2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
virtual9mm

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by virtual9mm »

On a personal side note, I used to live in a house in the Presidio with some very quirky folks, including a really nice girl who was flying to Tahoe on a personal airplane every weekend with Newsom's people. Her lifestyle and those of these folks didn't really inspire much confidence, TBH.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Polls don't mean too much at this point. But the latest WSJ poll shows Trump with a strong GOP primary lead, and a close general election between Trump and Biden.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden's big gamble: Staying quiet on Trump
Biden rarely utters Trump's name and declines to punch back when given the opportunity. It has some Democrats worried.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna102584

It doesn’t have me worried. He knows Trumps game. Trump has blamed Biden for every indictment against him. It wasn’t Georgia who just indicted him, it was Biden who told them to indict him. According to Trump Biden was behind all of the Indictments. He just gave the order to indict Trump and they did. All that evidence, witnesses and the grand jury was all fake.

Biden knows Trumps game alright and has not said a word about Trump and has kept a total hands off approach to the whole thing and yet Trump and Maga has accused him of orchestrating everything. Biden has played it smart and has played this the exact opposite of what Trump would be doing had the roles been reversed. Can you imagine Trump staying quiet about four Biden indictments? I certainly can’t.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's fine for Biden to mostly ignore Trump. Trump's superpower is to force everyone to constantly pay attention to him, talk about him, react to him, triangulate against him, often sink to his level or suffer by association with him. Trump is at his weakest when he can't seem to get attention, can't make himself the main character. Ignoring him and staying above the fray, while drowns himself in a deluge of indictments and trials, is a wise move.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A new ABC News / Washington Post poll came out today showing Trump at +9 points ahead of Biden. That's obviously a shockingly large lead. But the poll seems to be an outlier compared to all the other recent polls, which have the race much more even. It remains to be seen whether other polls will come out showing a big Trump lead.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:02 am
A new ABC News / Washington Post poll came out today showing Trump at +9 points ahead of Biden. That's obviously a shockingly large lead. But the poll seems to be an outlier compared to all the other recent polls, which have the race much more even. It remains to be seen whether other polls will come out showing a big Trump lead.

The fact he leads or is even close in polls is a pretty damning indication our country has some serious issues…. The only thing he brings is his own agenda, which is a wrecking ball to most of Washington…. I see that appeal, but he’s a POS. I hate DC and the politics being played, and we need desperately for someone to rise to the cause that can unify the country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:42 am
The fact he leads or is even close in polls is a pretty damning indication our country has some serious issues…. The only thing he brings is his own agenda, which is a wrecking ball to most of Washington…. I see that appeal, but he’s a POS. I hate DC and the politics being played, and we need desperately for someone to rise to the cause that can unify the country.
I don't know if that's possible any more. Anybody the Dems nominate, the GOP and their media will make out to be the devil himself. There is such a culture of hating the accomplishments of the other party and their President, I don't think there's much any ground for unity any more. The best we can hope for is somebody who gets ~51-52% of the vote.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I get it….its just frustrating. Could you imagine hiring for a company and being given only 2 candidates that both suck? It’s frustrating we’re backed into this corner.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:54 am
I get it….its just frustrating. Could you imagine hiring for a company and being given only 2 candidates that both suck? It’s frustrating we’re backed into this corner.
I hear you, but actually I don't think Biden "sucks." I think he's generally done a fine job as President, and though yes he's old and sometimes acts his age, I think his policies and decision-making have been relatively good. I also don't think he's been extreme or radically to the Left and has generally tried to govern for the benefit of all. Other than the superficial off-putting quality of his age, he *is* the sort of moderate, unity candidate you are looking for. But Republicans think he's a doddering old fool with dementia, and also a mastermind behind several conspiracies, and also the head of a crime family.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Jesus could be the Dem candidate with Mother Theresa as VP and Republicans would say he’s the devil and she is a whore. That goes without saying.

I think Biden has done a good job too. I hate that he is super old and starting to slow down but he still makes a F of a lot better decisions than Trump IMO. The US economy is doing the absolute best of any country after Covid and yet we are whining about the economy. He has brought us back to the world stage as leaders again after Trump abandoned the world. Trump would be supporting Putin if he was in office and how would the last year have played out if Trump was President? There would be no Ukraine by now and Putin would be even more emboldened. The debt is bad. It’s always bad. Trump promised to ZERO the debt if elected and raised it by 7 Trillion.

Republicans want project 2025
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025
Established in 2022, the project seeks to recruit thousands to come to Washington, D.C. to replace existing employees to restructure the federal government in the service of Trumpism, the personal ideology of Donald Trump.[3] The plan would perform a rapid takeover of the entire U.S. federal government under a maximalist version of the unitary executive theory – a theory proposing the president of the United States has absolute power of the executive branch – upon inauguration. The development of the plan is led by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative U.S. think tank…. Numerous commentators see Project 2025 as a path to the ending of American democracy, which would replace it with an undemocratic authoritarian regime, possibly led by Trump as dictator.

Presidential powers
Project 2025 seeks to place the entire U.S. federal government under direct presidential control, eliminating the independence of the Department of Justice, Federal Communications Commission, Federal Trade Commission and other agencies. The plan bases its presidential agenda on a maximalist version of the unitary executive theory, arguing that Article Two of the United States Constitution vests executive power solely to the president. The concept of personal presidential power is central to the thinking of Donald Trump, the current front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, who falsely stated in 2019 that Article Two of the United States Constitution granted him the "right to do whatever as president". A similar remark was echoed in 2018 when he claimed he could fire special counsel Robert Mueller.[4]

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These third-party candidates are really going to try to gum up the election, aren't they? Between No Labels and this clown, it could be total chaos.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He has absolutely no chance of making even the slightest dent IMO.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

More about Project 2025

Project 2025 web site
Building now for a conservative victory through policy, personnel, and training.
https://www.project2025.org/

Inside the Next Republican Revolution
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... n-00115811

They aim to defund the Department of Justice, dismantle the FBI, break up the Department of Homeland Security and eliminate the Departments of Education and Commerce, to name just a few of their larger targets. They want to give the president complete power over quasi-independent agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission, which makes and enforces rules for television and internet companies that have been the bane of Trump’s political existence in the last few years.

The Project 2025 team is scouring records and social media accounts to rule out heretics — effectively administering loyalty tests — and launching a so-called Presidential Administration Academy that tutors future MAGA bureaucrats with video classes in “Conservative Governance 101.” Dans says 17 lectures have been prepared (with titles such as “Oversight and Investigations” and “The Federal Budget Process”), with another 13 in production, and nearly a thousand potential new bureaucrats recruited from around the country are already in training. These efforts are intended to ensure that the chaos and high-level defections of Trump’s first term never happen again, along with prosecutions like the ones the ex-president now faces.

Conservatives aim to restructure U.S. government and replace it with Trump’s vision
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/c ... mps-vision
Led by the long-established Heritage Foundation think tank and fueled by former Trump administration officials, the far-reaching effort is essentially a government-in-waiting for the former president’s second term — or any candidate who aligns with their ideals and can defeat President Joe Biden in 2024.

With a nearly 1,000-page “Project 2025” handbook and an “army” of Americans, the idea is to have the civic infrastructure in place on Day One to commandeer, reshape and do away with what Republicans deride as the “deep state” bureaucracy, in part by firing as many as 50,000 federal workers.

“We need to flood the zone with conservatives,” said Paul Dans, director of the 2025 Presidential Transition Project and a former Trump administration official who speaks with historical flourish about the undertaking.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't know how seriously to take those kinds of polls at this time. It's seems MAGA base is far more consistently active in expressing their preference than the average democratic voter. It's like trying to evaluate a team during a preseason game but only one side is playing all of their starters.

I expect there will be a ton of people who aren't engaged with this stuff daily that will still turn out to vote against the MAGA cult and GOP at large.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:25 pm
I don't know how seriously to take those kinds of polls at this time. It's seems MAGA base is far more consistently active in expressing their preference than the average democratic voter. It's like trying to evaluate a team during a preseason game but only one side is playing all of their starters.

I expect there will be a ton of people who aren't engaged with this stuff daily that will still turn out to vote against the MAGA cult and GOP at large.
Totally agree…. People who are still fired up about the last election are the ones voting in those polls. How’d the polls work in 2020 for trump? If I’m not mistaken trump was leading in almost every poll then, which between that and the early tally’s coming up his way was his fuel to “stop the steal”.

Anyone else excited for next election? 😞

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:05 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Totally agree…. People who are still fired up about the last election are the ones voting in those polls. How’d the polls work in 2020 for trump? If I’m not mistaken trump was leading in almost every poll then, which between that and the early tally’s coming up his way was his fuel to “stop the steal”.

538 gave Biden a 90% chance to win. Polls were favoring him.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:23 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:05 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

538 gave Biden a 90% chance to win. Polls were favoring him.
Correct. The source of uncorrectable polling errors is that folks who tend to trust the system are more likely to answer surveys. They've tried to guesstimate around this but it does not really work.

In other words...we're screwed. But not for sure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ron DeSantis does look really uncomfortable at this point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hard to walk in boots with lifts.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."