The US Economy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
TOO

Re: The US Economy

Post by TOO »

Autonomous cars are a stupid idea, and if people complain about crappy part time jobs then they don't wanna work, soft ass babies.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was talking to my coworker a number of years ago, and we figured that's exactly where things would end up. Your car might be an autonomous Uber when you aren't using it, lol.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I believe autonomous cars are going to be standard in the semi near future. Yes, crappy jobs are a lot better than no jobs. I have done my share of them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:33 pm
I was talking to my coworker a number of years ago, and we figured that's exactly where things would end up. Your car might be an autonomous Uber when you aren't using it, lol.
I have thought the same thing in the past. There isn't even a reason to own a car any more. Assuming there are enough in rotation that one is always available nearby. And if they ever solve the issues, there should be way less accidents if all cars are monitoring each other.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 pm
I believe autonomous cars are going to be standard in the semi near future. Yes, crappy jobs are a lot better than no jobs. I have done my share of them.
If you don't like working crappy jobs, work your way up to the good ones. I'm tired of those playing the victim card all the time.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yep.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do agree that the cost of housing is completely out of whack. Even young people who have good jobs with good salaries still can't afford a place to live. Even in a "good" economy, that has been true for a while.

I don't really know the solution. I certainly don't think electing Trump would help it any. IMO they just need to approve lots and lots of new housing development projects and increase the supply until the price drops. Too many areas have restrictions and NIMBYs who stop more housing from being built. I think just building more homes would help a lot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here, journalist Matt Yglesias makes the argument that Trump's Project 2025 (fascist) platform will be bad for housing costs because he weirdly wants MORE regulations and restrictions on housing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Housing prices vary greatly from time to time. We sold a starter home for a high price, then bought a nicer home for 275k. A month later it was worth 150k after housing bubble broke. Obama eventually gave us a cheaper 15 year loan and now we have paid it off. Now it’s worth about 500k.

If I was starting out I think I would try to save for a nice down payment and wait for the right time living as cheaply as I could.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's probably a good plan. That's essentially all my oldest can and is doing now.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's possible that there is some money to be made here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I have no idea how stuff like this is ok..

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

...with that being said, might want to get in on some shares.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

IMO Congress critters should not be allowed to perform individual stock transactions. There's too much potential for corruption.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:01 pm
IMO Congress critters should not be allowed to perform individual stock transactions. There's too much potential for corruption.
I like your index funds only idea.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Needs to be law.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:21 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
100%

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:53 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:21 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
100%
Broad market index funds specifically. Sector funds still allow too much obvious potential for corruption.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This will never happen unless America demands it in a big way. Us talking about all these great ideas to make Politicians not be corrupt mean nothing to those politicians. A million people standing on the steps of Washington demanding it would get their attention much more.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:32 pm
This will never happen unless America demands it in a big way. Us talking about all these great ideas to make Politicians not be corrupt mean nothing to those politicians. A million people standing on the steps of Washington demanding it would get their attention much more.
And we know they're good ideas when every single one of us agrees.
"Be Legendary."