The US Economy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: The US Economy

Post by Nodack »

I worked at Burger King in HS and one year of college. I was told they don’t make much money on Whoppers. The big profit is in soft drinks that go along with the meal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another strong jobs report for March. At this point the MAGAs basically have given up on trying to use the economy as a 2024 election issue because Biden has done such a strong job on it. They can't even plausibly claim that we're headed for a depression or recession any more, so they've pivoted 100% to border fearmongering.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They have inflation to politicize still. Trump can just claim all the other good numbers are fake.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Families slip back into poverty after pandemic-era child tax credit expires
Mar 25, 2024 6:35 PM EDT
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/famil ... it-expires

If poverty increases, but the wealthy are getting wealthier, is that a sign of the economy being strong? Is it as sign about building the economy from the bottom up and middle out?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My own boys are facing this reality right now, but the Economy is great, right?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Imagine thinking that ANY president is going to fix employers not wanting to pay their employees lol.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is that what you heard him say?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know that the price of gas doesn't bother or effect the rich, or those with electric cars, but it does effect a large number of people. And, this should only increase the closer we get to the summer. Good thing that Biden doesn't want to rebuild the Strategic Oil Reserves. The Economy is great!!!!

Gas prices have climbed nearly 14% this year. Here's why.
Warm-weather travelers are driving up demand for gas, experts said.
By Max Zahn
March 29, 2024, 9:44 AM
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/gas-pri ... =108652610

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:30 am
That's the problem. Inflation has happened forever, yet the national minimum wage is still 7.25. The only place you can live on those wages is your moms basement or the streets.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:49 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:30 am
That's the problem. Inflation has happened forever, yet the national minimum wage is still 7.25. The only place you can live on those wages is your moms basement or the streets.
I agree that the minimum wage should be increased. I think it should be over $22 an hour, according to the historical data. That's not what he was saying he was being paid though.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Again, a president isn't fixing the cost of living vs pay wage problems. Covid showed that people will still keep paying for necessities no matter the price, companies aren't going stop until the people stop.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He said he's paid twice what his parents were paid and when they were able to live on their own. He can't afford to do the same with twice the wage. Someone that makes the Economy good, because you are looking at it from what POV?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:09 am
► Show Spoiler
Interesting. My sons have no such issues. Of course, they don't blame others for their situations. I raised them better than that.

(This is directed at the kid in the video, not your boys.)
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Interesting. My sons have no such issues. Of course, they don't blame others for their situations. I raised them better than that.

Ok. I don't think that is appropriate to his situation. If you can't have empathy for someone because they admit that they can't afford $1,800 a month in purely rent to live on their own, that seems a bit heartless.

I don't know enough people at that age that can immediately afford a median priced house at that age, since it requires an income of $115K per yr. I'm clearly hanging out with a poor crowd.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm
In2ition wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Ok. I don't think that is appropriate to his situation. If you can't have empathy for someone because they admit that they can't afford $1,800 a month in purely rent to live on their own, that seems a bit heartless.

I don't know enough people at that age that can immediately afford a median priced house at that age, since it requires an income of $115K per yr. I'm clearly hanging out with a poor crowd.
Since this isn't politics, I'll engage. Neither of my sons own houses but they don't cry about it. Sean had to live with 8 roommates in New York to afford to live there but he didn't cry about it. They have both figured out how to make a living wage and have worked their ways into good living situations. Both renting. But I have no doubt that they'll both eventually own homes, never having cried about it along the way. Just working hard and making things happen. You know. The American way. (Unless the orange baby has his way. Oops!)
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm happy for your sons. I'm sure this kid is going to figure it out too. I don't understand trying to shame him for some legitimate beefs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:01 pm
I'm happy for your sons. I'm sure this kid is going to figure it out too. I don't understand trying to shame him for some legitimate beefs.
It’s un-American. He’s a cry baby. Quit blaming the system and get to work, buddy! Systemic of the Trumpers.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Why is he crying on the Internet about it? Nobody cares.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:21 pm
In2ition wrote:
Why is he crying on the Internet about it? Nobody cares.
Idk

In2ition

Post by In2ition »