Artificial intelligence (AI)

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
BKinSJC

Re: Artificial intelligence (AI)

Post by BKinSJC »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:03 am
Skyborg: AI control of military drones begins to take off
https://dronewars.net/2022/01/03/skybor ... more-15275

‘Wildly Successful’ Skyborg Will Become Program of Record but Won’t Stop Developing S&T
https://www.airandspaceforces.com/wildl ... loping-st/
Skyborg, the Air Force’s effort to develop an artificial intelligence-enabled system to control unmanned aircraft, is ready to “graduate” and contribute to key programs such as the Next Generation Air Dominance family of systems, a top program executive officer said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/1 ... g-00132092
In August, the Pentagon announced an ambitious, two-year plan to develop thousands of drones to swarm and overwhelm China’s much larger arsenal of weapons — and do it cheaply.

” Replicator has a relatively simple mission: to “field attritable autonomous systems at scale of multiple thousands, in multiple domains, within the next 18-to-24 months.”
"Hey, I think we might be building that AI system that was put in control of all the weapons and then tried to wipe out humankind in the 'Terminator' universe ..."

"Skynet? Well, we wouldn't want people to think about that, would we ... let's give it a completely different name. How about, uh, 'Skyborg'?"

"Genius! Nobody will ever make the connection!"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting. The New York Times is suing ChatGPT / OpenAI for copyright infringement for training its models using their articles without their permission:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Would it be dangerous if AI was used to select a jury pool that would guarantee a verdict or write an indictment?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think most folks would support using AI as a judge or jury.

Has AI been used to select juries?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I've heard whispers that it may be the case on some.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:57 pm
I've heard whispers that it may be the case on some.
Where? I don't like whispers and heresay with no source. Never heard of such a thing. Not like our legal system and lawyers do a good job at selecting juries. They are constantly selecting juries to get a verdict in their favor.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

Whether or not it’s already happening, it’s inevitable that AI will eventually be used to analyze potential jurors’ behavior and demographics and estimate how likely they are to be favorable to your side. Of course, lawyers already do that the best they can. AI will simply help them do it better.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 pm
Whether or not it’s already happening, it’s inevitable that AI will eventually be used to analyze potential jurors’ behavior and demographics and estimate how likely they are to be favorable to your side. Of course, lawyers already do that the best they can. AI will simply help them do it better.
With API access to Amazon Rekognition set up, I could probably do this in 3 hours with three help of a smart coder.

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:21 pm
Cap wrote:
With API access to Amazon Rekognition set up, I could probably do this in 3 hours with three help of a smart coder.
No you couldn’t, because they don’t allow cameras in courtrooms.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
You're right, but I'm not just talking about lawyers selecting jurors from the pool. I'm talking about the entire pool being selected by AI for a certain outcome, without any sense of connection between the jurors at all, so it looks completely random. So it wouldn't matter if Perry Mason was defending the accused and Bozo was the prosecutor. It wouldn't matter who they selected pretrial, the outcome is set.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

‘Social Order Could Collapse’ in AI Era, Two Top Japan Companies Say
Telecommunications company NTT and leading newspaper Yomiuri to issue manifesto calling for new laws to restrain generative AI
https://www.wsj.com/tech/ai/social-orde ... y-1a71cc1d
Unless AI is restrained, “in the worst-case scenario, democracy and social order could collapse, resulting in wars,” the manifesto said.

It said Japan should take measures immediately in response, including laws to protect elections and national security from abuse of generative AI.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Teen Girls Confront an Epidemic of Deepfake Nudes in Schools
https://dnyuz.com/2024/04/08/teen-girls ... n-schools/
In October, some 10th-grade girls at Westfield High School — including Ms. Mani’s 14-year-old daughter, Francesca — alerted administrators that boys in their class had used artificial intelligence software to fabricate sexually explicit images of them and were circulating the faked pictures.

Blindsided last year by the sudden popularity of A.I.-powered chatbots like ChatGPT, schools across the United States scurried to contain the text-generating bots in an effort to forestall student cheating. Now a more alarming A.I. image-generating phenomenon is shaking schools.

Boys in several states have used widely available “nudification” apps to pervert real, identifiable photos of their clothed female classmates, shown attending events like school proms, into graphic, convincing-looking images of the girls with exposed A.I.-generated breasts and genitalia.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Built an AI-Powered, Self-Running Propaganda Machine for $105
I paid a website developer to create a fully automated, AI-generated ‘pink-slime’ news site, programmed to create false political stories. The results were impressive—and, in an election year, alarming.
https://www.wsj.com/politics/how-i-buil ... 5-e9888705