Florida

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Florida

Post by Mori Chu »

I just see so much weird wacky stuff about Florida, I felt like maybe it should get its own thread.

Here's the latest one:

Superbone

Re: Florida

Post by Superbone »

Hey, somebody didn't follow the first rule of Fight Club!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All of America is wacked out now. Law and order is gone. The car pool lane and the left lane are reserved for those going over 80mph. Most of the people in the car pool lane aren’t car pools or qualified electrics. They are just solo people that know they will most likely get away with it. Need a term paper? Use an AI and cheat like everyone else. Lying and cheating is expected and encourage by many of our leaders. We see them lie all the time over and over. Lack of faith in our leaders and government institutions is at an all time low it seems and promoted by one of the party’s that seems hell bent on ending Democracy. Nearly every phone call, email or envelope in the mail a scam. Mass shootings are the norm. Our debt is off the charts ridiculous. Banks are failing. We are in a proxy war with Russia at threatens to turn into WWIII.

Florida is DiSantis’s playground. He is enjoying being Governor and thinking about the Presidency. His only purpose in life right now is his fight with Dems. That is all he cares about. That is his bread and butter with his base.Ask him what his job is and he will tell you his job is fighting Biden. Times have changed. Before if you hated Dems and were a Republican Governor you would at least give lip service to everyone in your state. “My job is help the great people of Florida by lowering the cost of health care and other necessities that all Floridians need and lower taxes. Now? It’s war on LGBT, war on Disney, war on immigrants, war on Democrats. More guns and less gun control. That is all that matters. No need to talk about debt, health care, infrastructure, hurricanes, Russia/Ukraine. Nope, none of that matters when you have a civil war to fight.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Tallahassee prosecutor explicitly mentioning giving harsher penalties to Hispanics. I can't believe they wrote this down.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Guess he figures why hide it? It’s Floridastan.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Florida is becoming a scary place, a little regime within the broader country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Disney is now suing Ron DeSantis for allegedly using the power of government to retaliate against them for protected speech. My understanding is that it's hard to win cases like this, but Disney does have a decent set of evidence in the form of damaging public statements from DeSantis and his staff that specifically mention punishing Disney for their "woke" views. Read some of the quotes below. Disney undoubtedly has some of the best lawyers money can buy, and I think they wouldn't bring this case if they didn't think they had a good chance.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s clear to me that DeSantis decided to wage a war on woke to try to win support of the MAGA base. When Disney was forced to take a stance and came out supporting LGBT+ rights DeSantis pounced and declared war on Disney and used every bit of his government powers to hurt Disney. That is definitely an abuse of power and really stupid IMO. I hope he loses. DeSantis was riding a huge wave of popularity and now his popularity has fallen off the map. Some think it might have something to do with his ridiculous behavior since. Trying to copy Trumps antics might not be such a great idea after all.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One thing Trump has learned pretty well is that you usually don't have to actually do anything about these culture war grievances. You just spit fire about them on social media or some interviews and then just let people be mad about them. DeSantis has actual state government power and took the social grievance stuff into real actual policy changes like trying to block Disney for being too "woke." But he would have done better to just rant and rave about it and avoid making any actual policy changes.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

DeSantis and Trump have one thing in common for sure.

Massive egos.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Florida's state government has been fighting against New College, an educational institution they say is too woke and liberal. Today they unilaterally blocked all 5 professors there who applied for tenure.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Show me your papers!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought this thread made some good points about the electability of Ron DeSantis. He is trying to replace Trump, which relies on his convincing voters that Trump is a losing candidate, unlike DeSantis himself. But, (a) GOP voters overwhelmingly want to support a candidate who loudly proclaims that Trump won the 2020 election and got it stolen from him, and (b) Trump is way ahead of DeSantis in the polls. Both (a) and (b) directly contradict DeSantis's message and contradict what voters are wanting and focused on. So I just don't see the pathway for RDS unless Trump gets thrown in prison or something crazy like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Disney is pulling back from FL. As they should.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

NAACP issues travel advisory for Florida, saying the state is ‘openly hostile toward African Americans’ under Gov. DeSantis’ administration
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/21/us/naacp ... of%20color.”
The NAACP issued a travel advisory for the state “in direct response to Governor Ron DeSantis’ aggressive attempts to erase Black history and to restrict diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in Florida schools,” the group said in a written statement Saturday.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Florida’s new immigration law prompts travel advisory from Latino advocacy group
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/19/economy/ ... index.html
One of the most prominent Latino advocacy groups in the United States is urging people to avoid traveling to Florida ahead of a new immigration law that’s set to go into effect in July.

“Laws like this, that do nothing more than harass immigrants, are bad for a state’s economy.” said Lydia Guzmán, who leads LULAC’s immigration committee, on Wednesday.

Echoing those remarks, Maldonado said, “immigrant workers, really, are the drivers of Florida’s economy,” and the new law is “really punching down on the communities that make this economy run.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Travel Warning Issued to LGBTQ+ People Visiting Florida
https://www.newsweek.com/travel-warning ... is-1794183
An LGBTQ+ advocacy group has taken the "extraordinary" step of issuing a travel advisory to the community it represents, warning against visiting Florida over concerns about "health, safety and freedom."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So apparently Florida isn’t the state you want to be anywhere near if you are Black, Hispanic or LGBTQ because the state is openly hostile towards you thanks to DeSantis. And apparently if you are a business in Florida that isn’t openly hostile towards those groups you will be attacked by DeSantis as well.

DeSantis thinks this is a winning strategy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a strange article. Apparently some right-wing folks like Steve Bannon are spreading gossip that Ron DeSantis is on the autism spectrum? I don't know whether he is, and it isn't relevant to his ability to serve as President. But kind of weird. Presumably based on nothing other than judgmentally criticizing some aspects of his behavior or social skills. As someone who has a daughter on the spectrum myself, I think it's lame how "autism" and "autistic" have become a criticism, a stand-in for folks who used to call someone "retarded."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

One of my (former) co-workers always tells me that he thinks every programmer is on the spectrum. I don't agree with him.
"Be Legendary."