DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Kryptonic

Re: DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Post by Kryptonic »

I’d love to see trumps appraisal…. It’s technically an income producing property so you’d use the income approach to value it, granted you usually do all approaches to value (cost, market and income approaches). I’d love to see what he reported his net operating income to be. It does have a unique quality being that it’s a former presidents working resort, and there is a value to it being of historical relevance so you’d have to look at other like properties that have sold, which would be hard since there’s typically not a huge market for former president resorts. He could imply there’s a value there and show it be comparing similar resorts to his and trying to place a value on that difference.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ins ... -107322198

If you think Trump's fraud here was a "victimless crime" and therefore he should not be punished, you're basically arguing that the US should not have any anti-fraud laws. If it's legal and okay for people to greatly lie about their financial status to get fraudulent loans, you'll have banks going under because they lended out tons of money to fraudsters who weren't good for it. It could lead to long-term harm to the US economy. Fraud like this can also lead to tax issues and tax fraud, which comes out of the American taxpayer's pocket.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Well, wouldn't you also have to show that the Trump loan was a risk that the bank shouldn't have undertaken, and also show where it was most likely to be defaulted? Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to make that claim, since the loan was paid on time, never late, with interest and the bank themselves wished to continue working with Trump in the future, because it was a good relationship and the bank made money. There is a lot of mental gymnastics going on to claim that it was too high of a risk for the banks, when it's just trying to say that you think you are better equiped to make that decision than the bank is.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:20 am
Well, wouldn't you also have to show that the Trump loan was a risk that the bank shouldn't have undertaken, and also show where it was most likely to be defaulted? Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to make that claim, since the loan was paid on time, never late, with interest and the bank themselves wished to continue working with Trump in the future, because it was a good relationship and the bank made money. There is a lot of mental gymnastics going on to claim that it was too high of a risk for the banks, when it's just trying to say that you think you are better equiped to make that decision than the bank is.
I don't have to show that. The prosecutor had to show proof of fraud in court, which they did, which is why the judge sided with the prosecution. It isn't up to us armchair lawyers to decide whether it was a crime or not; that's for the courts to decide. And they did. They decided that he committed fraud.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How Trump Maneuvered His Way Out of Trouble in Chicago
When his skyscraper proved a disappointment, Donald Trump defaulted on his loans, sued his bank, got much of the debt forgiven — and largely avoided paying taxes on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/busi ... rds%20show.
He and his family hoped the Trump International Hotel & Tower would cement their company’s reputation as one of the world’s marquee developers of luxury real estate.

Instead, the skyscraper became another disappointment in a portfolio filled with them. Construction lagged. Condos proved hard to sell. Retail space sat vacant.

Yet for Mr. Trump and his company, the Chicago experience also turned out to be something else: the latest example of his ability to strong-arm major financial institutions and exploit the tax code to cushion the blow of his repeated business failures.

The president’s federal income tax records, obtained by The New York Times, show for the first time that, since 2010, his lenders have forgiven about $287 million in debt that he failed to repay. The vast majority was related to the Chicago project.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I’m old enough to remember when Republicans loved to punish victimless crimes, such as drug possession.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/campaigns/dr ... hite%20men.
Nationwide, black men are sent to state prison on drug charges at 13 times the rate of white men. Two out of five blacks sent to prison are convicted of drug offenses, compared to one in four whites. Black men are incarcerated at 9.6 times the rate of white men.

82% of drug dealers are white. 49% of the arrested drug dealers were black.
https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/rdusda.pdf

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:54 am
https://www.hrw.org/legacy/campaigns/dr ... hite%20men.
Nationwide, black men are sent to state prison on drug charges at 13 times the rate of white men. Two out of five blacks sent to prison are convicted of drug offenses, compared to one in four whites. Black men are incarcerated at 9.6 times the rate of white men.

82% of drug dealers are white. 49% of the arrested drug dealers were black.
https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/rdusda.pdf
Wasn't it Biden's drug bill that caused most of those incarcerations?

Capitol punishment is looking better and better for drug dealers as a punishment for dealing drugs.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

If it was, Biden isn’t the one who arrests them, charges them, or sentences them

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:30 am
If it was, Biden isn’t the one who arrests them, charges them, or sentences them
The '94 crime bill Biden still brags about "created 60 new capital offenses, increased drug penalties, provided $10 billion for prison construction, & encouraged states to pass truth in sentencing' laws that curtailed or eliminated parole.”

Split T

Post by Split T »

My point is Biden is not the one arresting, charging, and sentencing black americans at a disproportionate rate compared to white americans

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:07 am
My point is Biden is not the one arresting, charging, and sentencing black americans at a disproportionate rate compared to white americans
You and I aren't either, but the difference is that Biden wrote the '94 Crime bill that essentially tied the hands of the judges to mandatory sentences.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:13 am
Split T wrote:
You and I aren't either, but the difference is that Biden wrote the '94 Crime bill that essentially tied the hands of the judges to mandatory sentences.
So call out the people who are. The hands clearly aren’t tied because they are letting white Americans get away with it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:20 am
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
So call out the people who are. The hands clearly aren’t tied because they are letting white Americans get away with it.
I don't think they are letting anyone get away with it. It was written to prosecute the kind of drugs that were in the certain demographics primarily. I would say that it targeted certain demographics,which can be blamed on Biden.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:29 am
I’d love to see trumps appraisal…. It’s technically an income producing property so you’d use the income approach to value it, granted you usually do all approaches to value (cost, market and income approaches). I’d love to see what he reported his net operating income to be. It does have a unique quality being that it’s a former presidents working resort, and there is a value to it being of historical relevance so you’d have to look at other like properties that have sold, which would be hard since there’s typically not a huge market for former president resorts. He could imply there’s a value there and show it be comparing similar resorts to his and trying to place a value on that difference.
Yep, there can only be one worst president of all time and we're lucky enough to have had him in our lifetimes.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don't think they are letting anyone get away with it. It was written to prosecute the kind of drugs that were in the certain demographics primarily. I would say that it targeted certain demographics,which can be blamed on Biden.
Even if true, how does it explain the harsher sentences and incarceration rate for black Americans vs white?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:55 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Even if true, how does it explain the harsher sentences and incarceration rate for black Americans vs white?
My guess is paid vs appointed lawyers, but I would only be guessing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess it's not that surprising that there is an incestuous relationship in these courts.

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article ... for-the-da

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/presiden ... 20offenses.
On October 6, 2022, President Biden announced a full, unconditional, and categorical pardon for certain prior federal and D.C. offenses of simple possession of marijuana. The President's pardon lifts barriers to housing, employment, and educational opportunities for thousands of people with those prior offenses.
Capitol punishment is looking better and better for drug dealers as a punishment for dealing drugs.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/10/11528472 ... -death-row
Trump does have a plan for addressing America's drug problems, even if he didn't discuss it Wednesday night: institute the death penalty for drug traffickers, smugglers and dealers. It's an approach in stark contrast with much of the world — it's also a violation of international human rights laws.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:44 pm
https://www.justice.gov/pardon/presiden ... 20offenses.
On October 6, 2022, President Biden announced a full, unconditional, and categorical pardon for certain prior federal and D.C. offenses of simple possession of marijuana. The President's pardon lifts barriers to housing, employment, and educational opportunities for thousands of people with those prior offenses.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/10/11528472 ... -death-row
Trump does have a plan for addressing America's drug problems, even if he didn't discuss it Wednesday night: institute the death penalty for drug traffickers, smugglers and dealers. It's an approach in stark contrast with much of the world — it's also a violation of international human rights laws.
Do International human rights laws have any instances where Capitol Punishment is approved? Do you think that dealing drugs would go down if the punishment fits the crime, when they were found to have sold drugs that killed the people they sold to? Like things laced with fentanyl?