shareholders starting to get upset about Elon's antics.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Twitter announces that they will block people from posting links to their profiles on other social media sites like Mastodon. (This is really stupid. Twitter is being run by a petulant man-child.)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Will he abide by it?

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mean, who knows, but if he does step away as CEO of Twitter, it won't be because of some dumb poll. He probably is under pressure from Tesla investors to stop ruining both companies with his erratic behavior. The major shareholders probably quietly told him he needs to step away or they'll try to oust him or something. Or he's just tired of failing and being dunked on 24/7 for being such a shitty leader of Twitter and has had enough. Either way, he can kindly gtfo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not long ago I had respect for the guy. Now I have none.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:57 am
Not long ago I had respect for the guy. Now I have none.
We saw that all unfold in realtime.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Tesla stock has lost half of its value in the past 6 months. Maybe having your CEO buy and immediately erratically ruin another company is bad for your brand? Huh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A shame. I hate to see any Seattle tech office close.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Elon is trying to avoid paying out his 3-month severances to laid off employees by forcing them to sign onerous settlement agreements.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh oh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Funny blog post from an intern at SpaceX about what it was like to be managed by, and manage, Elon Musk.

The full post: https://www.tumblr.com/numberonecatwinn ... 6/elon-wyd
I was an intern at SpaceX years ago, back it when it was a much smaller company — after Elon got hair plugs, but before his cult of personality was in full swing. I have some insight to offer here.

Back when I was at SpaceX, Elon was basically a child king. He was an important figurehead who provided the company with the money, power, and PR, but he didn’t have the knowledge or (frankly) maturity to handle day-to-day decision making and everyone knew that. He was surrounded by people whose job was, essentially, to manipulate him into making good decisions.

Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.

The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk. Second funniest was all the people I saw playing WoW at their desks after ~5pm, who did it in the office just to give the appearance that they were working late.

People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.

Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.

This post is long so I’ll leave you with my favorite Elon story. One day at work, I got an all hands email telling me that it was Elon’s birthday and there was going to be a mandatory surprise party for him in the cafeteria. Presumably Elon also got this email, but whatever. We all marched down into the cafeteria, dimmed the lights, and waited. Elon was led out by his secretary (who he hadn’t fired yet) and made a big show of being fake surprised and touched that we were there. Then they wheeled out the cake.

OK, so, I want you to imagine the biggest penis cake you’ve ever seen. Like the king of novelty sex cakes. Only it’s frosted white, and the balls have been frosted to look like fire and smoke. This was Elon’s birthday “rocket” cake.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the look on everyone’s face — in that dark room of mostly-male engineers — when he made a wish and cut into the tip.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Makes sense. Sounds like he's a petulant man-child.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy was right about him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Free Speech crusader strikes again!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

FB is letting Trump back on. Seems like they are desperate to be relevant again. Facebook is soooo dead. I check mine once every 1-2 weeks and there's almost no new content. It's a wasteland of spammy group posts and ads. Reminds me of late-stage MySpace.