Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
TOO

Re: Social media

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:25 am
Yep…

Trump ramps up rhetoric on media, calls press ‘the enemy of the people’
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... he-people/
If they are going to push lies and fake news to get you frothing at the mouth and into a frenzy, then they are the enemy of the people.
You are doing the same thing, but also you cant see it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Yep…

If they are going to push lies and fake news to get you frothing at the mouth and into a frenzy, then they are the enemy of the people.
I suppose this is true. The difference is that you only want to condemn me. So, it's 10 vs 1 in this forum. I have a reason to be defensive.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:22 pm
TOO wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Yep…

I suppose this is true. The difference is that you only want to condemn me. So, it's 10 vs 1 in this forum. I have a reason to be defensive.
Lemme tell ya, life was a lot better when people didn't have a 24-7 grift cycle to stare all day, there is too much access and too many people making money off said access. Sometimes it's just better to be blissfully ignorant.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:22 pm
TOO wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Yep…

Lemme tell ya, life was a lot better when people didn't have a 24-7 grift cycle to stare all day, there is too much access and too many people making money off said access. Sometimes it's just better to be blissfully ignorant.
Yes, there are times that I'm envious of the blissfully ignorant.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Blissful ignorance in this day and age is a choice. I can't say whether is a good or bad one, I can however say it makes things a lot less messy in a lot of social spaces.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Regardless of this one CBS lady's layoff situation, it seems like we all generally agree that freedom of the press is good and important. Even if the press writes things that are bad or wrong, letting them have that freedom is crucial to this country. To that end, Trump has repeatedly talked about adding additional laws to restrict what the media can say or write, so that he can punish coverage he does not like. He also frequently threatens the press, such as threatening to sue them, and siccing his supporters on specific reporters he dislikes by naming them in his speeches and tweets.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/10/57710023 ... -as-a-sham
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 199794002/
https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media ... aws-219866
https://www.cjr.org/first_person/donald ... _times.php

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What's the recourse for news that lies and slanders people? What's the recourse for government that provably has violated the 1st amendment rights of it's citizens?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The recourse is they are sued for lying and slander like FOX was and had to pay 787 million in their settlement.

Trump was the leader of the government of the US and how much is he paying for his lies and slandering? $400+ million? Trump doesn’t know the difference between freedom of speech and lies and slander.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's the recourse? To the government with unlimited means and that can just print money? I guess there is no recourse than.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:18 am
That's the recourse? To the government with unlimited means and that can just print money? I guess there is no recourse than.
I figured out how to solve the next budget standoff. :lol:

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Accountability…. It’s a SOB.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:13 am
In2ition wrote:
I figured out how to solve the next budget standoff. :lol:
Essentially. Tell me what accountability there has been to violating the Constitution? When Biden gets smacked down by SCOTUS, he just pivots to violate it in another way. I see no recourse. You can destroy an individual through lawfare, by bankruptcy to the point that they can't even fight it, even if they are in the right. You can't get justice against the government, when they break the law.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I would have suggested to Trump not to break so many laws just because you think you are so rich and famous you can get away with it. What you guys see as injustice, the rest of us see as justice and American Democracy working as it should.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A follow-up to a story In2 posted about a fired journalist. She's being pressured to give up her sources.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Just another example of a fascist police state. Any self-respecting journalist would never devulge their sources and they should be protected by the first amendment, but I don't have a lot of faith in the latest generation of cowards.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Elon posting this untrue smear of an innocent immigrant and Biden is just another example of how conservative shitposting social media has rotted his brain.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:30 pm
Elon posting this untrue smear of an innocent immigrant and Biden is just another example of how conservative shitposting social media has rotted his brain.

Are you arguing that the cops didn't get attacked and beat up in Times Square by illegals? And this particular one didn't get arrested and released for it?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think this is any type of revelation of the New York Times. No one here is surprised, right?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL. Imagine being so toxic and bitter that you can't even relax and enjoy the Oscars.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Saw the new Rivian recently. So glad there's some e-car competition so I'm not forced to buy from that nutjob.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."